Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

The only  difficulty here is keeping track of what lipstick you use for little Johnny and the CSA. I’m curious do they pay you well to get on here and defend them every chance you can? Hey ! Maybe that’s why we can’t get any friendlies because your salary is so high, Jesus buzz take a pay cut ! 

Now you're just recycling the same lame stuff. Get more creative.

On a related note, have you had a chance to read the most recent CSA year end statements? I've been curious to hear your misguided opinion of the current financial situation. If you need help deciphering any accounting terminology or structure I'd be happy to explain.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Now you're just recycling the same lame stuff. Get more creative.

On a related note, have you had a chance to read the most recent CSA year end statements? I've been curious to hear your misguided opinion of the current financial situation. If you need help deciphering any accounting terminology or structure I'd be happy to explain.

Have you got a link for those staements BUZZ...I wouldnt mind looking at them myself.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Have you got a link for those staements BUZZ...I wouldnt mind looking at them myself.  

Why yes, I do. They're posted in this thread. Scroll to Aug 6 for the post containing the link to the CSA FS for the year ending December 31, 2018.

Interestingly, I hadn't noticed that Robert posted links to Jamaican and Saudi federations FS. I'll have to check those out to see how they compare.

Tomori was never considering Canada.  Players want to play at the highest possible level.  Both his other options have shown the ability to get to World Cups and do well in their confederation tournaments. 

Canada has never made a World Cup in his life and while winning the Gold Cup was great, that was in 2000.  Canada has trouble even making it to the final qualifying round of World Cup qualifying. 

If you want to even be a legitimate option for a player like this you have to start buy getting to the World Cup regularly.  

On 10/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, Shway said:

Good luck kid. 

England will be rotating and capping guys at an exponential rate now with the elimination of friendlies. 

If its more important to have 5 games for England vs 50+ for another nation to each is their own - but this will be a trend. 

I don't think it is far-fetched to consider even a few England call ups more of an achievement than playing for us.

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

How much is England willing to risk given that they lost today?

Agree, I think we see Mings and Maguire. 

Did he need to file his one time switch though? Since he played for us a a youth? Apologies for my lack of "one time switch" knowledge etc.

4 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Agree, I think we see Mings and Maguire. 

Did he need to file his one time switch though? Since he played for us a a youth? Apologies for my lack of "one time switch" knowledge etc.

No I’m pretty sure he didnt need to because he didn’t play any official games with Canada just friendlies. But he would have to use his one time switch to play for us now 

On 10/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, Stouffvillain said:

If you want to even be a legitimate option for a player like this you have to start buy getting to the World Cup regularly.  

And this is most disappointing.  I have always thought that you play for your club for money, and you play for your country for love.  George Weah, George Best, Jari Litmanen, these are three that come to mind who never got the chance to play in a World Cup because their country was inept.  I don't know what other options they had, but they were loyal servants to nations that had no chance.  I lose respect for players that go nation shopping.

Now with Tomori, I'm not certain he did that.  It's disappointing he played for us then switched, but as with de Guzman, I get more of a sense that he grew up there and so is in fact much more English than Canadian.  With that, I let him go and wish him luck. 

We need a scale for these types of things: A working scale might be something like Hargreaves on one end, and de Guzman on the other.  Or maybe Arfield should be at the far end?  Something that we can rank the defections based on their egregiousness.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Rather than a scale, we should just continue to agonize over ever strong dual national and then openly weep and rage when they abandon us.  

It has worked well so far.  

Life and football is full of disappointments. Could be worse (unless you are the San Marino national team apparently).

I thought it would take a while and he still has not been fully capped but Tomori has been presented with some opportunities (Chelsea transfer ban, injury to Rudiger, mini defensive crisis in the national team) but has taken full advantage, credit to him. That said not sure Southgate is the type of manager to react to a set-back with big changes against Hungary.  Let them qualify first, but I could be wrong.

When it is fully done and dusted, I can at least fully cheer against him.

As far as loyalty goes, it is an international world these days and people have lots of loyalties, patriotism in the rich and insulated is not a given.

Hard to get much of it at club level and they live in that every day.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

19 hours ago, RJB said:

Now with Tomori, I'm not certain he did that.  It's disappointing he played for us then switched, but as with de Guzman, I get more of a sense that he grew up there and so is in fact much more English than Canadian.  With that, I let him go and wish him luck. 

We need a scale for these types of things: A working scale might be something like ********** on one end, and de Guzman on the other.  Or maybe Arfield should be at the far end?  Something that we can rank the defections based on their egregiousness.

Sorry, but I don't buy this Jonothan de Guzman 'grew up' in the Netherlands and 'feels Dutch' malarkey...never have. He's an egregious example of nation shopping in international football and his quotes trying to justify it are just BS spin. He hasn't played professionally in the Netherlands for nearly a decade, and hasn't received a Dutch cap in nearly 5 years. I'm willing to bet that, since his last cap, he hasn't spent more than the odd weekend in the Netherlands while he's still on the first flight to Pearson at the end of every European football season.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Sorry, but I don't buy this Jonothan de Guzman 'grew up' in the Netherlands and 'feels Dutch' malarkey...never have. He's an egregious example of nation shopping in international football and his quotes trying to justify it are just BS spin. He hasn't played professionally in the Netherlands for nearly a decade, and hasn't received a Dutch cap in nearly 5 years. I'm willing to bet that, since his last cap, he hasn't spent more than the odd weekend in the Netherlands while he's still on the first flight to Pearson at the end of every European football season.

Fair enough.  I guess what would I should have argued was that he never waivered - unlike Hargreaves - and said all along he wanted to play for the Netherlands.  I have a hard time seeing it as nation shopping when he didn't nation shop.  Hargreaves did, Begovic did, and perhaps even Tomori too. 

2 hours ago, BCM said:

BBC article, featuring Gale discuss the "unknown" and giving credit to Canvas for the discovery.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49990258

So basically blame Rob Gale. He obviously turned him off Canada 😛

Good article but it hurts. Even as an Englishman. He would have been so much more valuable and better for Canada. I dont begrudge tomori but I hope he doesnt turn into a a couple of caps and forgotten. 

19 hours ago, toontownman said:

So basically blame Rob Gale. He obviously turned him off Canada 😛

Good article but it hurts. Even as an Englishman. He would have been so much more valuable and better for Canada. I dont begrudge tomori but I hope he doesnt turn into a a couple of caps and forgotten. 

I think part of the problem is Rob Gale’s attitude. He’s ok with it because he’s an England fan. Rob - who pays your bills? Unprofessional 

3 hours ago, Sigma78 said:

"Former Gravesend Grammar student Fikayo Tomori is tipped to make an appearance against Bulgaria days after the Three Lions 2-1 defeat to the Czech Republic."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/former-kent-student-set-for-england-debut-214090/

They say the same thing about Tyrone Mings:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49955900

Will the gaffer truly line up a centre-back pair that both have 0 caps for England? Very risky.

Tomori might come in as a sub?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille