Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

Watched Tomori play 90 vs Liverpool. He is  very solid for a 21 yr old CB, but would not have been able to prevent the 2 moments of madness from our RB at the GC. If not for those 2 plays we would have been in the Semis. Our back 4 will only be as strong as our weakest link and needs to collectively get stronger for us to move to the next level. Teams will exploit the weak link like Haiti did. Tomori is not the magic bullet

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Sounds like a public come and get me plea for a call up. The reality is as you say. Cant believe we havent made overtures. 

I could be wrong but, as I have said before, I don't think England need to chase him if that is what he wants.  

Maguire, for instance played okay today, if a little fouly, despite his team looking pretty bad (I may have added the last sentence for purely personal reasons.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I could be wrong but, as I have said before, I don't think England need to chase him if that is what he wants.  

Maguire, for instance played okay today, if a little fouly, despite his team looking pretty bad (I may have added the last sentence for purely personal reasons.)

Doesnt mean he isnt hoping to put some pressure on by saying he has options. Think he is taking tammys lead and while he shouldnt be expecting a call he will have some decisions to make likely sooner than later. If the interest from England isnt high or a call up imminent and Nigeria/Canada are making him feel wanted it could make the difference.  

He is at least 8 or 9th on the depth chart but what he has going for himself is playing for a London club and a top 6 team which will likely put him ahead of a few better players at other clubs. England certainly dont have any reason to rush though. He isnt considered a standout prodigy. I dont see the FA gift wrapping him for us like the SFA did with Arfield.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:20 PM, Ansem said:

When he states "...the last international break I didn't get called up to anyone.  Next one maybe we'll see."  He has to be referring to England as I am confident CSA has reached out to explaining that he would be our #1 CB for now and future immediately if he joined.  This to me unfortunately makes me think he is referring only to England and awaiting the call from them.  His statement explains that "he didn't get called up by anyone".  I can only hope the CSA isn't this negligent.

If Chelsea didn't have a transfer ban, he may have been loaned back out but unfortunately or fortunately (depending how you look at it) he has taken his opportunity well at Chelsea.  I wouldn't be surprised if the call comes sooner than later.  I just hope he doesn't rush into making a decision this early.

Edited by Corazon

I choose to remain positive (or am a bit masochistic) because I enjoy watching this.  Maybe part of it is Frank and Chelsea struggling even a little.  

But I take not ruling us out a good sign and a goodish for us/bad sign from an England perspective is his club record so far. 

Chelsea have no clean sheets including the 4 full games he has played.  In the league, they have the 3rd worst goals against. Half of the games were before he began starting but it is still 2 goals in every game after.  

Real quick, I count 13 English centre backs that are under 30, have played as much or more than Tomori, and whose team do not give up 2 goals a game.  5 of the 13 are from teams that are ahead of Chelsea on points.  The 13 includes 4 of the 6 recent England call-ups. 

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

When he states "...the last international break I didn't get called up to anyone.  Next one maybe we'll see."  He has to be referring to England as I am confident CSA has reached out to explaining that he would be our #1 CB for now and future immediately if he joined.  This to me unfortunately makes me think he is referring only to England and awaiting the call from them.  His statement explains that "he didn't get called up by anyone".  I can only hope the CSA isn't this negligent.

If Chelsea didn't have a transfer ban, he may have been loaned back out but unfortunately or fortunately (depending how you look at it) he has taken his opportunity well at Chelsea.  I wouldn't be surprised if the call comes sooner than later.  I just hope he doesn't rush into making a decision this early.

I think you're giving the CSA way too much credit XD

To be fair to the CSA (yes I'm not sure why either), a call up would be official. He is pretty blatanty holding out for England, as he would being a solid part of the U21s. I am sure we have sent and will send out feelers to him but it's quite likely he hasnt been officially called up by anyone as why would we or Nigeria eat the rejection. Obviously there hasnt been any encouragement that a call other than by England would be seriously considered.  

It's s friendly reminder to England he has options. Likely an empty threat for now.