Sign in to follow this  
Binky

CSA Financial Statements - Dec. 31, 2017

Here’s 2018’s all I’ve gotten from it is that, I think, the CSA has lost 4 million over the last 2 years which could be a reason for lack of friendlies for the men’s side. The above statement is only true if having higher expenses then revenues actually matters in the end. Because it says later on they had almost $4,000,000 in cash at the end of the year.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/files/The_Canadian_Soccer_Association_Incorporated.pdf

The other telling thing is that the balance sheet shows the CSA is not this huge organization with oodles of cash to blow.  In fact, for an FA in an industrialized country, it’s pretty bare bones.

The CSA has taken to posting these documents on its website (there was a time when they were very loathe to do so) and I think they should be commended for this kind of transparency.

As far as how to read the financials, I think the story is quite telling around both the CSA and soccer in general in our country.  The statement that this is a small organization is spot on - very bare bones and limited in what it can achieve. In effect, this is a body that runs national team programs (and they are clearly not expansive programs) and sets standards (though they lack both the means to ensure execution).

Further, the revenue base is largely dependent on grass roots fees (approx 40% after you adjust for the revenue items detailed in note 7).  This financial model will never allow to the CSA to properly execute a long term national vision/strategy.  The financial architecture of the system simply won't allow for top down leadership, which in most successful countries is what you will encounter.  

So, how do you fix this?  That's the million dollar question and likely rests on (a) the sustained success of the mens program and (b) the ability to monetize any success.