Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

4 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

What’s it with people from Calgary and playing for England.

No pro teams and league for the longest time.

Want to bet that Cavalry, FC Edmonton & CPL will help retain gifted guys? 

Can't fault some of them back then to feel that there was no future at home and exiled themselves at such a young age that there was little attachment to Canada.

Now we can keep them longer and Borges being sold at a good Euro level will help convince more to stay longer and use CPL to bridge them to higher level

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No pro teams and league for the longest time.

Want to bet that Cavalry, FC Edmonton & CPL will help retain gifted guys? 

Can't fault some of them back then to feel that there was no future at home and exiled themselves at such a young age that there was little attachment to Canada.

Now we can keep them longer and Borges being sold at a good Euro level will help convince more to stay longer and use CPL to bridge them to higher level

Although I agree with your statement that the CPL will now help.  In this particular situation it had nothing to do with leaving Canada because of no future for soccer here.  Tomori was less than a year old when he left Canada, I can't imagine it had to do with him as player but more just a family decision to move. 

And lets be honest.  Tomori wouldn't be the player he is today if he stayed in Canada as he's had incredible youth training programs.

I’m kinda surprised no one  has asked this question. Why wasn’t he  identified earlier by Canada ? why didn’t he play for the U15-U17 ? Also why didn’t they call him up for more U20 games? He only played 3 friendlies ? This is where the disconnect is happening. Talented players in Europe that have an Canadian connection not being scouted and called into youth teams. Also we have horrible coaches on the youth teams

Edited by SpecialK

Good luck kid. 

England will be rotating and capping guys at an exponential rate now with the elimination of friendlies. 

If its more important to have 5 games for England vs 50+ for another nation to each is their own - but this will be a trend. 

No hard feelings towards Tomori at all; wish him all the best.

Still, he definitely makes my "could have been" roster. As an example:

G: Borjan (Red Star)
D: Cordova (Huachipato)
D: Tomori (Chelsea)
D: Henry (Whitecaps)
D: Adekugbe (Vålerenga)
M: Eustáquio (Cruz Azul)
M: Cristante (Roma)
M: Arfield (Rangers)
F: Davies (Bayern Munich)
F: Cavallini (Puebla)
F: David (Gent)

How would a team with guys playing for Chelsea, Roma, Bayern, etc, not qualify out of CONCACAF? Also I guess guys like Kadioglu (Fenerbahce), Vaikla (IFK Norrköping), Akinola (TFC) wouldn't make our starting XI.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I’m kinda surprised no one  has asked this question. Why wasn’t he  identified earlier by Canada ? why didn’t he play for the U15-U17 ? Also why didn’t they call him up for more U20 games? He only played 3 friendlies ? This is where the disconnect is happening. Talented players in Europe that have an Canadian connection not being scouted and called into youth teams. Also we have horrible coaches on the youth teams

Probably because he is f***ing English. You expect the CSA to know about every kid in the world with some tie to Canada? We are going to miss some kids that are 14,15,16 years old. Why didn't they call him up to more games? Because he didn't want to be called up, he would rather play for the country he's lived in for 99% of his life.

You expect every player with some random connection to Canada should automatically want to play for us but that is not how it f***ing works. Unsurprisingly kids who spent all of their lives living in Italy or England want to play for those countries instead. Acting as though some U15/U17 friendlies is going to want to make some English kid give up his dream to play for Canada is bananas. I hate to say it but there is nothing we could have done to get Tomori. The only way he would play for us is if he was 100% not good enough for England (and likely Nigeria).

29 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

😧 Cordova (Huachipato)
😧 Tomori (Chelsea)
😧 Henry (Whitecaps)
😧 Adekugbe (Vålerenga)

How would a team with guys playing for Chelsea, Roma, Bayern, etc, not qualify out of CONCACAF? Also I guess guys like Kadioglu (Fenerbahce), Vaikla (IFK Norrköping), Akinola (TFC) wouldn't make our starting XI.

Ferreira if he gets healthy and Gutiérrez

Hard to sympathize with anyone who is broken up about this. He was always going to play for either England or Nigeria. He already played youth ball for us and left, so what does that tell you? I don't quite understand why anyone would have any hope. Of all the "defections" we have had, this hurts the least. In fact, it doesn't hurt at all if you ask me. The writing was on the wall a long, long time ago.

We have a great squad already and we are gunning to reach new heights with players like David and Davies leading the way. Hoping for Tomori was unrealistic and greedy!

5 hours ago, Fullback said:

Probably because he is f***ing English. You expect the CSA to know about every kid in the world with some tie to Canada? We are going to miss some kids that are 14,15,16 years old. Why didn't they call him up to more games? Because he didn't want to be called up, he would rather play for the country he's lived in for 99% of his life.

You expect every player with some random connection to Canada should automatically want to play for us but that is not how it f***ing works. Unsurprisingly kids who spent all of their lives living in Italy or England want to play for those countries instead. Acting as though some U15/U17 friendlies is going to want to make some English kid give up his dream to play for Canada is bananas. I hate to say it but there is nothing we could have done to get Tomori. The only way he would play for us is if he was 100% not good enough for England (and likely Nigeria).

Much as I hate to encourage MrK but if he was so english etc why did he play youth ball for us at all??  If it was such a random connecton and had such a desire to play for england, why come play for us at all?? I get it with the dutch kid (kajagoogoo) or others with seemingly no connection....but he did come play for us, so it isnt out of the realm of possiblility that he might want to continue to play for us. 

But I agree with the rest, he;s english etc, he's gone, what were we going to do etc.  Move on to the next big thing, or focus on keeping the Habibullah kids at Vancouver, or the armenian kid with montreal.  

40 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Much as I hate to encourage MrK but if he was so english etc why did he play youth ball for us at all??  If it was such a random connecton and had such a desire to play for england, why come play for us at all??

Funny thing is... it’s because of what ole Special K complains we don’t do, he was recognized by the CSA before the great and wonderful FA did. Why was he not called by England to the exact same game he played in? Because we recognized the connection, and the talent, and offered him a chance. He knew at the time it wouldn’t cap tie so I’m sure he said “why not?” He may have even thought - “turn in a good showing against England and I’ll earn myself a call from them!”

He rants over and over about how the CSA doesn’t do enough, like somehow if this kid played half a dozen more games for us at 16 and 17 years old he would turned down this call. I doubt it.

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

😧 Cordova (Huachipato)
😧 Tomori (Chelsea)
😧 Henry (Whitecaps)
😧 Adekugbe (Vålerenga)

Theoretically this also could be our could of been roster...

G: Borjan (Serbia)
😧 Cordova (Chili)
😧 Tomori (England)
😧 Henry (Whitecaps)
😧 Adekugbe (Vålerenga
)
M: Eustáquio (Portugal)
M: Cristante (Italy)
M: Arfield (Scotland)
F: Davies (Liberia)
F: Cavallini (Uruguay)
F: David (Haiti)

😧 Cordova (Huachipato)
😧 Tomori (Chelsea)
😧 Henry (Whitecaps)
😧 Adekugbe (Vålerenga)

Akinola doesn't even start in USL League One and will (hopefully) never play for Canada.  Even if he does reach MLS level I hope we kick his ass to the curb.  What he did was despicable quite frankly and on a whole other level to any other defector.  If the CSA didn't call him at first, fine whatever.. but then to continue to play for the USA while being on TFC?  Fuck him. 

The only worse situation would be if he was Honduran and did that.

Also reading comments by Berhalter on nations cynically capping players and acting like Sergino Dest shouldn't play for Netherlands because they might do the same.  Umm.. the USA is offender #1 when it comes to cynical cap ties so no clue what world he's in.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

33 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Theoretically this also could be our could of been roster...

G: Borjan (Serbia)
😧 Cordova (Chili)
😧 Tomori (England)
😧 Henry (Whitecaps)
😧 Adekugbe (Vålerenga
)
M: Eustáquio (Portugal)
M: Cristante (Italy)
M: Arfield (Scotland)
F: Davies (Liberia)
F: Cavallini (Uruguay)
F: David (Haiti)

Cavallini played in Uruguay but he is actually Argentinean.

😧 Cordova (Huachipato)
😧 Tomori (Chelsea)
😧 Henry (Whitecaps)
😧 Adekugbe (Vålerenga)

As someone else mentioned Gutierrez, Fereirra and with Kadioglu and you got one scary lineup.  Wow!  Not even including players like Millar, Larin & Hoilett in this lineup.  Depth we've never seen before.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Funny thing is... it’s because of what ole Special K complains we don’t do, he was recognized by the CSA before the great and wonderful FA did. Why was he not called by England to the exact same game he played in? Because we recognized the connection, and the talent, and offered him a chance. He knew at the time it wouldn’t cap tie so I’m sure he said “why not?” He may have even thought - “turn in a good showing against England and I’ll earn myself a call from them!”

He rants over and over about how the CSA doesn’t do enough, like somehow if this kid played half a dozen more games for us at 16 and 17 years old he would turned down this call. I doubt it.

Oh please your just a CSA ass kissing piss ant. Get over yourself! Man I swear you must work for the CSA because every time ... hey Buzz how many European or other Canadian team based players got named to the U17 roster ??? How many times do we see this a TON! and if you don’t believe check the rosters! We don’t scout very well and we don’t call duals at the youth level. Even Bryan Cristante brother said this ! If Bryan got the call when he was younger it could have been a different story! If you don’t believe check Twitter it’s there. So go get your  lipstick on I think Little Johnny needs a smooch. Done !

31 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Oh please your just a CSA ass kissing piss ant. Get over yourself! Man I swear you must work for the CSA because every time ... hey Buzz how many European or other Canadian team based players got named to the U17 roster ??? How many times do we see this a TON! and if you don’t believe check the rosters! We don’t scout very well and we don’t call duals at the youth level. Even Bryan Cristante brother said this ! If Bryan got the call when he was younger it could have been a different story! If you don’t believe check Twitter it’s there. So go get your  lipstick on I think Little Johnny needs a smooch. Done !

Solid response except you forgot the other one... “The CSA needs to book games against top European teams!”

7 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No problem, I'm sure it's difficult to keep track of all your illogical, unfounded and over the top arguments. Especially when you're trying to come up with petty, personal insults.

The only  difficulty here is keeping track of what lipstick you use for little Johnny and the CSA. I’m curious do they pay you well to get on here and defend them every chance you can? Hey ! Maybe that’s why we can’t get any friendlies because your salary is so high, Jesus buzz take a pay cut !