Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

8 minutes ago, An Observer said:

hopefully for him, he's not another Crisante and plays a few matches and never again.  But i get it.  If I was him, England would be my goal at this stage.  Too bad for us but honestly, he is English after all so I cant blame him

To be fair cristante has made the italy squad for 11 matches seeing the field 6 times. He was called up to june euro qualifiers, i dont think he’ll never again play for italy, he is still in the mix. 

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

He'll get called up to the next England squad

And if not England, I think Nigeria is strongly in the picture too. He would be playing with all his boys and other young English guys who are switching allegiance to Nigeria.

I have as much hope for him as I did Crisante...

I've said it before, he left Canada as an infant.  Was raised in England and grew up in a Nigerian family.

I don't doubt for one second that he feels less Canadian than the other too.

I am happy for him and how well he is doing right now and I will not be surprised if he is called up to England soon.  It will be a tough loss for Canada but both him and Cristante have very little connection to Canada minus Tomori's one or two camps with our u20 program.  The most painful part of these two is how good they both are and are going to be.

42 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I've said it before, he left Canada as an infant.  Was raised in England and grew up in a Nigerian family.

I don't doubt for one second that he feels less Canadian than the other too.

I am happy for him and how well he is doing right now and I will not be surprised if he is called up to England soon.  It will be a tough loss for Canada but both him and Cristante have very little connection to Canada minus Tomori's one or two camps with our u20 program.  The most painful part of these two is how good they both are and are going to be.

Completley. It is most painful to know how much more impactful both would have been for the Canadian program than either England and Italy. I don't begrudge them their decisions at the end of the day. 

Maybe I am weird, but I enjoy the journey.  It is nice to care about someone else in the league everyone around me talks about.  It gives me something to discuss. 

I have no illusions about us being first choice with him, but we have been rejected before, much more harshly and the history of my club team in my lifetime is one of false dawns and crashing realities.   So if he goes elsewhere, I will be okay and there is not actual harm in talking about him.  Nothing bad happens if we maintain some hope. 

But if people want to call it, the official moment could be coming.

The Independent did an article today(really last night) saying Southgate is considering it.  No quotes which always leave a question mark, especially with the British press, but they are talking about it for the first time.

Sky put out their "power ratings" for call-ups.  Tomori is second behind Tarkowski at centre back, with Maguire and Burn rounding out the four.  But that list also does not include Jordan Pickford at keeper and does include our defender Aaron Cresswell, who go smashed by City, did not play until scoring two goals in the last two games.  He is not going to get a called-up. 

- On the starting England centre-back, they are a little over a year removed from a World Cup semi-final, I would doubt they will be abandoned just yet.  Will Southgate abandon Mings after one call-up or not consider still semi-recently capped Tarkowski who is in good form? Southgate played centre- back and has seemed their most unbiased manager for a while, so if Tomori goes it will at least be on merit. 

Just some thoughts on either side. 

There with 4 other centre-backs. Interesting. 

Some quotes from Southgate

On whether Abraham selection means he has chosen to play for England permanently.

"I haven't discussed it with him. I've left it to Frank (Lampard) to let him know he is in the squad.

We've got close to 100s of players in our squad who are dual nationality. It's not ethically right to give them a cap to make sure they can't play for someone else. 

Both he and Tomori are in the squad on merit. They have been developed through English football, they are English players. I'm sure they have huge desire to play for England."

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I don't blame him at all.  He has spent 21 of his 22 years of life in England.  To him we are just a country where he was born and who gave him an opportunity to play youth internationally when he was relatively unknown to England.  Ironically his performances as captain for Canada vs Rashford and the England team likely played a large role in England bringing him over to their program.

To be honest, I don’t begrudge him picking England for all the reasons people said but not sure it’s the best decision for him at this stage. He could easily end up with 1 or 2 caps and never play international football again. But with these guys their egos get in the way and they make these decisions. Sometimes they pan out, most of the time they don’t. 

11 minutes ago, An Observer said:

To be honest, I don’t begrudge him picking England for all the reasons people said but not sure it’s the best decision for him at this stage. He could easily end up with 1 or 2 caps and never play international football again. But with these guys their egos get in the way and they make these decisions. Sometimes they pan out, most of the time they don’t. 

I don't agree with this. He's 21 and starting for Chelsea, he's not going to make it far anywhere with an attitude in which he thinks he's not good enough to play for England. You have to have belief in yourself to compliment the skill. If he said hey im going to play for Nigeria or Canada because it's less challenging to make the squad, he'd be setting himself up for mediocrity. 

Also, who says it's about ego? Maybe he feels more English than Canadian or Nigerian given he grew up 21 of 22 years in England? 

Edited by king1010

If we weren’t  mediocre across-the-board  From U17 to the senior level we would have a better chance at getting dual nationals ! I wish the CSA would be  proactive and review. U17 World Cup and the U23  Olympic qualifier are coming up, we need to send the best team  possible. We need to change the world’s view on Canadian Soccer and it starts with winning. Tomori was  notice when we played against England. Well we need to play more and do well vs bigger nations. We need to become  relevant and become a real option for players. 

Good luck Tomori ! Kick ass 

28 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I don't agree with this. He's 21 and starting for Chelsea, he's not going to make it far anywhere with an attitude in which he thinks he's not good enough to play for England. You have to have belief in yourself to compliment the skill. If he said hey im going to play for Nigeria or Canada because it's less challenging to make the squad, he'd be setting himself up for mediocrity. 

Also, who says it's about ego? Maybe he feels more English than Canadian or Nigerian given he grew up 21 of 22 years in England? 

I agree he should aspire to play for England as I am certain he feels more English than anything else but just not sure I would commit my international future to them after having a few starts in the premiership.  I would concentrate on my club career and when I was established and I knew I was going to be first or second choice I would commit. 

Southgate is not the worst person in football, if he says they won't cap a player to keep him from another nation, I give him the benefit of a doubt that that is true.  These are not nothing games coming up, one is against the second best team in their group, and they are both away.

Tomori deserves to be there, given his performance so far compared to others.  Does not necessarily mean they will throw him in.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford