Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

20 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Wow I missed the news that he could actually still be eligible.

There is no way England don't call him up soon the way he's been playing for Milan, so this is highly unlikely but...man, what an addition he would be to this squad.

Tomori he would be an addition for us but we just are not in the running with England but also Nigeria could cap tie him as well 

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretty legit news sources are claiming Jamaica will try and get Mason Greenwood to represent them in this years upcoming qualifiers. I have no idea how this could be possible and Tomori wouldn't be eligible. Greenwood played a Nation's league match for them less than a year ago, while Tomori played form them in 2019.

Jamaica can try all they like, but a 19-year old Englishmen playing first-team minutes for Manchester United isn't going to give up on a future playing for England by turning out for Jamaica, no matter how much jerk chicken his nana used to feed him when he was growing up, even if they could somehow get around the 3-year waiting period for changing countries. Not going to happen. If his career crashes and burns badly over the next few years, maybe they get him for the 2030 cycle.

3 hours ago, Weng said:

Greenwood is pulling a Jonathan De Guzman style move.  Leak out that maybe he’ll play with Jamaica to maybe make England take notice and bring him into the team a little quicker.

I doubt it but even if that's true, come on between Jamaica and England no way he passes up playing for England.

In Tomori's case, if he is still eligible for Canada or Nigeria, he won't pass up on playing for England either especially if Southgate plans on calling him up soon which I have no doubt about.

Edited by TGAA_Star

• 1 month later...

So even though he has already rejected us, and there seemed to be no pathway back, a small part of me (against my better judgement) can’t let go of the idea that there is a tiny chance we could lure Tomori back if we qualified for Qatar. (And this assumes I am correct in believing there is still a pathway for it to happen given the way the rules are currently written)

Normally I wouldn’t torture myself with the idea, but he would be such a massive upgrade for us in a key area.  I honestly think that single addition would make us a far tougher team to beat.  Brotherhood and team chemistry are important but there is no way a starting CB for AC Milan wouldn’t be considered as an immediate starter for us.    

So what might help that kind of slim possibility materialize?

- he has to recognize that England have totally used him for their own purposes.  He was given a cynical cap-tie in the 84th minute of a game that was over (3-0) and then no further call ups despite England playing in the Euros and numerous friendlies since then.  That has to be a slap in the face.  Who knows if it would be enough to make him consider other options, but I don’t think it hurts our cause.

- the fact that he is playing in Italy may play a small factor in keeping him off the England team sheet.  AC Milan is obviously a massive club but England clearly have a preference for guys playing in their domestic league. Out of sight out of mind…? 

- He knows he could anchor a Canadian team that is undeniably on the rise.  Looking at the folks he would be playing with in the red and white, we are no longer a team of anonymous journeymen.  He would be looking at an international career playing with guys mostly competing at very high levels.

- the only way it would happen in November of 2022 is if we manage to qualify for Qatar, so we would be giving him the chance to play in a WC.  That has to be pretty tempting when compared to maybe getting a chance to play again with England at some undetermined future point (where he is clearly down the current pecking order among young defenders).   

One question is how it might affect team chemistry to insert a player at the WC who didn’t help us get there, but I have to think that his pedigree would force him into our starting lineup.   He would just be such a big upgrade that I can’t see us not getting him integrated immediately.  

Another issue is whether we would be the preferred other option or if Nigeria would still be on the table if he decided to depart team England.   That is a wild card that is pretty hard to assess, but I assume Nigeria would always have a strong enough squad to have a shot at WC qualification out of CAF   

I guess the last (and bigger) question is whether all of the above would convince him to turn down an England call if it comes between now and November of next year based only on the chance that we might qualify.  I have no idea if Herdman or anyone from the CSA would be in communication at this point, but it might only take one call from England to make all of this moot.  And related to that, would England give him another cynical call between now and November just to kill the chance that this could happen?  If that call does come, we will have to be in a really strong position to qualify for this to even remain a possibility.

I know it is an exercise in masochism, but a small part of me can’t let go of the hope, however faint, that we could inherit a truly elite CB to really improve at the back.  Imagine Tomori anchoring a back 3 with guys like Miller and Johnston after they have another year of experience.  Gah  

Edited by dyslexic nam

28 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I mean a 50+ cap international career with possible 2 world cups, playing with Davies, David, Eustaquio, Larin. Gotta be somewhat appealing.

I like the way you guys thinks. Do we know who his closest soccer mates are? Probably, nobody Canadian, I'd imagine  I bet Herdman will be pulling out all the tactics to try and land a guy like this, including tapping in to friends and connections in the soccer world.

40 minutes ago, nolando said:

I like the way you guys thinks. Do we know who his closest soccer mates are? Probably, nobody Canadian, I'd imagine  I bet Herdman will be pulling out all the tactics to try and land a guy like this, including tapping in to friends and connections in the soccer world.

He follows Davies on Instagram (and vice versa) but he also follows a number of English players (and a lot of girls in bikinis).  

Maybe Phonzie could work on him for us.  

8 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Oh, I forgot, I think he could be called as soon as november 2021 no? His last and only England cap was in 2019.

Pretty sure it is November 2022 because it has to be 3 years after the cap. Thus he can only join up if we qualify without him - and even then he basically joins us on the plane to Qatar.  

11 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Damn yeah I thought it was 2 years.

In fact it might gives us more chance to get him.

Like I said a few posts up, we will need to be in really good shape in WCQ to have any hope of luring him away.  If England happens to call him up and we aren’t in a strong qualifying position, there isn’t much point in declining them so that he can wait around for 2026.  

If he has any interest at all, it will likely be decided in the next few windows before he is even eligible.  

• 4 weeks later...

Carrying on the discussion from the other thread...

I concur that Milan are in a much different place now than when Tomori joined them a season ago. Their first Champions League match is against Liverpool, and you know the English fans and press will notice if he has a strong performance. There definitely would be some coincidental symmetry if he puts himself on the English radar a second time by playing against, not for, an English side. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Looks like Tomori was on the bench for Milan’s CL loss yesterday - does anyone know if he has lost his starting spot?   Anything that would keep him off the England radar for the next year would be okay by me.  

he started and played 90. 

Oh well.  On the bright side, I guess I don’t need to buy any more cards.  

I know it was always a long shot, but part of me thought it might actually happen.  I thought the fact that it was a total throwaway cap might make him reconsider, but these are WCQ so can’t blame him for committing.  Hopefully they don’t lock him up and then discard him.