Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

Id imagine that Southgates first coach CB pair is still Maguire and Stones. This week shows that Tomori is behind Lewis Dunk and Mark Guehl which is crazy at this point. I guess you also have to think that if Ben White didnt leave the WC squad he'd still be ahead of Tomori to. I would think that England thinks highly of Colvill (Chelsea player, pardon the spelling) as Southgate has name-dropped him several times as a u21. Sure Southgate has picked Connor Coady and Tyron Mings over Tomori at points. 

Youd have to believe that Tomori would consider the switch at this point if he wants to play in a WC. But maybe he hangs on until after the Euros when Southgate is expected to retire. 

Edited by top cheese

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Has just  three but the last one came after he was 21 (and after the rule change in 2020) , so as the rules stand, he can't ever switch.

Wait, I thought there was some news that said he was still available due to a misunderstanding of the rule...

55 minutes ago, Shway said:

Wait, I thought there was some news that said he was still available due to a misunderstanding of the rule...

TLDR

I am very willing to be corrected but...no he was tied permanently from his first England cap. He was over 21.

I think some confusion came when (Irish) people were freaking out about Evan Ferguson switching but he can't either.

Though it would be a different part of the rule that prevents Tomori.

You can switch (3 years later) if you have played in no more than 3 "A" team matches ("official  or "non-official") and, in the last match you appeared, in an official competition, you "had not turned 21 years old". (Also, no matches can be in World Cup or confederation cup finals, but that does not apply to either player.)

Ferguson's matches were all under 21 - obviously, he's 18 - but he played for Ireland 6 times, it does not matter if 3 were friendlies ("non-official").

Tomori was 21 or older in all the 3 matches he played in for England and they were all in official competitions.  The number of matches doesn't matter at that point. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Whether the rule states it or not, he’s still eligible for Canada in my opinion, Fifa is always bending and changing rules.

We would also need to hear something from him or read some interest somewhere?

Any podcast made interviews with him?

We can speculate as much as we want, but if he doesn't want to play for us, it doesn't matter. Even if he would be our #1 CB and automatic starter, if he doesn't feel like eating a poutine at 3AM, we can't force him.

• 4 weeks later...

Tomori is becoming the poster child of why it is important to weigh up your options.  The saddest part about the entire debacle is that he has actually deserved to be included in most England squads including World Cup & Euro.  I always thought that his decision to join England would pay off in the long run because while despite not being called, he was young still.  Now he will be 26 in December with only 4 caps and only 186 total minutes played for England.  It also looks like he will never get in ahead of Southgate's favourites.  By the time Southgate is gone, Tomori's form may drop and other younger domestic based CB's may be chosen ahead of him as well.

Interesting that his 4 caps for England are:

FIFA World Cup Qualifying,

UEFA Nations League

UEFA European Cup Qualifying

International Friendly

Edited by Corazon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tomori will be out with a hamstring injury I believe. The estimate is around 2 months.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:52 PM, Corazon said:

Interesting that his 4 caps for England are:

FIFA World Cup Qualifying,

UEFA Nations League

UEFA European Cup Qualifying

International Friendly

In his 5 caps for England, none were in a Euro Qualifier or WCQ match that mattered.

• 2 months later...

Looks like Tomori was left off of England squad once again in the crucial friendlies this month leading up to the Euros this summer.  Could he miss another major tournament?  He will have one more chance in a pair of friendlies before in June in the leadup to the Euro's.  Included in this months squad are Centerback options Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Dunk, Konsa & Branthwaite.

He likely has to head back to England if he ever wants to become a regular at England.  There are some rumours that some of the bigger clubs in England are interested in him.

9 hours ago, Corazon said:

Looks like Tomori was left off of England squad once again in the crucial friendlies this month leading up to the Euros this summer.  Could he miss another major tournament?  He will have one more chance in a pair of friendlies before in June in the leadup to the Euro's.  Included in this months squad are Centerback options Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Dunk, Konsa & Branthwaite.

He likely has to head back to England if he ever wants to become a regular at England.  There are some rumours that some of the bigger clubs in England are interested in him.

You can't blame England for leaving him out of the squad for this international window. He was out injured for over 2 months and if just now making his way back into the starting lineup.

14 hours ago, masster said:

You can't blame England for leaving him out of the squad for this international window. He was out injured for over 2 months and if just now making his way back into the starting lineup.

Agreed, but it also hasn’t stopped Southgate in the past from selecting certain players who have been injured or out of form and on the bench.  Kalvin Phillips for example; who ironically has finally been dropped.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 8:53 AM, Corazon said:

Agreed, but it also hasn’t stopped Southgate in the past from selecting certain players who have been injured or out of form and on the bench.  Kalvin Phillips for example; who ironically has finally been dropped.

To be fair, people actually got to see how poor he played.

I think he will come good again but he was awful.