Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

11 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Hockey. BC had very few good hockey players in the 70s and 80s when we produced good soccer players. The best athletes chose hockey.

Ok now this is something to work with. TBH i would have gone with Baseball since a bunch of BC kids are in the majors these days and the Langley team has rep. Canada at the LLWS a few times.

We'd need a guy like Kent to figure out what the relative pop. of GVA was/is as a % of the Canadian pop. back then and now, then figure out the % of NHL players from Canada then and now and total # of NHLers for both times to see if GVA representation has changed. I noticed there were some decent players from GVA like Peter McNab, Glenn Anderson etc. Nowadays you have guys like Lucic, Kane, Johannsen. The NHL has 31 teams so there are more opportunities to make it, but Canadians make up about 50% compared to the 70's and 80's when we made up 80-90%.

11 hours ago, BradMack said:

Also @jpg75 I was not calling you out for racism initially, I was more so just pointing out the irony that you posted it in the Kadin Chung thread and I happen to think he's a top prospect for us (obviously below the elite prospects like Davies, Tabla, and David). Although you are treading some dangerous waters with the things you followed up with. Im sure it is not intentional. 

I know you weren't Brad and the irony wasn't lost on me either. This is something i've given some thought to a few times over the years and just broke out when harry made a (in my eyes) ridiculous statement. 

When i visited Vancouver in 97 a friend of a friend told me "Hongcouver" was already 1/3 Asian. If that's the case then we should have been producing some decent talent eligible for China, India etc. for a while already. The only Asian-Canadian i can think of on the MNT in the past few decades is Issey and he was from Calgary and left for England as a kid.

Was Jeff Clarke part Asian? Am i missing anyone obvious?

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

I know you weren't Brad and the irony wasn't lost on me either. This is something i've given some thought to a few times over the years and just broke out when harry made a (in my eyes) ridiculous statement. 

When i visited Vancouver in 97 a friend of a friend told me "Hongcouver" was already 1/3 Asian. If that's the case then we should have been producing some decent talent eligible for China, India etc. for a while already. The only Asian-Canadian i can think of on the MNT in the past few decades is Issey and he was from Calgary and left for England as a kid.

If you were hanging out with a guy using the term 'Hongcouver' you clearly have some issues to deal with. The fact you even quote that garbage proves this. Apart from the stats being dead wrong, not surprisingly. 

I respect you as a poster a lot but I have no problem drawing the line with issues like these. 

Posted by someone with family in Vancouver since 1906.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

I played with Mark Chung as a youth in Markham - unfortunately because he moved down to the US he became eligible for them and played for the US, rather than Canada. That's the closest I can think of - had he played for us.

But.......things can change over time. I was watching on you tube the entirety of 1980 Canada vs. US WCQ match from Empire Stadium in Vancouver. Several things have changed, some for the better (we're not longer playing on astroturf with predominant BC lions football lines all over the field), some for the worse (we're no longer beating the US regularly with clearly the better team on the field the way we used to in the NASL days) but arguably the biggest change is seeing that the entire Canadian team in 1980 were white - the player with the "darkest" skin on the field was probably Robert Iarusci (who scored a great goal on a header in that game by the way - although not as good as the disallowed goal by Gerry Gray which look like it went in to me) and he's as white as I am (ie. a Canadian of Italian heritage). I'm not aware of many black national team players before then or even NASL'ers. Randy Samuel presumably would be the first prominent one by the mid-80's, and yet look how different things are today as you pointed out with the number of black players on the team since then.

So you never know what the next 10-20 years might bring in this regard. Hopefully a better team, and some actual victories against the Americans!

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you were hanging out with a guy using the term 'Hongcouver' you clearly have some issues to deal with. The fact you even quote that garbage proves this. Apart from the stats being dead wrong, not surprisingly. 

I respect you as a poster a lot but I have no problem drawing the line with issues like these. 

Posted by someone with family in Vancouver since 1906.

Gee, i get tarred and feathered for hanging out with someone i just met and never saw again after that trip? Thanks.

Point is, one of your VanCity brethren was using a slur back then because he and others had already noticed a large shift in demographics. If it wasn't 1/3 can you clarify what the % was?

24 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Gee, i get tarred and feathered for hanging out with someone i just met and never saw again after that trip? Thanks.

Point is, one of your VanCity brethren was using a slur back then because he and others had already noticed a large shift in demographics. If it wasn't 1/3 can you clarify what the % was?

Gee, your source was good enough for you then and it is now, you are still citing it after 20 years. I didn't choose him. If you never saw the guy again, why is he worth quoting now?  It's your choice jpg75. 

Anyways, why worry about the real stats, they really are not at all important. It is way better just to make them up for certain kinds of arguments.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Gee, your source was good enough for you then and it is now, you are still citing it after 20 years. I didn't choose him. If you never saw the guy again, why is he worth quoting now?  It's your choice jpg75. 

Anyways, why worry about the real stats, they really are not at all important. It is way better just to make them up for certain kinds of arguments.

Because it was the first time i heard that term used. Up until the 90's most of Toronto had been white, and more specifically the neighbourhood my dad lived in and the suburbs my mom moved to were even more white. The least white people i knew growing up were the Greeks on my soccer team and the one black guy on my hockey team. So imagine hearing that this city i'm visiting, in Canada, is 1/3 non-white. Pretty significant for a guy in his early 20's.

Anyways, you seem less interested in debating the merits of my argument and more in trying to take some moral high ground.

Socceronly, maybe you can spin some of the posts here into a new thread? 

15 hours ago, jpg75 said:

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Here's a fun fact - 1996 (around the time of this meeting) was the first year in which non-white immigrants to Canada were greater than white immigrants...

Anyway, what does it matter. Kadin Chung, anyone?

I don't know why I'm weighing into this. Perhaps because I found it funny when that Conservative MP told Trudeau to person-up! The Voyageurs can't be so politically correct. Leave that to the Southsiders.

I think it's hard to understand Vancouver even living here. Chinese people have been here longer than almost anybody. I remember the early 90s at UBC my CBC friends used the term "Hongers" all the time. I find this hilarious now as people in the business community here love dealing with people from HK, as opposed to "Mainlanders" which is now a slur in the CBC community. I once heard a somewhat racist theory from someone from HK that all people from China with class either fled or were killed by Mao. :)

I know Nolando and myself and, frankly, 50%+ of my friends are doing our best to create a new race of Euro/Asian metis who will be good at soccer, piano, and math god damn it.

It does create some interest dilemmas though. My daughter is in kindergarten is struggling to find her "group." It's Catholic school and she's quite disappointed she's not Filipino or, at very least, "full Chinese." If you want a good conspiracy theory, I 99% believe that there are Chinese spies in BC who's sole mission is to promote Chinese nationalism in the diaspora. It seems to be working on my daughter at any rate. I've tried to blow her mind by explaining that her popo and kung kung are actually from Africa, but I don't think she's ready to process that.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

been playing very well. Pah Modou Kah went out of his way to say he should be in the CMNT mix. Funny looking at this thread, Kadin could be a poster boy for the importance of the CPL

He was solid last season making very few mistakes, but he's taken it to another level this season. He's combining really well with Bustos on the right and the other forwards, while still being defensively solid. His ball winning seems to have improved as well

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...