Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

39 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

As I understand it, Chung decided he didn't want to be on the Caps, not the other way around. I am sure that next year around this time, we will be reading about Norman opting to go to Europe to get playing time instead of re-signing with the Caps. Disappointingly, the pattern is now well-established. 

Chung decided not to accept a USL loan. As I understand it he was never going to be with the Caps this year. And I don't think anyone will be surprised if Norman doesn't stick. He's the lowest preforming youth player the Caps have signed in years and the current u18s have two or three bonafide MLS prospects that will be pushing for his minutes sooner than later.

Edited by harrycoyster

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Chung decided not to accept a USL loan. As I understand it he was never going to be with the Caps this year. And I don't think anyone will be surprised if Norman doesn't stick. He's the lowest preforming youth player the Caps have signed in years and the current u18s have two or three bonafide MLS prospects that will be pushing for his minutes sooner than later.

Stick to the script @harrycoyster, the Caps are evil and sign prospects just to have them sit...only to ruin any hopes of a pro career and also Canada's resurgence. That's the only acceptable narrative on this site.

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

Who do you see as the top U18s?

Ruby, Hernandez, Brooks, Verhoeven, Hasal. All have CMNT potential. Unfortunately, Hasal is the only one that isn't a dual national and Verhoeven and Brooks are currently representing the USA/Jamaica internationally. Hernandez played for our u17s but hasn't made it a secret that he'd accept a Mexico call.

Ruby has all the tools to be an MLS defender, even if he doesn't have a crazy ceiling. Hasal is a top 3 keeper in the USSDA age group when healthy. Brooks is the most dominant u17 player we've had since Davies, and trained with VWC2 as a 16 year old last year...Joevin Jones potential at RB/RW. Verhoeven is a pivot in midfield that can already pass on an MLS level. Hernandez puts the ball in the back of the net like few players in the USSDA can....he's not incredibly fast or strong or skillful on the ball...he just finds the ball and scores. 

Edited by harrycoyster

28 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Ruby, Hernandez, Brooks, Verhoeven, Hasal. All have CMNT potential. Unfortunately, Hasal is the only one that isn't a dual national and Verhoeven and Brooks are currently representing the USA/Jamaica internationally. Hernandez played for our u17s but hasn't made it a secret that he'd accept a Mexico call.

Ruby has all the tools to be an MLS defender, even if he doesn't have a crazy ceiling. Hasal is a top 3 keeper in the USSDA age group when healthy. Brooks is the most dominant u17 player we've had since Davies, and trained with VWC2 as a 16 year old last year...Joevin Jones potential at RB/RW. Verhoeven is a pivot in midfield that can already pass on an MLS level. Hernandez puts the ball in the back of the net like few players in the USSDA can....he's not incredibly fast or strong or skillful on the ball...he just finds the ball and scores. 

Who could Ruby play for ?

we could probably pull Brooks back tbh, but it sucks that we lose so many Dual's.

8 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Who could Ruby play for ?

we could probably pull Brooks back tbh, but it sucks that we lose so many Dual's.

England or Ireland, I forget.

And yeah, it sucks but it's a reality of modern Vancouver...and hey, as long as some of these kids that end up being really good end up as CMNT players it's a net benefit in the long run. Looking at demographic trends, one of the worst things that can happen to the CMNT is China and south Asian countries starting to develop good soccer programs. The number of Asians in Vancouver is expected to surpass the number of non-Asians in Vancouver within 10 years. 

4 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Looking at demographic trends, one of the worst things that can happen to the CMNT is China and south Asian countries starting to develop good soccer programs. The number of Asians in Vancouver is expected to surpass the number of non-Asians in Vancouver within 10 years. 

Yes, would hate to lose all the ultra athletic and supremely talented South Asian kids that have been a staple of our MNT's success.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

and when looking at the ultra successful Caps u17s...which has 5 Asian-descent players regularly in the 18, including CMNT youth players Ali Zohar, Justyn Sandhu, and Logan Chung.

Who have all signed pro contracts already and helped lead Canada to 2026 WC glory in your wet dreams.

Ever wonder why the BC Lower Mainland has receded in importance in regard to their contribution to Canadian soccer? And why so many of your clubs top prospects are from Alberta? 

29 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Yes, would hate to lose all the ultra athletic and supremely talented South Asian kids that have been a staple of our MNT's success.

7 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Kind of a strange comment to make in the Kadin Chungsingh thread....

FYP.

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Who have all signed pro contracts already and helped lead Canada to 2026 WC glory in your wet dreams.

Ever wonder why the BC Lower Mainland has receded in importance in regard to their contribution to Canadian soccer? And why so many of your clubs top prospects are from Alberta? 

As somebody who has coached a lot of really good Asian-descent players in BC, I take personal offence against whatever backwards, bullshit argument you're trying to make here. Asian-descent players are already a cornerstone of BC youth soccer, and their numbers are only increasing. Claiming they are unimportant or are actively hurting BC soccer is wrong, racist, and against everything we should stand for.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

Claiming they are unimportant or are actively hurting BC soccer is wrong, racist, and against everything we should stand for.

Of course you would use the racism card! Sport is a meritocracy, the best will be acknowledged and rewarded, right? So if i were to point out that Black Canadians are over represented at the highest levels in Soccer in this country, is that racist? No.

So why is it racist to point out that Asians are under represented? If they make up almost 50% of the VGA pop. they should probably account for close to 50% of the top prospects in Soccer and probably most other sports for that matter. Is it a matter of genetics? Culture? Economics? Beats me. But the #'s don't lie pal.

9 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

^ Yes it is.

You're racist because you repeatedly make despective generalizations based on race and culture. Pretty simple.

Sorry, which question are you answering? Yes it is racist to point out that Blacks are over represented in Soccer? No it isn't. That's a fact.

Ok i admit i shouldn't have been dismissive and belittling in my first post in response to Harry.

My hypothesis still remains though. Demographics have shifted in BC and the contributions to the CMNT program have drastically decreased in the last 30 years. What else has changed? I'm willing to listen and be persuaded by others arguments.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Of course you would use the racism card! Sport is a meritocracy, the best will be acknowledged and rewarded, right? So if i were to point out that Black Canadians are over represented at the highest levels in Soccer in this country, is that racist? No.

So why is it racist to point out that Asians are under represented? If they make up almost 50% of the VGA pop. they should probably account for close to 50% of the top prospects in Soccer and probably most other sports for that matter. Is it a matter of genetics? Culture? Economics? Beats me. But the #'s don't lie pal.

Sure, Black Canadians are over-represented and Canadians of Asian descent under represented (in major metro areas). Let's leave it at that and look at the individual player. Agree with @Northvansteve that this thread is moving in the wrong direction and with @harrycoyster for his short and sweet statement on, to me anyway, why Canada is what it is...and we are better for it.

47 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Ok i admit i shouldn't have been dismissive and belittling in my first post in response to Harry.

My hypothesis still remains though. Demographics have shifted in BC and the contributions to the CMNT program have drastically decreased in the last 30 years. What else has changed? I'm willing to listen and be persuaded by others arguments.

Hockey. BC had very few good hockey players in the 70s and 80s when we produced good soccer players. The best athletes chose hockey.

47 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Hockey. BC had very few good hockey players in the 70s and 80s when we produced good soccer players. The best athletes chose hockey.

This actually makes a lot of sense... it coincides with the arrival of the Canucks pretty well. Its also worrying to me that clubs in BC can't seem to get along like in Ontario and Quebec. People think of BC as a soccer leader in this country (along with Ontario and Quebec) and its very worrying that the can't get a L1O/PLSQ type league running. 

Also @jpg75 I was not calling you out for racism initially, I was more so just pointing out the irony that you posted it in the Kadin Chung thread and I happen to think he's a top prospect for us (obviously below the elite prospects like Davies, Tabla, and David). Although you are treading some dangerous waters with the things you followed up with. Im sure it is not intentional. 

There are some legitimate questions to be asked, and we really do need to able to talk about them to address them.

The demographics and economics of Vancouver have changed drastically.   Rogue leagues are an issue, reducing income provincially and nationally and those players being pushed outside the system.    There are also cultural differences  wrt to what should be emphasized or considered appropriate for kids. 

From what I have seen putting my kid in soccer camps in BC over the years, there is no basis to say any particular demographic is less interested in soccer. That is simply false. Even when he did Engineering day camps at UBC, with at least 50% of kids of origins mentioned, he was shocked that during all breaks they all wanted to play soccer, as did the counsellors. P

Another factor is that the BCSA is not doing a very good job, because there is no evidence that enrollment is seriously down. They are not competiting intensely with other provinces to build the sport as they should. The HP league should be bolstered. Coaching too, and recruitment. We have always suffered from old boys mentality and parochial arrogance amongst soccer officials in BC. I would also say there is bias of the fellows pulling the strings, if not racism, towards certain demographics. 

Social class is as much a factor, as teens from higher income levels do not only not play sport as competitively, they also do not do things like look for part-time jobs involving harder physical labour. This is increasingly the case in Vancouver city, North Shore, and in wealthier neighbourhoods all over the Lower Mainland. This means that where clubs used to be they may not find players, so new clubs need to be created, and new facilities, in places where there is interest.

Then there is the Whitecaps. A team that does such a poor job promoting kids up from their youth ranks is not going to encourage a tendency where players can see a positive stream to professional play. This is the disgrace of Lenarduzzi: what he and his brothers were able to do, he actively denies to other Vancouverites. It is a fine case study of renouncing your roots and forgetting your past and the values that made you what you are. As he sits in his West Van home.

It also has to be said: we are currently in a situation with the Caps and two PDL clubs. The top is weak and the streams to rise to it are too.