Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

1 minute ago, davey_twelve said:

2v2 situation not out of the ordinary to have the fullback go with the wide player and the CB to take the inside channel.  

No, not in that particular situation.  He has to stay with the most dangerous threat because he is closest to him.  He has to close down the hottest threat of the cut in shot, and that didn't happen. 

He's looked alright for me.  Not always great but glimpses.  I have to say that almost every Canadian has exceeded my expectations for Toronto FC this season.  There is an extreme lack of professional games playing week in and week out and even two of the players with experience are coming from CPL.  Although both MacNaughton and Chung have shown some susceptibility to mistakes, both have still exceeded my expectations so far this season.  A good sign that with the right coaching and clubs, CPL players can adequately jump up a level to MLS.  Not sure that either are going to be long term starters for TFC once they bring in reinforcements in the summer, but both have shown that they can easily have their roles with TFC.

17 minutes ago, Corazon said:

A good sign that with the right coaching and clubs, CPL players can adequately jump up a level to MLS.  Not sure that either are going to be long term starters for TFC once they bring in reinforcements in the summer, but both have shown that they can easily have their roles with TFC.

Which is what we all want to see.  

Interesting in that, for the (relative) hype around the likes of Didic, Zator, and the CPL attacking fullback guys, it has been Waterman and these two who were signed.

^^^ Very interesting, and even more so when these guys all seem to slot right in a do well in the limited roles given to them.  Mcnaughton is playing while Mavinga sits..hahaha!!  Whats that about 500k in savings in wages for TFC (if mavinga was gone)??  Its also interesting the chorus of "well no CPL guy has made the jump to MLS" has gone silent.  In a few months the chorus of "well no CPL guy has broken into the CMNT team" will go silent too.  

There are still things left to be desired with Chung, but he is doing a pretty good job, as a youngster and for a budget price.  And we are still are a salary cap league, wouldnt surprise me if we see 4-5 more CPL guys find their way up to MLS next year...and prob not the ones we would expect.  

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I think he provided the assist on the winning goal as well.

He did, technically, but it was a very generous assist by the scorekeeper given how much work Pozuelo did to create that goal. 

That’s not taking away from Chung’s overall performance, though. He was in fine form over the 79 minutes he was on for.

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Not as high as some about his performance last night… needs to up his defensive game to play at this level - got burned on the goal and had many errant passes.  Encouraging that he is getting minutes and hopefully will continue to improve. 

I thought it was O’Neill who got burned on the goal with the ball played over his head, but in any case I agree that I am not as high in Chung’s performance in this game as some others. He seems to have good enough skill on the ball but occasionally seems tactically naive to me. I think that is something that can be overcome with more experience at a higher level of play and coaching. 

12 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Not as high as some about his performance last night… needs to up his defensive game to play at this level - got burned on the goal and had many errant passes.  Encouraging that he is getting minutes and hopefully will continue to improve. 

I also have questions about his overall defensive play.  He needs to show more than just looking flash in a slide tackle now and then.  But I thought his play on the ball was good last night.

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I also have questions about his overall defensive play.  He needs to show more than just looking flash in a slide tackle now and then.  But I thought his play on the ball was good last night.

I didn’t watch him very much at pacific but he seems very good on the ball, good in tight spaces and a decent short passer.  He can slide tackle as well. But seems to be able to get bullied off the ball pretty easily, doesn’t seem to beat players one on one for pace on the wing and not sure about his defensive positional awareness.  Also, being short in stature, he also can’t defend the far post very well on crosses. If you could combine him and Shaffelburg into one player, that would be awesome 

On 4/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, An Observer said:

I didn’t watch him very much at pacific but he seems very good on the ball, good in tight spaces and a decent short passer.  He can slide tackle as well. But seems to be able to get bullied off the ball pretty easily, doesn’t seem to beat players one on one for pace on the wing and not sure about his defensive positional awareness.  Also, being short in stature, he also can’t defend the far post very well on crosses. If you could combine him and Shaffelburg into one player, that would be awesome 

As someone who watched Chung regularly with Whitecaps youth teams, WFC2 and Pacific, this is a very accurate description...has the skill to play at the MLS level, but too many deficiencies hold him back. 

7 hours ago, masster said:

As someone who watched Chung regularly with Whitecaps youth teams, WFC2 and Pacific, this is a very accurate description...has the skill to play at the MLS level, but too many deficiencies hold him back. 

I agree for the most part. Physical and aerial battles definitely aren’t his strengths and I’ve been frustrated watching him before with how unwilling he seems to take a player on out wide. He prefers to cut inside even though he has a decently quick first few steps and cross. He doesn’t really have a spot in a 3 back system IMO which is why I’m a bit surprised with how he’s been used in some games this season. He’s very consistent game in game out though, particularly with the timing of his tackles 

• 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Whereas McNaughton has been able to get minutes and starts, Chung seems to have disappeared from scene as Bradley the Elder rides the Kosi Express all the time (btw, how did Thompson do yesterday?)

Thompson was again not great. It's mind boggling to me that Chung hasn't been given a chance given the Toronto matches I've seen. I'm fairly confident he would be a far more reliable option

At this point I'd be open to giving Chung another opportunity at RB but I also think JMR would be better than Kosi at this point.  They've been able to fix their LB situation with Criscito and to a degree Petrasso when needed.  The problem for me is that Chung, JMR, Shaffelburg & Kosi have all underwhelmed as outside backs.  Only one natural outside back of those 4 and it's Chung.

45 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The only thing I would say is that they did get a look at Chung.  He had 5 starts and they have chosen to stick with Thompson instead.   

2 starts at RB, and in one of them he was yanked at half in a 0-0 match that they went on to lose late. The other 3 starts were out of position (RM, LB, and CB)

• 7 months later...