Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

He was alright.  A little worried about his speed or lack of.  Hopefully he will be cover at the position.  Salcedo was giving it to him on a few occasions today.

It's quite deceptive. Every time you think he won't get there in time, he pulls off a perfectly timed sliding tackle to prove you wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Macksam said:

It's quite deceptive. Every time you think he won't get there in time, he pulls off a perfectly timed sliding tackle to prove you wrong. 

You are in line with my son.  He thought Chung was good. I am still sceptical that he can play at this level, while being bullish on McNaugton, who I think will play a role for us this year.

5 hours ago, Macksam said:

I watched him a lot with Pacific and he was one of the most consistently successful slide tacklers I’ve seen at any level. He always seems to get a foot to the ball. He was also the most consistent player we had over three seasons.

I’m hoping to catch a game or two of Toronto’s to see how him and Macnaughton do. I’m surprised people are concerned about Chung’s pace, and not his physicality or aerial ability. I’ve always thought he was fairly quick, if not flat out pacey

8 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

He was alright.  A little worried about his speed or lack of.  Hopefully he will be cover at the position.  Salcedo was giving it to him on a few occasions today.

Chung is fast, Saturday’s formation was 3-5-2, he was RWB as opposed to the standard RB in a 4-3-3. Today’s formation, its less on him to track back and catch the trailer, which leaves the right CB to take on the flank attacker. Re: ‘Salcedo was giving it to him…’ Again, this formation allows the Wing Backs (Luca and Kadin) to play a more attacking role leaving the three CBs with an important role as communicators, the 3 CBs quarterback the back and mid lines. If they don’t bark out commands, they will get caught tracking the wrong attacker. If Salcedo was ‘giving it to him’ today, you’d see Salcedo going over to him more in between play to give him directions, which was not the case.

12 hours ago, Cross&Header said:

Re: ‘Salcedo was giving it to him…’  If Salcedo was ‘giving it to him’ today, you’d see Salcedo going over to him more in between play to give him directions, which was not the case.

Salcedo was definitely giving it to him yesterday at times. Especially in the first 10 minutes. There was a 2 minute span in the first 10 minutes where Salcedo was ripping into him for not overlapping on a play - straight yelling at him and throwing his hands down in anger. I was watching it. To Chung's credit, he learned for that and created several chances from overlapping runs after that.

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

Salcedo was definitely giving it to him yesterday at times. Especially in the first 10 minutes. There was a 2 minute span in the first 10 minutes where Salcedo was ripping into him for not overlapping on a play - straight yelling at him and throwing his hands down in anger. I was watching it. To Chung's credit, he learned for that and created several chances from overlapping runs after that.

With Pacific he always preferred to come inside and combine with his forwards rather than overlap. He’s quite good at it, but he needed to hit the byline more often. I don’t know why he’s so resistant 

4 hours ago, rydermike said:

Looks like the tough love worked out well. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I’m curious if the Philippines tries hard to recruit him. Same with Michael Baldisimo and Aidan Daniels. If I was the Philippines I would hahaha. 

Except for Baldi as I think he has a little bit of time on his side. If I were them I would have my agent reach out to federation. Add Metcalfe to that list too.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Except for Baldi as I think he has a little bit of time on his side. If I were them I would have my agent reach out to federation. Add Metcalfe to that list too.

They're all Filippinos?  Baldi, Metcalfe, Daniels and Chung?  I hadn't realized that.  What are the odds?  Pretty cool, not really a soccer nation, has that in common with Canada.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

They're all Filippinos?  Baldi, Metcalfe, Daniels and Chung?  I hadn't realized that.  What are the odds?  Pretty cool, not really a soccer nation, has that in common with Canada.

One we’re Canada. Secondly it’s soccer not hockey. So it’s not that surprising to me. I agree with your last point, we probably got the most guys from different countries who are professional dual nationals. (England might up there)

Shaan Hundal, and Shamit Shome could play for India and Bangladesh (I think I’m missing someone too)

Look at the U20 team, there’s Greece, Guyana, Portugal, Brazil, Iran, Germany, USA, Italy, Jamaica, Morroco, Haiti, New Zealand, England, Ghana, France, Eritrea….what a melting pot.

Its time we use it to our advantage. 

Edited by Shway
Thanks @Corazon for the correction.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

One we’re Canada. Secondly it’s soccer not hockey. So it’s not that surprising to me. I agree with your last point, we probably got the most guys from different countries who are professional dual nationals. (England might up there)

Shaan Hundal, and Shamit Shome could play for India (I think I’m missing someone too)

Look at the U20 team, there’s Greece, Guyana, Portugal, Brazil, Iran, Germany, USA, Italy, Jamaica, Morroco, Haiti, New Zealand, England, Ghana, France, Eritrea….what a melting pot.

Its time we use it to our advantage. 

I think Shome's parents are actually from Bangladesh.  Hundal is Indian though.

The best part of this country and this program is our international diversity!

On 4/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, SpecialK said:

I’m curious if the Philippines tries hard to recruit him. Same with Michael Baldisimo and Aidan Daniels. If I was the Philippines I would hahaha. 

He's in MLS now so his chances of playing in next year's Gold Cup with us is pretty good. 

10 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I love this kid, the way he plays, so composed...yeah, he'll be in the CMNT for Gold Cup 2023, he doesn't need to consider any ancestral country.

I know he just tripped and fell on his ass a few moments ago but my original sentiment still applies. 

I have to think he’s holds out longer for us.

17 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I have to think he’s holds out longer for us.

Well, that's what future Gold Cups should be for us. Like the USA, we should use the tournament to bring in up and comers going forward. 

Edited by Macksam

I'm not sold on him.  The same kinds of defensive issues I saw with him at PFC were in evidence yesterday against Meram.  He allowed him way too much space to cut in and hit that menacing bender (which is that guy's meat and drink) and then he was oblivious to his late run into the six yard box but was let off the hook by Meram's early season candidate for miss of the year.

On the plus side, he has a good recovery burst of pace and a good engine to get up the pitch and contribute offensively.  

I am curious to see how his season develops.

23 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm not sold on him.  The same kinds of defensive issues I saw with him at PFC were in evidence yesterday against Meram.  He allowed him way too much space to cut in and hit that menacing bender (which is that guy's meat and drink) and then he was oblivious to his late run into the six yard box but was let off the hook by Meram's early season candidate for miss of the year.

On the plus side, he has a good recovery burst of pace and a good engine to get up the pitch and contribute offensively.  

I am curious to see how his season develops.

I only saw the first half and the highlights for the second half are somewhat scant, is the first play you are referring to the Meram 1st half goal or was there another Meram menacing bender he had in the 2nd half that the highlights didn’t bother to show? 

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I only saw the first half and the highlights for the second half are somewhat scant, is the first play you are referring to the Meram 1st half goal or was there another Meram menacing bender he had in the 2nd half that the highlights didn’t bother to show? 

Second half.  One v one, cut inside, missed the corner but close enough to have Bono scrambling uncomfortably.

In Chung's defence he was going with the overlapping run from the second RSL player. Salcedo was covering Chung and also went with the overlap which didn't look good. 

Chung does need to work on his marking but I think he's done a good job so far this year defending against better players 1v1. He also continues to be really good in possession which was crucial to Pacific's possession dominance last year. He's not a flashy dribbler like Laryea but he makes good decisions when pressed.

3 minutes ago, davey_twelve said:

In Chung's defence he was going with the overlapping run from the second RSL player. Salcedo was covering Chung and also went with the overlap which didn't look good. 

What is there to defend? There was no reason at all to go with the overlapping run when the guy he is marking has the ball.  Poor defending, plain and simple.