Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

why is the 2nd team being dissolved?

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Probably money. 

Reallocation of resources. The USL team was costing seven figures a year and wasn't providing the expected results. The new plan going forward is to basically split the players that would be starting on the USL team between the senior roster and external development (NCAA/USports/loans). That gives the top prospects a more direct route to first team minutes and the lesser prospects an education/chance to prove themselves elsewhere.

The money is going into expanding the youth teams, notably the u15 and u16 pools. The Caps are planning on growing their roster sizes at the u12-u16 age groups, giving them more talent to choose from at the u17 and u18 ages. This is all being done to emulate the model that FC Dallas has built.

Also, the Caps are in the early stages of a new project that's requiring some cash. You'll likely get that announcement in the next year.

Edited by harrycoyster

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Probably money. 

I think the USL being "D2" status might also have been an issue as well, because the league currently was being granted on a waver on things like the stadium size requirements for the MLS "farm" teams, which was unlikely to continue indefinitely. Sooner or later they would have either had to re-brand/locate the team (in an effort to make it a viable stand alone business/comply with the full D2 standards), or fold the team, and it appears they decided to pull the plug sooner rather than later.

And Davies came there from Edmonton as a super prospect.  Sad to say but I guess its more cost effective for them to snatch US college players and guys from New Zealand.  Closer to being ready for the MLS squad.  The news lately is making me depressed.  Hopefully WC2 doesnt follow the path that FC Montreal took.  1-2 guys stick with the big club, a handful get almost no minutes with an affiliate and most are cut loose into the wilderness with a few surprises finding spots elsewhere.  Chung, Melvin appear to be the lucky ones staying with the big club.  Heres hoping that the Baldisimo brothers, Norman, Campbell et al find somewhere to play as it looks like the CPL is another year away at a minimum. 

Is there much chance that Chung can catch on as a back up to nerwinski next season?  A cheap homegrown player should be able to get a roster spot in a salary cap league. He did show skill going forward with some nice crosses.  

5 minutes ago, saladroit said:

From a recent piece by AFTN.ca:

Our understanding is that Chung has been offered a USL deal to go to Fresno, but we’ve been told he’s asked for his release and is keen to explore options in Germany. For now, we’re putting him on the bubble, but can certainly see him leaving.

I'd rather have him in in Germany as long as he is the forth tier and nothing lower. 

Sounds like we have yet another promising Whitecaps academy prospect asking for his release to find a better opportunity elsewhere. The list is growing quickly, isn't it? Given many on here's concerns of the Whitecaps ability to develop academy players, this may not be a bad thing.

Am I remembering correctly that during 2016 preseason, Robinson mentioned Chung (along with Davies) was likely to sign an MLS deal during 2016? Thought he would have been a slam dunk for an MLS contract this offseason in the backup RB role. I thought Chung looked damn good at RB in 2016 (arguably the best natural RB in the Canadian pool, not that it's a high bar to set), and that he was solid offensively although maybe regressed a bit defensively this year in a RB / RW role.

35 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Wow I dislike Vancouver more and more.

Why? He would be third fighting for 2cd in the MLS or fighting for the second / first on Fresno. Release and see if he can get some Euro experience and they still have his MLS rights.

Would you suggest the Caps not release him?

59 minutes ago, TRM said:

Why? He would be third fighting for 2cd in the MLS or fighting for the second / first on Fresno. Release and see if he can get some Euro experience and they still have his MLS rights.

Would you suggest the Caps not release him?

I would suggest the caps sign and play some of their Canadian prospects.

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I would suggest the caps sign and play some of their Canadian prospects.

Same height (5'9") but 25 pounds lighter than Marcel deJong. At 19 I was hoping he would fill out and move up to the 19-28 spots. I guess they wanted him in Fresno but if the player has different plans then let them pursue them. 

Signing them isn't the problem. It's breaking through to the starting 11 that has proven the hardest part and that part is up to the player. Out of 34 players (including injured, loaned out, etc)  8 are Canadians (9 if you count Richey) and only Edgar & deJong are not from the Caps academy. Add in the handful that have chosen to try their hand in lower tier Europe and it is a good number. 

Now cracking that starting 11 ....  

2 hours ago, TRM said:

Same height (5'9") but 25 pounds lighter than Marcel deJong. At 19 I was hoping he would fill out and move up to the 19-28 spots. I guess they wanted him in Fresno but if the player has different plans then let them pursue them. 

Signing them isn't the problem. It's breaking through to the starting 11 that has proven the hardest part and that part is up to the player. Out of 34 players (including injured, loaned out, etc)  8 are Canadians (9 if you count Richey) and only Edgar & deJong are not from the Caps academy. Add in the handful that have chosen to try their hand in lower tier Europe and it is a good number. 

Now cracking that starting 11 ....  

At the risk of going back into an endless argument on this board, at some point when no academy kids (barring a wonderkid who was mostly developed in edmonton) are able to break into the starting 11 you start thinking this isn't the player's problem but could be a club-wide problem.

50-50 or 70-30 or 90-10 who knows. In some areas it does fall on the clubs but I would say mostly it is on the player IMHO. I am in the 90-10 camp. When given a chance you have to kill it and keep killing it every chance you are given. 

The young Caps2 players who were in USL3 for 2 years did good and then great but when moved up to USL2 this year are just over their heads. So it seems we need to find a D3 level competition for them and hopefully before March 2018. I would hate for a whole year to go by with only an affiliation providing minutes. That has not worked out for Montreal and I would hate to see it repeated for the other 2 teams. 

7 hours ago, saladroit said:

From a recent piece by AFTN.ca:

Our understanding is that Chung has been offered a USL deal to go to Fresno, but we’ve been told he’s asked for his release and is keen to explore options in Germany. For now, we’re putting him on the bubble, but can certainly see him leaving.

I would hope that it's as a loan or that they retain some of his rights. There's been too much investment in these kids to have them leave for free, just as they get close to repaying the club.

10 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I would hope that it's as a loan or that they retain some of his rights. There's been too much investment in these kids to have them leave for free, just as they get close to repaying the club.

Unfortunate for the club but good for the player is that they have options. It would be foolish of a club to stand in their way or demand they commit without a contract like TFC tried with Winter a few years back. The only ones you keep in that situation are those with no other options and the best leave.