Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

47 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

MLS teams can buy out one guaranteed contract per off season. Suspect he still got most of his money. Thought it would be Luke Singh that would go that way but no huge surprise on Kadin Chung. Looked out of his depth at MLS level.

What was he on? $70k? I doubt they'd use the one buy out per year on a small contract like that right at the beginning of the year.

Why didn't a loan happen here, I wonder? MTL has done a solid job loaning players to CPL. Toronto hasn't really. I get that Chung is more finished product than prospect at 24 years of age, but TFC could have potentially made money from him if he did well in the CPL. Now they get nothing. Seems like they just couldn't be bothered for the sake of maybe flipping him for a low 6-figure transfer fee down the road. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

MLS teams can buy out one guaranteed contract per off season. Suspect he still got most of his money. Thought it would be Luke Singh that would go that way but no huge surprise on Kadin Chung. Looked out of his depth at MLS level.

The wording of the release doesn't make it seem like it was a buy out, though.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why didn't a loan happen here, I wonder? MTL has done a solid job loaning players to CPL. Toronto hasn't really. I get that Chung is more finished product than prospect at 24 years of age, but TFC could have potentially made money from him if he did well in the CPL. Now they get nothing. Seems like they just couldn't be bothered for the sake of maybe flipping him for a low 6-figure transfer fee down the road. 

Didn't Pacific waive his option year so that Toronto could sign him for free? Maybe Toronto are providing a similar kickback so Friend can sign him in Vancouver

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would think keeping him just to loan him out with no real future intention of playing him would be a pretty crappy move. Being free from contract may allow him to secure a multi year contract somewhere else making sure he has career security.