Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Surprised Vancouver hasn't signed anyone from CPL yet. For a team that wants to Canadian centric they might take Torontos title as least Cancon.

Yep.  So far I'm pretty disappointed with the way their roster is shaping up from a Canadian content perspective.  If they don't get results, there might be a few pitchforks that come out around here.  Would prefer that 2022 VWFC does not replicate 2021 TFC.

20 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Surprised Vancouver hasn't signed anyone from CPL yet. For a team that wants to Canadian centric they might take Torontos title as least Cancon.

Schuster and the front office at VWFC seem to be very meticulous and thorough when it comes to new signings. They aren’t just going to pull the trigger for the sake of pulling the trigger. I think we do more Canadians added down the road, only head scratcher for me so far is Blackmon over Johnston (not that there was any rumour that Alistair was even coming here, they’re just similar players) 

happy for Kadin and the CPL Though, time to make some waves!!

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

They'll be regularly playing Hasal, Gutierrez, Teibert (much to everyone's chagrin), and Cavallini, while still giving opportunities to Baldisimo, Godinho, and Raposo and having just transferred Bair to the Scottish Premier League. If that's the "least Cancon" I don't think we can complain.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Almost feels like they are stubborn as they look silly re-signing players they released. Absolutely should have sent Raposo to Pacific and signed Bustos last year. 

Congrats to Kadin. Big jump up. Hope he gets some minutes and kills it.

CPL is prospering, no doubt about it.

36 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Almost feels like they are stubborn as they look silly re-signing players they released. Absolutely should have sent Raposo to Pacific and signed Bustos last year. 

No, I don't think it's that. After all, it takes both parties to agree and I'm not sure a few of them had any interest in returning to the organization, even if previous management has moved on.

Edited by Watchmen

56 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They'll be regularly playing Hasal, Gutierrez, Teibert (much to everyone's chagrin), and Cavallini, while still giving opportunities to Baldisimo, Godinho, and Raposo and having just transferred Bair to the Scottish Premier League. If that's the "least Cancon" I don't think we can complain.

So far its not looking great.  Considering we're 10 days out from the start of the season and this is the last preseason game, I've got to think that this is close to their ideal starting 11.

Of the four Canadians that you said would get regular reps, I think we may only see Hasal regularly.  Gutierrez I think is the next most likely to get minutes, but he's still in tough competition.  Teibert may be on the outside looking in with that packed midfield and Cavallini isn't guaranteed anything.

I would be surprised if Baldisimo gets more than 15 appearances this year and I expect much less for Godinho and Raposo.

All the stick that TFC got last year may be coming VWFC's way if they don't get the results.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

No, I don't think it's that. After all, it takes both parties to agree and I'm not sure a few of them had any interest in returning to the organization, even if previous management has moved on.

Thats true. Although I though Bustos was an absolute no brainer. Could be for the above it never happened. Lots of rebuilding of bridges needed at different levels at VWC. 

Bit off with the numbers likely but think in the first team:

• TFC has 15 first team Canadians on their books
  • CF Montreal has 17
  • Whitecaps has 11

Not sure how many more are in teams in the states but every year that number is growing. It is glorious. 

43 minutes ago, El Hombre said:
Of the four Canadians that you said would get regular reps, I think we may only see Hasal regularly.  Gutierrez I think is the next most likely to get minutes, but he's still in tough competition.  Teibert may be on the outside looking in with that packed midfield and Cavallini isn't guaranteed anything.

I would be surprised if Baldisimo gets more than 15 appearances this year and I expect much less for Godinho and Raposo.

I don't disagree with any of this but:

1) Hasal is going to be the starter until he proves otherwise. 

2) Gutierrez will get plenty of opportunities. Bigger concern is him staying healthy. 

3) Teibert will get time, though from a CMNT perspective I don’t know if it matters - his time and era are over. 

4) If Cavallini isn't getting playing time, at this point that is on him and not the Whitecaps.

5) Baldisimo, Godinho, and Raposo will be given opportunities, and likely with good teammates. It's going to be up to them to take seize those opportunities. A phrase I hated from Robinson, mostly because he put young Canadian players in a terrible position to succeed and then blamed them. I don't see that happening this time.

42 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Thats true. Although I though Bustos was an absolute no brainer. Could be for the above it never happened. Lots of rebuilding of bridges needed at different levels at VWC. 

• CF Montreal has 17
  • Whitecaps has 11

Not sure how many more are in teams in the states but every year that number is growing. It is glorious. 

I don’t think we would’ve kept Bustos if he hadn’t been injured for the last half of the season. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

• CF Montreal has 17
  • Whitecaps has 11

Right now on their respective sites TFC is showing 10 Canucks and VWFC 15.

40 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't disagree with any of this but:

1) Hasal is going to be the starter until he proves otherwise. 

2) Gutierrez will get plenty of opportunities. Bigger concern is him staying healthy. 

3) Teibert will get time, though from a CMNT perspective I don’t know if it matters - his time and era are over. 

4) If Cavallini isn't getting playing time, at this point that is on him and not the Whitecaps.

5) Baldisimo, Godinho, and Raposo will be given opportunities, and likely with good teammates. It's going to be up to them to take seize those opportunities. A phrase I hated from Robinson, mostly because he put young Canadian players in a terrible position to succeed and then blamed them. I don't see that happening this time.

Just as an aside (a long aside as it turns out), are there any updates on his NT status? I recall he was called up to Philippines but withdrew himself for reasons unknown. Has he filed a one-time switch?

I know people voiced a collective "meh" on losing him, but I remain convinced that we shouldn't shrug our shoulders at his lost. I still believe in his potential.

Furthermore, I am somewhat worried about our midfield depth moving forward. Eustaquio should anchor the midfield until the 2026 cycle at minimum, but the cupboard looks bare after that, or at least uncertain at best:

• Hutchinson retires after the 2022 cycle
  • Osorio will be an wily, 34 yr old vet come 2026
  • Kaye will be 32, but I am concerned about his durability and usefulness as 2026 approaches
  • Fraser's development path is not easily predictable. Question mark. 
  • Piette will likely be around, but used sparingly as he ages out.
  • Teibert won't likely elevate his game any further and he's already on the outside. He's done.
  • Okello hasn't convinced me of his national team or club future.
  • Priso has fantastic potential but we need to see how he rebounds from a significant injury.
  • Paton is interesting but needs to prove it at a bigger club, if not a better league.

None of this is to say I am convinced Baldisimo reaches his potential and becomes a CMNT mainstay, but he is another option who may pan out, or not. We need as many of those as possible. 

If he's not good enough so be it, but I hope he hasn't taken himself out of the equation prematurely. There's a clear path to our national team midfield for whoever is able to step up and grab it.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just as an aside (a long aside as it turns out), are there any updates on his NT status? I recall he was called up to Philippines but withdrew himself for reasons unknown. Has he filed a one-time switch?

I know people voiced a collective "meh" on losing him, but I remain convinced that we shouldn't shrug our shoulders at his lost. I still believe in his potential.

Furthermore, I am somewhat worried about our midfield depth moving forward. Eustaquio should anchor the midfield until the 2026 cycle at minimum, but the cupboard looks bare after that, or at least uncertain at best:

• Hutchinson retires after the 2022 cycle
  • Osorio will be an wily, 34 yr old vet come 2026
  • Kaye will be 32, but I am concerned about his durability and usefulness as 2026 approaches
  • Fraser's development path is not easily predictable. Question mark. 
  • Piette will likely be around, but used sparingly as he ages out.
  • Teibert won't likely elevate his game any further and he's already on the outside. He's done.
  • Okello hasn't convinced me of his national team or club future.
  • Priso has fantastic potential but we need to see how he rebounds from a significant injury.
  • Paton is interesting but needs to prove it at a bigger club, if not a better league.

None of this is to say I am convinced Baldisimo reaches his potential and becomes a CMNT mainstay, but he is another option who may pan out, or not. We need as many of those as possible. 

If he's not good enough so be it, but I hope he hasn't taken himself out of the equation prematurely. There's a clear path to our national team midfield for whoever is able to step up and grab it.

You forgot some names.

1) We're bound to get at least one of Mitrovic, Dias or Flores. If not two.

2) And just with CF MLT we have Choiniere and Zouhir that will be studs. Also, Mtl has 5 other up and coming young midfielders (Kone, Assi, Giraldo, Rea, Saliba)

3) That's five (Eustaquio, Mitrovic, Choiniere, Zouhir, Kaye) and I haven't mentioned midfielders from other MLS teams or overseas or players that are 20, 21 right now and will develop in the next 3-4 years.

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You forgot some names.

1) We're bound to get at least one of Mitrovic, Dias or Flores. If not two.

2) And just with CF MLT we have Choiniere and Zouhir that will be studs. Also, Mtl has 5 other up and coming young midfielders (Kone, Assi, Giraldo, Rea, Saliba)

3) That's five (Eustaquio, Mitrovic, Choiniere, Zouhir, Kaye) and I haven't mentioned midfielders from other MLS teams or overseas or players that are 20, 21 right now and will develop in the next 3-4 years.

I purposely left Mitrovic, Dias and Flores off that list because they are all attacking midfielders. Moreover, none of them are committed to the Canadian program as of today. Flores actually has a Mexican senior cap, so it's too presumptive to include him. 

Choiniere is a natural center midfielder, but he's playing wingback and has done so for quite some time. I am hesitant to consider him a CM for Canada.

I debated digging into the rest of those MLT youngsters, but at the end of the day they still too green IMO. Look at where Tabla is right now for instance. I hope every one of them pan out and develop, don't get me wrong. I just think it's too early.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I purposely left Mitrovic, Dias and Flores off that list because they are all attacking midfielders. Moreover, none of them are committed to the Canadian program as of today. Flores actually has a Mexican senior cap, so it's too presumptive to include him. 

Choiniere is a natural center midfielder, but he's playing wingback and has done so for quite some time. I am hesitant to consider him a CM for Canada.

I debated digging into the rest of those MLT youngsters, but at the end of the day they still too green IMO. Look at where Tabla is right now for instance. I hope every one of them pan out and develop, don't get me wrong. I just think it's too early.

The 2026 WC is four years away. You should look to Buchanan, Johnston, Kennedy, Miller and Millar. They all came out of nowhere within the last year. I'm sure when 2026 rolls around we'll be cursing FIFA because they will only allow roster sizes of 23 men and we have 8-10 midfielders (not counting attacking midfielders) worthy of playing in the WC.

Edited by Sal333