Kadin Chung

Dub Narcotic

On 11/14/2017 at 11:54 PM, TRM said:

50-50 or 70-30 or 90-10 who knows. In some areas it does fall on the clubs but I would say mostly it is on the player IMHO. I am in the 90-10 camp. When given a chance you have to kill it and keep killing it every chance you are given. 

The young Caps2 players who were in USL3 for 2 years did good and then great but when moved up to USL2 this year are just over their heads. So it seems we need to find a D3 level competition for them and hopefully before March 2018. I would hate for a whole year to go by with only an affiliation providing minutes. That has not worked out for Montreal and I would hate to see it repeated for the other 2 teams. 

I do not believe for one second that calling it a D2 league made the USL's level of play any better.

12 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

I do not believe for one second that calling it a D2 league made the USL's level of play any better.

From the games I watched the level was a bit better than the first 2 years. Not all the teams but the top 8 were clearly better than I'd seen before. With TFC2 and Impact2 it was hard to tell as they had poor previous seasons but we did okay. This year we were also near or at the bottom. Other MLS2 teams like Portland, Seattle & LA also struggled. 

Northern Starting XI's ELO rankings have FC Edmonton below all of the USL teams in Canada:

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/2014-elo-rankings-recalculated-top-soccer-clubs-in-canada/

And, of course, in the first V. Cup meeting between FC Ed. and a USL team this year (Ottawa), Ottawa won, despite being one of the worst teams in USL. It's been pretty clear for a while that USL has surpassed the NASL both on-field and off.

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Northern Starting XI's ELO rankings have FC Edmonton below all of the USL teams in Canada:

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/2014-elo-rankings-recalculated-top-soccer-clubs-in-canada/

And, of course, in the first V. Cup meeting between FC Ed. and a USL team this year (Ottawa), Ottawa won, despite being one of the worst teams in USL. It's been pretty clear for a while that USL has surpassed the NASL both on-field and off.

I'm wondering where the others NASL/USL teams in Elo compare against each other. I mean yes Edmonton lost to Ottawa, but it's hard to compare Edmonton and WC2 and TFCII because they haven'T played each other so the only point of comparaison is that they played a team twice during that year. If they played common teams more often, I do think Elo would hold more ground, but it doesn't in this case. 

To add to Blackdude's point, in the 2017 US Open Cup NASL teams were 3 and 2 against USL teams. So is that really clear dominance from the USL? The sample space is small so there are big error bars on anything that tries to compare the on-field quality of the teams. I'd say very roughly that they are similar, based on results but I shamefully admit I watch approximately 0 of both leagues aside from some highlights.

21 hours ago, Kent said:

To add to Blackdude's point, in the 2017 US Open Cup NASL teams were 3 and 2 against USL teams. So is that really clear dominance from the USL? The sample space is small so there are big error bars on anything that tries to compare the on-field quality of the teams. I'd say very roughly that they are similar, based on results but I shamefully admit I watch approximately 0 of both leagues aside from some highlights.

From what I've watched top-mid tier USL is comparable to NASL while lower tier USL is worse than NASL level(remember a lot of shit USL teams are MLS 2 teams and can't play in cups). Your average opponent in NASL will be better but often you'll face really(north american wise) talented young players in USL.  

3 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

From what I've watched top-mid tier USL is comparable to NASL while lower tier USL is worse than NASL level(remember a lot of shit USL teams are MLS 2 teams and can't play in cups). Your average opponent in NASL will be better but often you'll face really(north american wise) talented young players in USL.  

I agree. The leagues are at a comparable level. There is more skill and talent in the USL, but the NASL has more seasoned veterans. The NASL is a tough more physical league, with generally less skill. Whereas the USL has a lot of talent, but also a lot more mistakes. There were 2.74 goals per game in the USL and 2.64 goals per game in the NASL. Keep in mind that Miami was a dominant force in the NASL and scored nearly 2 goals a game so that raises the NASL’s numbers by a lot. 

On 2017-11-17 at 10:15 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

I understand that Ottawa beat Edmonton. But Edmonton scored a grand total of 11 goals in 16 games in the NASL spring season. 4 of those 11 goals came in one game where the cosmos had 2 red cards. Edmonton was -10 in goal differential in the spring season. Even though they were second last in the standings they were the worst team in the NASL in the spring season. Edmonton had scored only 3 goals in 5 games before the first Ottawa game, and only 3 in 7 games until the second game. The beginning of the season was absolutely terrible for Edmonton. They were terrible. Obviously this series does not indicate that the USL is better than the NASL

Ottawa lost 10 games all year and Edmonton lost 19 in the same number of league games. I think the two leagues are definitely even. With the Ottawa beating Edmonton and doing much better than them in the league. 

46 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I agree. The leagues are at a comparable level. There is more skill and talent in the USL, but the NASL has more seasoned veterans. The NASL is a tough more physical league, with generally less skill. Whereas the USL has a lot of talent, but also a lot more mistakes. There were 2.74 goals per game in the USL and 2.64 goals per game in the NASL. Keep in mind that Miami was a dominant force in the NASL and scored nearly 2 goals a game so that raises the NASL’s numbers by a lot. 

I understand that Ottawa beat Edmonton. But Edmonton scored a grand total of 11 goals in 16 games in the NASL spring season. 4 of those 11 goals came in one game where the cosmos had 2 red cards. Edmonton was -10 in goal differential in the spring season. Even though they were second last in the standings they were the worst team in the NASL in the spring season. Edmonton had scored only 3 goals in 5 games before the first Ottawa game, and only 3 in 7 games until the second game. The beginning of the season was absolutely terrible for Edmonton. They were terrible. Obviously this series does not indicate that the USL is better than the NASL

Ottawa lost 10 games all year and Edmonton lost 19 in the same number of league games. I think the two leagues are definitely even. With the Ottawa beating Edmonton and doing much better than them in the league. 

Ya also calling Ottawa one of the worst teams in USL would be pretty incorrect, 20th/30 isn't good but it's also not one of the worst. The East is also more competitive in USL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is Chung still tied to the Caps and found this

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

vancouver really don't like to use the guys the developed?

Is this move essentially a loan or is Chung free to move?

Yeah, it is becoming a recurring theme that there is no path to the first team for Canadian youth with the Whitecaps (maybe TFC, too).  Will Canadian youth players shy away from those clubs, preferring to go the CPL route and with the Impact (if their willingness to try Canadians continues)?

1 minute ago, ray said:

Is Chung still tied to the Caps and found this

Is this move essentially a loan or is Chung free to move?

Yeah, it is becoming a recurring theme that there is no path to the first team for Canadian youth with the Whitecaps (maybe TFC, too).  Will Canadian youth players shy away from those clubs, preferring to go the CPL route and with the Impact (if their willingness to try Canadians continues)?

Free

22 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Oberliga, 5th level is a bit underwhelming to be honest. They are competing for promotion but even Caleb Clarke played Regionalliga for a couple of seasons. 

Given his age and experience (or lack there of) its not that surprising. He probably isn't quite ready and they will want to take a further look at him while he aclimatises. He has a pathway through the club if he plays well, works hard and develops. Not the club they once were but will be a decent shop window for bigger clubs.  

I'd agree though, a little disappointing given his hyped potential but not the worst landing spot. 

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I'd agree though, a little disappointing given his hyped potential but not the worst landing spot. 

Chung was a casualty of how terrible VWC2 was last season. An attacking fullback, he wasn't able to join the attack often as the team was usually pinned back. By midseason, he was being played in more advanced roles to take advantage of his attacking ability since he wasn't seeing much of the ball at outside back. He's been a fullback since he joined the academy at age 14 though, and never looked a natural attacking player. So he spent last season with VWC2 flip-flopping between two positions (pinned RB and counterattacking RW) he really doesn't thrive in, and regressed as a result.

It's still just crazy to me that Norman Jr. is on the Caps and Chung isn't. Chung was a machine at the u17 level and Norman never looked an NCAA calibre player. They've gone in two very different directions the last two years.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Oberliga, 5th level is a bit underwhelming to be honest. They are competing for promotion but even Caleb Clarke played Regionalliga for a couple of seasons. 

I wouldn't worry about that too much. He'll play the second half of this season with the second team and if he does well will either go on loan or join the first team next season. FCK are currently dead last in B2 so a good chance they'll be in 3. Liga next year.

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Chung was a casualty of how terrible VWC2 was last season. An attacking fullback, he wasn't able to join the attack often as the team was usually pinned back. By midseason, he was being played in more advanced roles to take advantage of his attacking ability since he wasn't seeing much of the ball at outside back. He's been a fullback since he joined the academy at age 14 though, and never looked a natural attacking player. So he spent last season with VWC2 flip-flopping between two positions (pinned RB and counterattacking RW) he really doesn't thrive in, and regressed as a result.

It's still just crazy to me that Norman Jr. is on the Caps and Chung isn't. Chung was a machine at the u17 level and Norman never looked an NCAA calibre player. They've gone in two very different directions the last two years.

As I understand it, Chung decided he didn't want to be on the Caps, not the other way around. I am sure that next year around this time, we will be reading about Norman opting to go to Europe to get playing time instead of re-signing with the Caps. Disappointingly, the pattern is now well-established.