Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

On 8/28/2017 at 3:13 PM, SpecialK said:

I'm sure people have seen this, but this just makes me sad and pissed. Hutch's sister is right ! That stadium should be packed! HUTCH is back ! Let's give him so much support that he's forced him to stay.

its so sad that a Players sister has to go on twitter to get people to come and see Canada's Sr. National team! 

Hey TO soccer fans. Montreal embarrassed the country with their attendance against  Curaçao, it's time to step up, don't let the country down.

IMG_0068.PNG

I don't think the issue is that Montrealers don't support Canadian soccer. Packed the Big-O for the CWNT vs Netherlands WC game in 2015. Problem is, it's very much a "big event" city. People tend to make plans late and will come out if there's a buzz around the game. So I think it's partly on the CSA for not working harder to create one. That being said, it definitely was a pretty shameful attendance, and I don't think Montrealers (myself included) can bitch if it's a while before we see another CMNT game.

3 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

"Hutchinson, 34, is one of Canada’s most skilled attacking midfielders..."

???

... anyways, I'm just glad Hutch is still in the fold.

Didn't you know he is one of the best trequartistas Canada has ever had

Great feature on Atiba.

So funny to think now that when he debuted for Canada in 2003 JDG was a player he looked up to, when we've thought of them as players of the same generation for so long now. Back then, Atiba was a talented 19 year old kid who had just signed his first pro contract with a tiny club in the Swedish top flight while Julian was a 21 year old phenom playing in the Bundesliga.

i was at the game Saturday and re-watching the game on TSN this morning 

Hutch was awesome live and also on rewind

Suggestion once his career ends and to pay homage to his career- no one should ever be allowed to wear #13 again when representing Canada

Same suggestion too when Sinclair ends her career as well 

5 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

Suggestion once his career ends and to pay homage to his career- no one should ever be allowed to wear #13 again when representing Canada

Same suggestion too when Sinclair ends her career as well 

No. Numbers don't get retired in international football. Marc Vivien Foe died on the pitch for Cameroon wearing #17 and they still have to issue  the number if they name a squad for official matches (WCQ, AFCON, etc.) We can't really retire the number, because that number would need to be used at the Gold Cup. And Sinclair might be the only player where they wouldn't issue her number for future firendlies after her retirement, but it would need to be reiussed one day anyways. 

3 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

No. Numbers don't get retired in international football. Marc Vivien Foe died on the pitch for Cameroon wearing #17 and they still have to issue  the number if they name a squad for official matches (WCQ, AFCON, etc.) We can't really retire the number, because that number would need to be used at the Gold Cup. And Sinclair might be the only player where they wouldn't issue her number for future firendlies after her retirement, but it would need to be reiussed one day anyways. 

don't forget we would need to issue the #13 at the  next World Cup we play in ;)

7 hours ago, dsqpr said:

For the position and the way Atiba plays I definitely think he has another WCQ campaign in him.

Hell, as far as we are concerned he is good enough to even play the one after! Anybody remember Roger Miller? ;)

Atiba will be 39 in 2022. I have no problem with him not really being a big part of qualifiers if it meant he keeps going until then and perhaps if we qualify for the WC he can play there. He deserves that.

• 3 weeks later...