Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Considering Dax McCarty, Christian Roldan, Benny Feilhaber and Danny Williams can't get on the field for the US first team, I doubt Johnson would have a chance. I think he'd be capped, but wouldn't be close to seeing minutes.

Hutch and Larin would be in the US pool. Don't think Arfeild or Hoilett would be near their 18 right now to be honest. Arfeild might have had an outside chance before Acosta's recent rise. Edgar would never have been a blimp on the US radar, the US has only recently just started calling Tim Ream back into camps and he was named Fulham's player of the season last year. Danny Williams, Eric Lichaj, Gboly Ariyibi and Jon Spector are all Championship regulars and have a combined 0 caps in the last year. The US doesn't rate Championship players outside of Yedlin, who was the starting RB on the best team in the Championship last season.

Well the fact that Spector has won 30 odd caps in his career makes me believe Edgar may have earned at least 1. Edgar was more of a bench player when they were teammates at Birmingham, but David was very much a regular for much of his Burnley career. He might have had a look in that time, no?

I think it could of gone either way for Edgar honestly, but I think we'd both agree that best case scenario you'd be able to count them on one hand.

Remember by the way that Edgar did get a few games for Newcastle in the EPL as a very young player and even scored against Man U. That is worth at least 1 cap as an American. Look at Lyndon Gooch, he was capped by the US after playing only 5 EPL games or so with Sunderland. Never even scored a single goal (and he's a midfielder).

As for Arfield, I think he would definitely be near their 18, if not firmly in it.

I don't think Acosta's rise would shut the door on Arfield. Why would it? They are not in competition with one another. Arfield would be in competition with Bedoya. He is a midfielder who can play wide on either side or central. Acosta is a central mid who has also played wing back. Apples and oranges.

Arfield was a starter for most of the season and played in almost every game. He was an EPL regular. To say a player of that profile would not be near the 18 is something I strongly disagree with.

I do somewhat agree about Hoilett however. He had a mediocre season in the Championship by his standards, and with Nagbe playing well, would be on the outside looking in. He'd be firmly in the pool though. He would have undoubtedly hit double digit caps in his four seasons in the EPL with Blackburn / QPR.

Agree with Johnson. He'd have a Dax MacCarthy level of USMNT involvment, which is not much, but it is something.

Finally, I want to give some perspective by reminding everyone that Brek Shea has 30-odd caps for the USA

Edited by Obinna

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Two things not being discussed as far as I can see, but as a father of young ones I have to think at least one of these two images has something to do with a possible move to Canada, if indeed it pans out:

Atiba.jpg

Bumper crop of locks in that household.  Every drain will be clogged in the bathrooms but you know who's going to get the grief for a few whiskers scattered here and there on the basin?  Yeah, that's right.  Baldy.     

8 hours ago, nolando said:

Two things not being discussed as far as I can see, but as a father of young ones I have to think at least one of these two images has something to do with a possible move to Canada, if indeed it pans out:

Atiba.jpg

turkey-explosions-7591.jpg

What a beautiful family. 

Probably cap tie the kids now too just to be safe. Prop em up by the corner flag during the injury time of a qualifier. 

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

@harrycoysterCurious, do you rate Bedoya above Arfield? 

The only time Bedoya has seen minutes for the US since Arena took over is as a ball-chasing midfielder who gets wide in the attack. Think that Bedoya is better in that role, but Arfield would be better in a true 442. It's a bit of a mute point though as Bedoya is very much a role player for the US. Arena seems to favor Fabian Johnson, Paul Arriola and Seb Lleget over him at RM nowadays.

Bedoya didn't even dress for the recent US v Mexico match.

Edited by harrycoyster

• 2 weeks later...

Are the rumours of Atiba Hutchinson being linked with The Vancouver Whitecaps true? 

Also, what are the chances of him coming back to the national team in September? Hope he hasn't retired from international football after a disappointing WCQ campaign.

Honestly why would he come back for a year of friendlies if he is missing the Gold Cup. He is obviously running out of gas, especially with the long european season

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, badname22 said:

could he have retired but then zambrano convinced he to come back?

I don't think anyone convinced him. He's 34 and is unlikely to be here for the next cycle. There's no real reason to convince him to come back at this time.

This is likely a come and say goodbye in Toronto call up or a duty must be done to keep the MNT going at home after the Gold Cup.

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, king1010 said:

If it was a send off wouldnt the CSA be marketing it as such? 

They didn't openly market the Curaçao game as Bernier's goodbye or the 2014 Jamaica game as DeRo's

There's a chance it isn't but it seems likely it is (unless England happens...that would totally not be marketed as his goodbye)

Edited by matty

14 minutes ago, matty said:

They didn't openly market the Curaçao game as Bernier's goodbye or the 2014 Jamaica game as DeRo's

There's a chance it isn't but it seems likely it is (unless England happens...that would totally not be marketed as his goodbye)

It wasn't Bernier's goodbye because he played in the Gold Cup

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

It wasn't Bernier's goodbye because he played in the Gold Cup

It was and it wasn't. It clearly had a "say goodbye in front of your town" vibe to it. Same can be said of the DeRo game I mentioned

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, matty said:

It was and it wasn't. It clearly had a "say goodbye in front of your town" vibe to it. Same can be said of the DeRo game I mentioned

what gave you this vibe you speak of. It could have just been a "put the home boy on the team to sell tickets" kind of vibe

12 minutes ago, canta15 said:

what gave you this vibe you speak of. It could have just been a "put the home boy on the team to sell tickets" kind of vibe

A few things, such as the selection of Montreal for the game over Vancouver and Toronto, when they haven't been there for almost a decade, and the fact he announced he plans to retire after this season back in December. He's pending retirement hung over much of the game. He was IMO the most key player to the game's promotion as well (over Sam and AJH).

Edited by matty

20 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Molinaro said in his article that atiba hasnt made a decision yet as to whether he will be part of next cycles wcq. 

Safe to say this isnt a final send off 

Ummmm no it isn't safe to say this isn't. He's 34 and the next round isn't until he's 36 and he missed the Gold Cup because of a recurring injury. There's a good chance this or the next big friendly in Canada could be the end of his international time and the CSA are covering bases should it happen.

Edited by matty