Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

22 hours ago, matty said:

Ummmm no it isn't safe to say this isn't. He's 34 and the next round isn't until he's 36 and he missed the Gold Cup because of a recurring injury. There's a good chance this or the next big friendly in Canada could be the end of his international time and the CSA are covering bases should it happen.

Right. Just like you said in this post. Theres a chance he plays again after this friendly. 

Edited by king1010

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Right. Just like you said in this post. Theres a chance he plays again after this friendly. 

Yes there's a chance but it's far from "safe to say this isn't a final send off" like you said.

He's likely done after this or the England friendly

Edited by matty

17 hours ago, Big_M said:

Good call if it's Hutchinson's goodbye, awful one if it's to try to get him to keep going like he did with Bernier. Let it go...

I think yoh miss the point of the bernier one. It wasn't meant to be his last game but rather meant to give him a game with Canada in Montreal.

If we wanna call something botched, look at dero's send off

Edited by matty

28 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Whats this england friendly you keep speaking of? Is it official? 

About 2 months ago Rollins Tweeted about the CSA setting up a game this fall between Canada and England in Toronto to celebrate Canada 150. Nothing is official but seems likely and it would happen in November if it does happen.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:15 AM, Big_M said:

Good call if it's Hutchinson's goodbye, awful one if it's to try to get him to keep going like he did with Bernier. Let it go...

I disagree. Like I said in the roster thread - even if he doesn't last until the WC cycle Atiba's leadership, experience and professionalism could make a real impact on and further the development of the core group of our young talented players.

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I disagree. Like I said in the roster thread - even if he doesn't last until the WC cycle Atiba's leadership, experience and professionalism could make a real impact on and further the development of the core group of our young talented players.

Exactly. How can a guy playing Champions League, our only one really, convert all of a sudden into a has-been? Sure, it'll be 3 years from now, 2 and a bit, and he could be clearly in decline. But it depends. 

I have heard this "call in the young guys for the next cycle" line ever since I have been on this board, and have never agreed. I say: play the guys who are the objectively best players we have, at all times if possible. In any case, except outside Fifa windows or like January camps, you should always call up the very best players of your pool who are healthy.

And only after that, discuss possible details and exceptions, as a completetly secondary principle.

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have heard this "call in the young guys for the next cycle" line ever since I have been on this board, and have never agreed. I say: play the guys who are the objectively best players we have, at all times if possible. In any case, except outside Fifa windows or like January camps, you should always call up the very best players of your pool who are healthy

I agree with your point generally, but I think there is a legitimate reason to call up young players over older players in friendlies. The US basically turned around Bobby Wood's whole career because they called him into a friendly against Germany over Dempsey where he scored the winning goal. Mexico rarely calls in their top players when they don't absolutely need to, and the rotational call-ins put lesser known domestic players like Miguel Layun on the path to European careers. The German national team has repeatedly used very young teams in all but the Euros/WC to see who can contribute before the games really matter. 

Every so often you need to take stock of the talent pool. Sometimes one or two players just need a stage to show what they can offer and younger players may show another level of talent playing in a different system from their club.

At some point father time is going to catch up to Hutch....if WCQ was upcoming in the next six months absolutely he'd be a part of it...but its two years away and 2 1/2 yrs before he'd really be needed in the later rounds...odds are at 36 going on 37 he's gonna wear down..so use this next 2 years to develop guys and build the pool of capable guys to replace him....then in 2019 if Hutch is still in good form and is the exception to the rule...you view it as a bonus....

He's been such a good soldier for the team for so long...he deserves a proper sendoff and a huge thank you.....

Edited by mrstepp817

3 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

At some point father time is going to catch up to Hutch....if WCQ was upcoming in the next six months absolutely he'd be a part of it...but its two years away and 2 1/2 yrs before he'd really be needed in the later rounds...odds are at 36 going on 37 he's gonna wear down..so use this next 2 years to develop guys and build the pool of capable guys to replace him....then in 2019 if Hutch is still in good form and is the exception to the rule...you view it as a bonus....

He's been such a good soldier for the team for so long...he deserves a proper sendoff and a huge thank you.....

I suppose it depends if he plans on playing until he's 39, which is how old he'd be come WC time.

12 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

He could but it's a matter of if he wants to/can. He's old, hurting and has likely done everything he can for Canada outside of becoming an adviser. His involvement would be very part time and that might not be possible with the Nations League, which will likely need a more serious commitment than 1 game every 6 months.

Unless he leaves Turkey for MLS, he future seems to not include the MNT (at least full time).

If Atiba is done after this or the maybe England game, I think it creates a great chance to have Hoilett or Arfield or some other 25-30 vet set up instead of relying on the 30+ guys like we have for much of the decade.

Edited by matty

55 minutes ago, matty said:

He could but it's a matter of if he wants to/can. He's old, hurting and has likely done everything he can for Canada outside of becoming an adviser. His involvement would be very part time and that might not be possible with the Nations League, which will likely need a more serious commitment than 1 game every 6 months.

Unless he leaves Turkey for MLS, he future seems to not include the MNT (at least full time).

If Atiba is done after this or the maybe England game, I think it creates a great chance to have Hoilett or Arfield or some other 25-30 vet set up instead of relying on the 30+ guys like we have for much of the decade.

I understand the thinking with moving on from Hutch. But it would be a mistake. Yes he's 34 year old, his body has a lot of miles on it. Why does he have to play or play a full game?  His experience and skill are going to be needed, this year and next are going to key for Canada. We really needs to boost our ranking to help the program.  We need leadership for the young guys coming up through the system to get ready for 2022 and 2026. Gold Cup 2019 Canada needs to make it to finals, We need to  qualify for the World Cup 2022  ( it's a must) and in 2026 we have to  competitive and not embarrass the country, because in 2026 ( if we get the bid) if we suck, it's going to set the program back  astronomical.

we have some young CMs, Chapman , Trafford , Osorio,  Paton, Kaye etc, it's time for them to set up, but it's nice to have an  Insurance policy ( Hutch). With Arfield, Hutch,  Bernie maybe doing a  rotation or just with the team, it's going to help !

Edited by SpecialK

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

I understand the thinking with moving on from Hutch. But it would be a mistake. Yes he's 34 year old, his body has a lot of miles on it. Why does he have to play or play a full game?  His experience and skill are going to be needed, this year and next are going to key for Canada. We really needs to boost our ranking to help the program.  We need leadership for the young guys coming up through the system to get ready for 2022 and 2026. Gold Cup 2019 Canada needs to make it to finals, We need to  qualify for the World Cup 2022  ( it's a must) and in 2026 we have to  competitive and not embarrass the country, because in 2026 ( if we get the bid) if we suck, it's going to set the program back  astronomical.

we have some young CMs, Chapman , Trafford , Osorio,  Paton, Kaye etc, it's time for them to set up, buts nice to have an  Insurance policy ( Hutch). With Arfield, Hutch,  Bernie maybe doing a  rotation or just with the team, it's going to help !

I get your logic but it's time for a new leader to emerge. We've got some guys who could easily step into that role that are going to be around for 2019 and 2022 (Arfield, Hoillet, Osorio) and this is the window to get them going. We also might be seeing the best MNT ever emerge over 2018 and 2019 stable leadership is needed for them not part time.

Also Bernier is retiring. Why do peeps keep forgetting that.

1 hour ago, matty said:

I get your logic but it's time for a new leader to emerge. We've got some guys who could easily step into that role that are going to be around for 2019 and 2022 (Arfield, Hoillet, Osorio) and this is the window to get them going. We also might be seeing the best MNT ever emerge over 2018 and 2019 stable leadership is needed for them not part time.

Also Bernier is retiring. Why do peeps keep forgetting that.

Oh I get that and that needs to happens with Arfield and Hoilett etc. Hutch is 34 and playing at a high level, let's drain as much as we can. The roster against Jamaica is a great example of that mix. Arfield is not there but Hutch is back and Chapman ,Osorio and Kaye are there. Now maybe Scotty will get called because of will Johnson getting hurt, I doubt it but it's possible.  

But if we play England, I really hope Canada brings the Best squad possible. 

22 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

But if we play England, I really hope Canada brings the Best squad possible. 

100% atiba, arfield, hoilett, larin, mike pet, calavini, milan, sammy, davies, tosaint all need to be there and if you can get cristante and tabla on board. Any and all stars and futures need to be there.

Canada can afford to lose that game but needs to look good and needs to boast having big time players active in the epl, liga mx, serie a and playing for historic teams like red star. We need to look sexy

Edited by matty

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wish the CSA would do this for Canada 150 bring in England and France. Canada vs England in Toronto and France vs Canada in Montreal and england vs France in ottawa. 

That would be AMAZING! 

Lol yea sadly it's too much.

The current plan for england and USA (for the wnt) is fine. Imagine if they did USA, England and France over the year for both teams across Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. These boards would die

22 minutes ago, matty said:

The current plan for england and USA (for the wnt) is fine. Imagine if they did USA, England and France over the year for both teams across Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. These boards would die

That would be so amazing! Those games would bring in so much money ! 

Edited by SpecialK

33 minutes ago, matty said:

The boards wouldn't die. It would scale up in the cloud and I would go broke.