Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

Interesting note to the Champion's League game that Germany's most hated player Timo Werner (plays for Red Bull, frequent diver) earned even more hatred by asking to be substituted out of the game against Besiktas because the crowd noise was too loud for him: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/27/rb-leipzig-timo-werner-besiktas-crowd-noise

On 4/9/2017 at 9:05 PM, Blackdude said:

No. Numbers don't get retired in international football. Marc Vivien Foe died on the pitch for Cameroon wearing #17 and they still have to issue  the number if they name a squad for official matches (WCQ, AFCON, etc.) We can't really retire the number, because that number would need to be used at the Gold Cup. And Sinclair might be the only player where they wouldn't issue her number for future firendlies after her retirement, but it would need to be reiussed one day anyways. 

About retiring numbers, it is even hard for clubs.

Espanyol defender Dani Jarque died tragically in preseason back around 2009, he was a fine player and loved by a lot of national team members as well. When Iniesta scored the game winner at the 2010 WC he took off his shirt and it said "Dani Jarque Siempre con nosotros", Always With Us, an extraordinary gesture than earns him applause everytime Barça plays Espanyol (Iniesta is classy). They chose to not fill their roster to the maximum to always allow that shirt to be unusued, his name is on their practice fields complex.

But this year, they need the roster spot, the shirt has been revived, and a player who came up through  the academy was given it. So it was never retired, they just did not use it for 7 seasons in homage to him.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Jesus.  Atiba was buried on page 5 of the CMNT section.  Behind Kevin McKenna.

Anywho, Besiktas go 3 and 0 to lead their CL group with a win over Monaco.  Hutch goes the full 90 yet again.  

No way they don't go through to the knockout rounds.

I believe he was also the captain as well.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Apologies for likely jinxing this, but has a Canadian (not counting guys that were capped by someone else) ever been on a team that won their group in the Champions League?

Radzinski in 2000-01, Anderlecht won their group with Man United, PSV and Dynamo Kyiv.

Paul Stalteri (Werder Bremen) came close in 2004-05 when they finished with 13 points and Inter won the group with 14 pts.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

How does tsn decide which games to show? At 12 Tuesday they r showing Maribor and Moscow instead of Besiktas Porto. Nevermind all the Canadian Portugese that would watch why wouldn't they choose to show a Canadian playing for one of the top teams on the tournament so far?

TSN typically spreads out the games on each of it's 5 channels, so likely Besiktas-Porto will be on one of them.

13 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

How does tsn decide which games to show? At 12 Tuesday they r showing Maribor and Moscow instead of Besiktas Porto. Nevermind all the Canadian Portugese that would watch why wouldn't they choose to show a Canadian playing for one of the top teams on the tournament so far?

I think that they and BeIN have to choose between all 8 games. Don't know what is the order though, but I wouldn't be shocked that BeIN wanted that game really high in their priorities. 

I watched the first 30 min before more work. Atiba was captain and covered well defensively, even got into the box attacking. Hard worker and key player for them, also positioned himself well for the CBs to play out. Game was even and Porto goal deserved. Glad they tied it up to win the group, gives them a 2nd leg home.

I was thinking Besiktas is basically the same team as last year, the only really important addition is Pepe, who is solid. There is Medel too, who came on at the half in the middle. They still play a bit sloppy and lack precision passing, but are more experienced in Champions and play as a group well. Average age over 28. In league I see since Galatasaray has stalled, they are just 4 points back, so now they can spend 2 months catching up in league and may have a chance at the title there again.

Negredo came on m. 90, they don't think much of him and  the option for Larin has to be alive still.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I watched the first 30 min before more work. Atiba was captain and covered well defensively, even got into the box attacking. Hard worker and key player for them, also positioned himself well for the CBs to play out. Game was even and Porto goal deserved. Glad they tied it up to win the group, gives them a 2nd leg home.

I was thinking Besiktas is basically the same team as last year, the only really important addition is Pepe, who is solid. There is Medel too, who came on at the half in the middle. They still play a bit sloppy and lack precision passing, but are more experienced in Champions and play as a group well. Average age over 28. In league I see since Galatasaray has stalled, they are just 4 points back, so now they can spend 2 months catching up in league and may have a chance at the title there again.

Negredo came on m. 90, they don't think much of him and  the option for Larin has to be alive still.

I was looking at the stats and it sounds like Besiktas could use another striker for league play. Tosun and Babel are struggling for goals in the league. They seem like they could use one more to rotate with them and allow for rests.

10 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I was looking at the stats and it sounds like Besiktas could use another striker for league play. Tosun and Babel are struggling for goals in the league. They seem like they could use one more to rotate with them and allow for rests.

I agree. They lost that striker Aboubakar they had on loan, and they really have not properly replaced him. And Negredo is not doing it, I'm frankly not too surprised.

• 2 weeks later...