Ayo Akinola

masster

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Floortom said:

He’s been generally terrible tonight, and most the season too. I think if you’re TFC you have to go with Jimenez going forward as bad as his slump has been lately. 

Akinola presses and stretches the opposition back line way more than Jimenez does, which is why I think Bradley sticks with him as a starter.

11 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I don’t know about anyone else, but it saddens me to say that with his efforts this season. He could be out of the league next season 🥺

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/toronto-fc-re-sign-forward-ayo-akinola-to-u22-initiative-deal

His agent looks to have done him well!

"Akinola's new deal runs through 2024 with an option for 2025."

Maybe not the option part though.

I don’t think gets booted from the league, but he definitely has to up his game if he wants meaningful minutes and not just a role as substitute/coverage.   TFC are clearly in the mindset where they are going to buy a winning team - I doubt an unproductive strikeforce ia part of that plan next year.  If I were him and Jimenez, I would be seeing the writing on the wall and trying to get my shit together.   

It's too bad how it has worked out for him, he finally commits to Canada and has a devastating injury playing for us and is really having a difficult time getting his club career back on track! I was never really sold on his talents, too much was based on a few goals in the MLS is back Tournament, I was pleased when he finally did choose Canada and actually had a chance to personally thank him when I delivered the V's Cup at THF, hopefully he regains some form and gets back on track!

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think gets booted from the league, but he definitely has to up his game if he wants meaningful minutes and not just a role as substitute/coverage.   TFC are clearly in the mindset where they are going to buy a winning team - I doubt an unproductive strikeforce ia part of that plan next year.  If I were him and Jimenez, I would be seeing the writing on the wall and trying to get my shit together.   

I’m pretty sure TFC will use their third DP on a striker next year, and him and Jimenez are expensive for non-DP deals. Even if he has a contract, there are creative ways to get out of it, where he’ll still get paid.

I find a player like Jordan Hamilton seemed way more productive than him on less minutes, and he couldn’t find a club in MLS.

Hopefully he gets another sniff next year.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I think people need to chill. They made a big investment in him, he came off a big injury he won’t get booted after a season.

It can take longer than one season to recover from a serious knee injury. What we need to see now is TFC setting out a serious fitness and strengthening program so Ayo can build resilience in the knee and increase his level of confidence to play all in. TFC needs to do this, if for no other reason, to protect its investment. A win-win can happen here.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Nominated by Toronto for Comeback player of the year. 

lol.

2022 : 25 games, 2 goals

2021 : 11 games, 3 goals 

I believe this is what many like to call a comedown.

Edited by phresh