Ayo Akinola

masster

43 minutes ago, Shway said:

These guys are clearing out the young guys on the roster silently if this is true.

First Shaffelburg, released Okello, then Petrasso, we heard Nelson rumours, and now Akinola.

TFC preseason is going to be interesting.

While still having Nelson (at least for now), Thompson, Chung, JMR, Kerr, MacNaughton (not young but in the same position) plus recent academy grads like Franklin, Mbongue and Antonoglou who will be looking to make an impact next year. It's too much talent for 1 team to develop and nurture and it's good that the club's finally realizing holding on to too many young players doesn't help anybody.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:03 PM, Obinna said:

Playing for an expansion team could be a cool project and fresh start for a guy like Akinola.

I don't know what deals TFC have baking in the oven right now.

I would hope they give Akinola one more chance though. I'm praying he comes into camp healthy and in shape this season.

He got most of his minutes last season after TFC was basically done and dusted, so it seems pretty foolish to write him off based on a lost season where he's coming back from a major injury. However, I feel that no striker is going to flourish when the entire focus of the offence is going to be getting goals from the two Italians. In the weird world of MLS DPdom, they'll feel they need to be the stars to earn their money, so it's always going to be a shoot first mentality. He's probably better off going somewhere different.

• 4 weeks later...

His 23rd birthday is coming up in a couple of days so moving from a young up-and-comer into the early phase of his prime years.   With a full and healthy preseason and lots of time since his big injury, this is definitely an important campaign for Ayo.  He has to show he can be an effective striker at this level - and another mediocre campaign might be an indicator that his ceiling is lower than we had all hoped.  

He should be ready and fit, no excuses this year.  We have him under contract for the next 2 years plus an option, so hopefully he gets back on track.  Even with the Insigne being a little "me first" there should be lots of attacking football and rebounds to bang in if he is on his toes.  

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

His 23rd birthday is coming up in a couple of days so moving from a young up-and-comer into the early phase of his prime years.   With a full and healthy preseason and lots of time since his big injury, this is definitely an important campaign for Ayo.  He has to show he can be an effective striker at this level - and another mediocre campaign might be an indicator that his ceiling is lower than we had all hoped.  

I really don't want him to hit us with more proof of the formula, where a player who commits to us more often than not trends downwards for the rest of their career.

Edited by VinceA

Could see Whitecaps trading Brian White somewhere and then picking up Akinola. Akinola and another DP striker would freshen them up. I don't see him going to Europe. Not anywhere stepping up. His stock took a hit the last year or two since the injury.

Sure he and the other strikers were also thrilled with this likely completely accidental poke at getting some proven firepower upfront.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Could see Whitecaps trading Brian White somewhere and then picking up Akinola. Akinola and another DP striker would freshen them up. I don't see him going to Europe. Not anywhere stepping up. His stock took a hit the last year or two since the injury.

Then I don't see why the Caps would take him on if they have two younger Cancon striker prospects (Wright and the Syracuse draft pick) already in their fold to go with a possible new international striker, not to mention the other draft pick they promoted.  The only possible way I could see him here is if his contract (more than White's extension) is not a cap hit, for whatever reason.  Also, that White contract extension makes him tough to trade based on his underwhelming production in 2022.

He needs to show something in Toronto this year, as @Bison44 implies.  

Edited by BearcatSA

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Then I don't see why the Caps would take him on if they have two younger Cancon striker prospects (Wright and the Syracuse draft pick) already in their fold to go with a possible new international striker, not to mention the other draft pick they promoted.  The only possible way I could see him here is if his contract (more than White's ectension) is not a cap hit, for whatever reason.

Isn't Levonte a '99?

27 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Then I don't see why the Caps would take him on if they have two younger Cancon striker prospects (Wright and the Syracuse draft pick) already in their fold to go with a possible new international striker, not to mention the other draft pick they promoted.  The only possible way I could see him here is if his contract (more than White's ectension) is not a cap hit, for whatever reason.  Also, that White contract extension makes him tough to trade based on his underwhelming production in 2022.

Levonte is more of a wide player isn't he? I know he plays in attack but he has played alot as a wide forward, winger and even fullback. I don't know that Wright is ready, i havent seen anything to show the whitecaps think so. Did he even make an appearance for the second string? They didnt take him for pre season with a weak attack. Is he injured maybe? Either way they only have Becher beyond that. 

If they can get Baribo or another quality forward and Akinola they would have Becher and Johnson/Wright too. 

You are right with the wages/cap space issue though most likely. If they can make it work I think ayo is worth the risk.