Ayo Akinola

masster

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

For his own sake, he should have been loaned out to a CPL or USL side near the beginning of the season when it was obvious he wasn’t at MLS level (be it from the injury, fitness, whatever).  
I still believe he can get back on track, but like everything TFC touches (with the exception of Franklin), it finds a way to break it.

Valour need a striker, no?

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Am I wrong to feel like a lineup of Canadian players our 3 MLS teams have passed on would likely beat a team with Canadian players currently on those 3 MLS rosters?

Canadians 
Sirios 
Franklin stefanovic Waterman ZBG
Oso saliba choiniere
JMR Kerr ahmed
Subs: piette, raposo, rea, thompson, mbongue, tiebert, yao 

passed up on/transfers  
crepeau
edwards Miller Mcnaughton petrasso 
Shaf Kaye priso Baldisimo
JRR Akinola

Subs: Okello
Do guys like bombito, farsi, cambridge, heibert, afrirfa etc count? 
What about adekugbe, cornelius, nelson, fraser etc. 

Hopefully a fresh start lets him reset.  Agree with comments about his fitness and drive.  He needs to rediscover it.  I think I said previously- he did an interview a while back which was really enlightening about his personal background and challenges, but he also projected an attitude that he had chew over his goal now that he signed a pro contract.  The reality is that is when you need to double down and train harder, not ease up because you “had made it”.  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

He really needs this move and it will help TFC out. No brainer. Wish he had signed with the Caps at the start of the year instead of re-signing with TFC.

Seriously?  Based on what he has shown last year let alone this year?

He's washing out, unfortunately.  Love to eat crow on this one but I just don't see a turnaround.  

14 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Seriously?  Based on what he has shown last year let alone this year?

He's washing out, unfortunately.  Love to eat crow on this one but I just don't see a turnaround.  

TFC fans did write off McNaughton and Shaffelburg too.

33 minutes ago, narduch said:

TFC fans did write off McNaughton and Shaffelburg too.

I don't think most TFC fans were happy for Shaff leaving. It just seemed like he wasn't going to get playing time with Insigne there. McNaughton on the other hand I doubt ever holds down a starting position in MLS. I hope to get called out in future because he becomes a very useful CB. He has done better in Nashville than I thought.

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Am I wrong to feel like a lineup of Canadian players our 3 MLS teams have passed on would likely beat a team with Canadian players currently on those 3 MLS rosters?

It’s hilarious to me that this time last year Shaffelburg was an afterthought, and last weekend I heard an announcer call him and Mukhtar “one of the most potent offensive duos in MLS when they’re on”. 

I hope Akinola has a similar resurgence. Any time a player leaves Toronto is a good thing.

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Canadians 
Sirios 
Franklin stefanovic Waterman ZBG
Oso saliba choiniere
JMR Kerr ahmed
Subs: piette, raposo, rea, thompson, mbongue, tiebert, yao 

passed up on/transfers  
crepeau
edwards Miller Mcnaughton petrasso 
Shaf Kaye priso Baldisimo
JRR Akinola

Subs: Okello
Do guys like bombito, farsi, cambridge, heibert, afrirfa etc count? 
What about adekugbe, cornelius, nelson, fraser etc. 

So we're excluding the Mitrovics, Sigurs.....?

Edited by costarg

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s hilarious to me that this time last year Shaffelburg was an afterthought, and last weekend I heard an announcer call him and Mukhtar “one of the most potent offensive duos in MLS when they’re on”. 

I hope Akinola has a similar resurgence. Any time a player leaves Toronto is a good thing.

Sad but true.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, Ruffian said:

I don't think most TFC fans were happy for Shaff leaving. It just seemed like he wasn't going to get playing time with Insigne there. McNaughton on the other hand I doubt ever holds down a starting position in MLS. I hope to get called out in future because he becomes a very useful CB. He has done better in Nashville than I thought.

Because of Nashville's primary defensive set up orientation (for McNaughton) and counterattacking modus operandi (for Shaffleburg), I believed at the time that these two could conribute in the Music City for Smith and company, and Shaffelburg has done particularly well. 

But with Akinola, I'm not seeing it.  Hasn't shown the engine to play in a pressing game, lacks the techique to be a consistent hold up/linking player, while injury plus recovery issues probably have robbed him of that yard or two of burst he used to have to run on to through balls played between gaps.  There is a lot to prove here.

Like amy other Canadian players in similar situations, it would be great to see a comeback for him.  However, SJ are taking him on a no risk flyer via a loan and not a trade, so if things don't pan out, they are not on the hook for anything.

A fresh start and an excellent opportunity to show his stuff.

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Being a TFC fan, he was so frustrating to watch.

Just seems to lack the dedication for his fitness level and just seems to be giving a half effort on the field.

I hope he figures it out with a change in scenery

I feel like his motivation levels are just entirely down. He's winning at the bank as he's on massive wages that don't make sense in the league for his output. (It does at TFC however with Italians on stupid salaries)

I hope he gets that motivation/hunger back.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Everyone forgetting Shaff lost his spot to Petrasso. Got a change in scenery a direct style and is doing better.