Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

Based on a quote from this article, Chapman is on the national team radar in the same manner that Petrasso is. Have to think he will feature in the next qualifying cycle, as well as if we do make the Hex.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/29/much-stake-canada-boss-benito-floro-looming-world-cup-qualifiers

One other Toronto FC player who could be added to the mix, should Canada qualify for the Hex, is 22-year-old

Jay Chapman. The second-year player has made the most of his opportunity to shine in the midfield for his hometown team this summer. “We have him in our mind,” said Floro. “If we go ahead to the Hexagonal, [we may] start to include him at the same time as [Michael] Petrasso and other young players.”

58 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Based on a quote from this article, Chapman is on the national team radar in the same manner that Petrasso is. Have to think he will feature in the next qualifying cycle, as well as if we do make the Hex.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/29/much-stake-canada-boss-benito-floro-looming-world-cup-qualifiers

Good for him, bad timing to bring him into the fold.  If we pull it off I really hope we have some type of camp/friendlies scheduled ahead of next round for these type of players.

Edited by apbsmith

9 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Good for him, bad timing to bring him into the fold.  If we pull it off I really hope we have some type of camp/friendlies scheduled ahead of next round for these type of players.

Camp Poutine in Jan

48 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Bringing in a CAM if we make the hex? 

Definitely points to a shift in playing style if we make it through the next couple of games, which makes sense. You can't bunker through to the top 3, even if it is already a long shot

He is not a CAM. Osorio would better fit that role. But Floro hats CAMs

• 8 months later...

Very impressed by Chapman today. Poised, great vision, great passing! He plays a similar role as guys like Delgado and Osorio, but he looks more technically gifted, smarter and has much better vision. He needs more minutes! Keep in mind that Vazquez and Cheyrou are old buggers. And Cooper is way too inconsistent. Chapman made a good case for more minutes today! Like the look of this kid

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Delgado plays a different role, as the Johnson-style secondary DM/6. Chapman is up against Osorio, Vazquez and Cooper for minutes. I would rather see him than Osorio or Cooper but Vazquez is a different matter.

Chapman is the future, though. Vazquez is old and will find it tough to stay fresh in a league where the travel and schedule are as demanding as they are. Lots more games to come for Chapman

11 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Chapman had a massive game.  Arguably the best player on the pitch in the first half.  

He certainly did enough to give Vanney some selection consideration moving forward, he needs to play more!

14 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Delgado plays a different role, as the Johnson-style secondary DM/6. Chapman is up against Osorio, Vazquez and Cooper for minutes. I would rather see him than Osorio or Cooper but Vazquez is a different matter.

Vanney wants to play with a natural no. 10 in essentially a 3-4-1-2 formation. Cooper and Delgado are fighting for the deeper scrapper like player who can do the dirty work in midfield. That leaves Vasquez and Chapman up against each other in the classic no. 10 role.

I think Osorio's role is much muddier. That game where he squandered 3 decent opportunities has pretty much set him in limbo. Not creative enough as a 10, not physical enough to be an 8 and very similar to Nagbe in that sense. He'll still get plenty of minutes under Vanney.

Edited by PopePouri

I really dig TFC's midfield options this season. They all offer something a little different.

I do like Chapman as a young player who can fill in for Vazquez in sort of an attacking midfielder role. He is more dynamic than Vazquez, who has more composure and variety in his passing. 

All in all, great to see Chapman do well.

I wonder if he'll be in the conversation for a Gold Cup call. Between him and Tabla (should he decide to play), we have at least two players who I think are able to play a no. 10 role, if Zambrano wants to go that route. Osorio, who some of us have pegged to play there in the past, just isn't quite the right fit. He is more of a no. 8 who has great feet. Aleman I would need to see more of, but that's potentially a third option for a no. 10. He is getting minutes here and there for Costa Rican giants Saprissa, so as a third string CAM we could do a lot worse.

TFC's midfield is extremely talented.  Chapman was tremendous against Seattle.  Vazquez is a player.  Like Johnson before him, Osorio may need to move on in order to get the playing time he needs to be successful and contribute to the MNT.  It would be a shame being a local boy and all, but I fear right now his playing time is going to drop significantly. 

It's kind of a shame that Chapman was signed by TFC and didn't enter the draft.. he was pegged to be a top 5 pick and he for sure would have broken in elsewhere.  

Same goes for a guy like Hamilton who could probably see decent minutes if he was on any other team.  

Anyway, Chapman's still young (although not THAT young) and he seems to be developing each time we see him.  He looked really good yesterday.. like really good.  Very composed and confident on the ball aside from the key passes which were beautiful he did really well to make space for himself and keep the team in possession.  I'd be confident starting him any match.  

8 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

TFC's midfield is extremely talented.  Chapman was tremendous against Seattle.  Vazquez is a player.  Like Johnson before him, Osorio may need to move on in order to get the playing time he needs to be successful and contribute to the MNT.  It would be a shame being a local boy and all, but I fear right now his playing time is going to drop significantly. 

It's hard to say, isn't it? I mean, if he moves on to a Philadelphia or San Jose because he was relegated to "occasional" starter at top of the table TFC, does he become a better player as a result? I'm not so sure it does. 

The same is true of Akindele. Occasional starter with FC Dallas who are title contenders every season. I'd almost rather he continues to be part of that winning culture down there. The national team could use more players who are use to winning.

Edited by Obinna