Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Realllllly hope lucas is committed to the program going forward. We absolutely need him, not just because hes playing regularly at a high level, but because he is playing regularly in MEXICO.

The last two cycles we’ve gone out because we havent been able to pick up a result in central america. Playing there regularly he could bring a sense of confidence and comfort to the squad when playing in wcq/ nations league/ copa. 

Edited by king1010

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

That was an outrageously good header. Power. Accuracy. From pretty far out. I really like how he appears to stop and even take a step backwards to quickly sort his feet out early which gets his body in perfect position for the successful header. Colour me impressed.

+1

Cavallini and Larin together in the box would be a sight to see.

33 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

That was an outrageously good header. Power. Accuracy. From pretty far out. I really like how he appears to stop and even take a step backwards to quickly sort his feet out early which gets his body in perfect position for the successful header. Colour me impressed.

Up until now, I've considered Cavallini to be very good, but not necessarily Canada's undisputed number one striker. But after seeing that amazing header, I've changed my mind. He needs to be in our starting 11.

10 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Up until now, I've considered Cavallini to be very good, but not necessarily Canada's undisputed number one striker. But after seeing that amazing header, I've changed my mind. He needs to be in our starting 11.

I agree. I was unconvinced during Gold Cup that Cavallini had taken the top spot from Larin. But now with the playing time and goals easily in Cavallini's favour, I am now on the Cavallini bandwagon.

Hope Herdman is fully in too. Best way to piss of Cavallini is having Larin start ahead of him or sub him out for Larin unless we're cruising to victory.

The next LoN matches counts so Cavallini needs to start in all 4 games and be kept on so he can just destroy our opponents. Goal differentials will matter if we want to make League A

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The next LoN matches counts so Cavallini needs to start in all 4 games and be kept on so he can just destroy our opponents.

A goal would be a start.  His play has been really impressive for us and his form has been great in Mexico so I hope he does indeed start for us in the fall.  But he hasn't actually scored a goal for Canada yet at the senior level.  

And Herdman seems the type who is going to put team ahead of individual so I don't think his concern is whether or not he pisses Lucas off.

Cavallini with his hold-up play and  now his finishing with Puebla is our best fit at striker if he remains fully committed.  But either he's all in or he's not.  But if he's going to question his decision to play for us after every match we don't need that distraction.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

The next LoN matches counts so Cavallini needs to start in all 4 games and be kept on so he can just destroy our opponents. Goal differentials will matter if we want to make League A

If Cavallini scores a lot of goals in the first 4 game of the League of Nations then ALL of his goals will be against minnows. We should probably sit him if that happens. Even worse than Ricketts!!!!

I hope we'll see our best XI for the nations league (meaning Cavallini in the squad)...  but sadly I know we won't. 

He and like a few of our best players will be in situations that ultimately supercede the need to play for Canada. 

I'm happy for Cavallini, I'm happy his career is going the way it is. I'll be complete happy when his club form continues onto the CMNT. 

Isn’t TFC training there ahead of CCL match? Wouldn’t be surprised if the TFC lads were at the match if that’s the case. Hopefully Osorio especially might have talked up the camp in Spain and Herdman’s plans. I’m not on instagram but that’s probably a good place to look for clues lol. 

58 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Isn’t TFC training there ahead of CCL match? Wouldn’t be surprised if the TFC lads were at the match if that’s the case. Hopefully Osorio especially might have talked up the camp in Spain and Herdman’s plans. I’m not on instagram but that’s probably a good place to look for clues lol. 

Never say never, but Puebla is about 100km from Mexico D.F. so doubt they would have gone.

8 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I hope we'll see our best XI for the nations league (meaning Cavallini in the squad)...  but sadly I know we won't. 

He and like a few of our best players will be in situations that ultimately supercede the need to play for Canada. 

I'm happy for Cavallini, I'm happy his career is going the way it is. I'll be complete happy when his club form continues onto the CMNT. 

Let’s see what kind of spine Herdman has.  Players can’t just come and go as they please and choose how important matches are.. it’s like if your club team put you in the lineup for a cup game against a 3rd division side, what would happen if you said no? 

Its important to put this down now. And it will probably turn out that we lose Cavallini but that’s fine if it scares a half dozen others.

Anyway happy to see Cav doing well in Mexico and gaining more respect for Canadian football.  Mexicans must be like wtf is happening.. a bit part striker for Canada in top 5 scoring and TFC running through top teams.

Edited by Keegan

Have I missed something with respect to Cav and the MNT?  I don’t believe we know anything about his not playing in the New Zealand friendly.  We do know some players were left back to focus on club and I don’t believe there was a definitive no from Cav.  He is our most in form striker and the Siz would be an idiot if he wasn’t reaching out to Lucas.  

34 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Let’s see what kind of spine Herdman has.  Players can’t just come and go as they please and choose how important matches are.. it’s like if your club team put you in the lineup for a cup game against a 3rd division side, what would happen if you said no? 

Its important to put this down now. And it will probably turn out that we lose Cavallini but that’s fine if it scares a half dozen others.

Anyway happy to see Cav doing well in Mexico and gaining more respect for Canadian football.  Mexicans must be like wtf is happening.. a bit part striker for Canada in top 5 scoring and TFC running through top teams.

How has this worked out before for out national team? Yes of course you have to lay down the law as a head coach but Canada not having an abundance of top quality players sometimes you have to be creative as a coach and be a bit more lenient with certain players, we just don’t have the dempth in talent to leave a guy like Cavallini off the team because he can’t commit to every game. Let’s try and get our best players on the pitch and if it means letting a Cavallini miss some less important competitions so be it , we just don’t have the luxury to leave talented players off the team we need them all.

7 minutes ago, 1996 said:

How has this worked out before for out national team? Yes of course you have to lay down the law as a head coach but Canada not having an abundance of top quality players sometimes you have to be creative as a coach and be a bit more lenient with certain players, we just don’t have the dempth in talent to leave a guy like Cavallini off the team because he can’t commit to every game. Let’s try and get our best players on the pitch and if it means letting a Cavallini miss some less important competitions so be it , we just don’t have the luxury to leave talented players off the team we need them all.

I don’t think we’ve ever had this depth so if Cavallini (or anyone else) wants to no show why should he get a spot over other competent players. For example Larin, Ajh, Ricketts, Millar etc. We now have at least 3 solid options in every position so just like other national teams around the world players really need to think twice before declining a call. 

And let’s be real.. especially for a player who has been a no show for years, talks bad about the program, takes reds constantly and has yet to score a goal for us. What does it look like if you let that player choose when they come? This isn’t like Ibra or an indispensable talent.  Coaches need to be smart, players have to be treated equally and with respect for the team. 

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but if he doesn’t want to come home to play in Toronto regardless of the size of the opponent what does that tel us going forward?

Edited by Keegan

On 2018-04-02 at 4:05 PM, Shortdutchcanuck said:

A goal would be a start.  His play has been really impressive for us and his form has been great in Mexico so I hope he does indeed start for us in the fall.  But he hasn't actually scored a goal for Canada yet at the senior level.  

And Herdman seems the type who is going to put team ahead of individual so I don't think his concern is whether or not he pisses Lucas off.

Cavallini with his hold-up play and  now his finishing with Puebla is our best fit at striker if he remains fully committed.  But either he's all in or he's not.  But if he's going to question his decision to play for us after every match we don't need that distraction.

Against these minnows would be nice to have him but you and I can play up front and we should bag a few, it’s when we go up against the big boys in Concacaf that we need are best roster possible and yes it even means players like the Cavallinis who may question their decisions to play for Canada at times. How have we done with players that don’t seem to question sometimes their desire to play for Canada in certain games? How many World Cups have we made with these very committed players who were always all in? How many Hexes have we made with these all in never question playing for Canada every game players? How about we now try to do whatever it bloody takes to make sure we have all of our best players on the pitch when we are playing the big boys of Concacaf and not leave out players because they may of picked club over country in a game versus Antigua or Bahamas! Like I said this is Canada we are talking about here where an abundance of talented players is a phrase hardly used when describing Canadian Soccer , we don’t have the luxury of leaving guys like the Cavallinis of the worlds off our team , I wish we did but we don’t at the moment, when we do then by all means but we have not had that luxury ever with regards to our men’s national soccer team.

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I don’t think we’ve ever had this depth so if Cavallini (or anyone else) wants to no show why should he get a spot over other competent players. For example Larin, Ajh, Ricketts, Millar etc. We now have at least 3 solid options in every position so just like other national teams around the world players really need to think twice before declining a call. 

And let’s be real.. especially for a player who has been a no show for years, talks bad about the program, takes reds constantly and has yet to score a goal for us. What does it look like if you let that player choose when they come? This isn’t like Ibra or an indispensable talent.  Coaches need to be smart, players have to be treated equally and with respect for the team. 

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but if he doesn’t want to come home to play in Toronto regardless of the size of the opponent what does that tel us going forward?

He may not have scored but Cavallini looked like a threat every time he touched the ball in the last Gold Cup, he looked the part and I’m not surprised he is doing well in Mexico and as a side note maybe it’s time some of our players always packing up and going to Europe to sit on the bench and then get loaned out to some 4 division team try their luck in Mexico we don’t seem to get many players even trying out down there. For now it’s still a notch up from the MLS in most cases so would not be a bad option . In terms of Cavallini he is our top striker regardless of how many goals he has not scored for Canada , get this guy on the field do what it takes , its time we start beating the big boys of Concacaf when it counts once qualifying for the next World Cup comes along and to beat the big boys we need all our players no more what ifs.

6 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Wonder if his goal-scoring will get him noticed by other leagues/teams. Have to think he is getting more exposure now than when in Uruguay?

Peñarol are a pretty big club, with lots of former players now in Europe or the Uruguayan National team.

Regarding commitment to the CMNT, I haven't heard any "bad" news since the Gold Cup. I understand Vs are sensitive, but I think the "reading into things" is getting a bit out of control in this thread. At least for me I'm just assuming everything is okay until I hear something definitively the opposite. 

14 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Landed in Puebla, went to Pachuca from there, as per this article.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/06/toronto-fc-land-mexico-5-days-ahead-champions-league-semi-vs-america