Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

8 hours ago, Kent said:

"Herdman said, after discussions with their clubs, he opted to leave Vancouver Whitecaps teenage midfielder Alphonso Davies and Cardiff City winger Junior Hoilett with their teams. Both will feature in the future, he stressed." That's from Neil Davidson's article linked below.

https://www.tsn.ca/herdman-announces-first-roster-as-men-s-soccer-coach-1.1024618

Did Neil Davidson report EVERYTHING Herdman said verbatim? Or did he just choose snippets for his article? If the latter it is possible that Herdman did mention why Cav is missing but Davidson did not report it.

I think we should avoid jumping to conclusions here.

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Did Neil Davidson report EVERYTHING Herdman said verbatim? Or did he just choose snippets for his article? If the latter it is possible that Herdman did mention why Cav is missing but Davidson did not report it.

I think we should avoid jumping to conclusions here.

Jumping to conclusions IS what we do here.  

JH seems like the kind of guy who believes in “you’re either with us or against us” mentality, if that’s true I can see why Cav’s absence hasn’t been addressed. If he was left out of the squad because of a particular reason it would have been stated as with the other obvious omissions. If he declined a call or simply wasn’t chosen I would suspect JH wouldn’t even address it considering the above stated mentality. 

So... I’m concerned about another unexplained prolonged absence.

17 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Cavallini is a important member of the CMNT going forward. The Siz must be aware of that. He has one striker playing regularly in a solid league and that is Cav.  I hope the move works out for Larin but as of now I would want Lucas as my striker if I was only playing one up front. 

Dont forget about AJH.  He has got to be coming back from injury in the next couple weeks.  

On 2018-03-16 at 11:06 AM, Kent said:

"Herdman said, after discussions with their clubs, he opted to leave Vancouver Whitecaps teenage midfielder Alphonso Davies and Cardiff City winger Junior Hoilett with their teams. Both will feature in the future, he stressed." That's from Neil Davidson's article linked below.

https://www.tsn.ca/herdman-announces-first-roster-as-men-s-soccer-coach-1.1024618

Cheers!

44 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

AJH, 9 games 3 goals for CMNT.  And before someone jumps on me his hold up play is excellent.  

Good stat. I still think Larin and Cav are ahead but AJH definitely deserves to be right in the mix and get some time on the pitch. I seem to recall him combining particularly well with Davies, unlike Cav who pretty much did the opposite.

9 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Good stat. I still think Larin and Cav are ahead but AJH definitely deserves to be right in the mix and get some time on the pitch. I seem to recall him combining particularly well with Davies, unlike Cav who pretty much did the opposite.

They probably are ahead skill-wise but AJH just gets the job done and like Ali G, he may be our man going forward.  Remember Ali G started over guys like Friend and Occean who were playing and scoring at higher levels.

Like Ali G, AJH has a confidence about him and is probably our best poacher.. thinking to Gerba vs. Mexico in 2008 and AJH vs. Curacao last year.  It's rare to have our strikers just take chances like that, let alone score.

Edited by Keegan

24 minutes ago, Keegan said:

They probably are ahead skill-wise but AJH just gets the job done and like Ali G, he may be our man going forward.  Remember Ali G started over guys like Friend and Occean who were playing and scoring at higher levels.

Like Ali G, AJH has a confidence about him and is probably our best poacher.. thinking to Gerba vs. Mexico in 2008 and AJH vs. Curacao last year.  It's rare to have our strikers just take chances like that, let alone score.

Yes he Ali G did start over guys playing higher leagues , but how many Hex did will qualify for or how many World Cups did we qualify for by having a guy playing in a lower league starting over guys playing in higher leagues ? So yes let’s just do it all again because it has been working really good up to now, let’s leave a guy like Cavallini out of the lineup or even a Larin no problem.

31 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Like Ali G, AJH has a confidence about him and is probably our best poacher.. thinking to Gerba vs. Mexico in 2008 and AJH vs. Curacao last year.  

AJH has a pretty small sample size though.  Will have to have another good year in MLS to stay on the radar.  But  he does have an air of confidence about him and doesn't seem to need  a lot of the ball to score, which is ideal for our playing style.  I also think he is more skilled than Ali G ever was.

Then again, Larin seemed to have that same swagger with Orlando.  I wonder if a couple big goals with CMNT are all he needs.  And some regular PT somewhere obviously.

Gerba had his moments but I can't help thinking how much better he could have been.  Never stayed in shape, never seemed able to keep his spot at higher levels.  With a better attitude and an ability to stay away from AYCE buffets what might he have achieved?  I hope the days when we have to depend on a guy like that are over.

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

Oh that Gerba goal against Mexico brings back fond memories! Here it is again, for the benefit of all those who don't go to "meaningless" matches!! :D

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dhu6T0u9PEDo&ved=0ahUKEwi46OnQ0fbZAhXP5J8KHT56B64QwqsBCCkwAw&usg=AOvVaw2gJZYEi__vioandxyoLpPE

Edited by dsqpr

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I still don’t get how that was a free kick against de Jong.. thankfully the game meant nothing to us but it was a break for mexico who were in trouble.

That was a terrible call. Thankfully CONCACAF reffing has been slowly getting better over the years.