Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Cav was #1 on a list of five Liga MX players who should be summer MLS transfer targets in a Greg Seltzer article on mlssoccer.com. He specifically mentioned Montreal as a good fit considering that they have an open DP slot and the possibility of a relationship with Taider and Piatti, similar to Seba-Jozy-Michael here in Toronto. What do all of you think about this suggestion? Personally, I would much rather have him stay in Liga MX and maybe make the rumored move to Pumas. But then again, playing in Canada/US could put more pressure on him to suit up for CMNT more often. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Cav was #1 on a list of five Liga MX players who should be summer MLS transfer targets in a Greg Seltzer article on mlssoccer.com. He specifically mentioned Montreal as a good fit considering that they have an open DP slot and the possibility of a relationship with Taider and Piatti, similar to Seba-Jozy-Michael here in Toronto. What do all of you think about this suggestion? Personally, I would much rather have him stay in Liga MX and maybe make the rumored move to Pumas. But then again, playing in Canada/US could put more pressure on him to suit up for CMNT more often. Thoughts?

Very interesting! Would love to see him suit up with the Impact, but I share your mixed feelings about the move. A move to Pumas sounds wise in terms of his development, at least on the surface.

23 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

It's purely speculative on the authors part so don't attach much value to it.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't see him going to Montreal, although he would be exactly what they need up front.

I would personally like to see the Pumas move happen.

I don't think he is what we need up front, I am absolutely convinced that AJH can be our go to striker. I watch AJH all the time and his movement and what he is doing off the ball is excellent. The problem is he is playing on a terrible team that often has only 30% possession in games and does not give him any service. Cavallini and any other striker will have the same problem. If we fix the other problem positions in (which is very unlikely to happen with the current management/ownership) then we will be fine at striker with AJH.

I would also like to see him at Pumas.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I don't think he is what we need up front, I am absolutely convinced that AJH can be our go to striker. I watch AJH all the time and his movement and what he is doing off the ball is excellent. The problem is he is playing on a terrible team that often has only 30% possession in games and does not give him any service. Cavallini and any other striker will have the same problem. If we fix the other problem positions in (which is very unlikely to happen with the current management/ownership) then we will be fine at striker with AJH.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I'd do think Cavallini would offer some different qualities than AJH, like for holding the ball or in the airs. But yeah, the service, like you said. I wouldnt mind him coming to Mtl, but I'd rather see him in a better team like Pumas if it's to replace their star, Nico Castillo.

I follow both leagues, and overall they're pretty equal now, imo. In the last 5 years, MLS' growth has been exponential and Liga MX has been going downhill. And now to make matters worst, they're eliminating relegation while having many teams owned by the same interests, its not looking good. I'd probably rather MLS because I'd get to go see him play.

15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I like AJH and he does make good runs and we both know his finishing is good too.

However, I think Cavillini, with his ability to hold the ball up, would perhaps bring Piatti into the play more, no? 

I think they'd make a good one-two combo upfront, but that would require a formation change and besides, I don't think a move for Cavallini would happen.

40 minutes ago, jordan said:

So that is not a transfer to Pumas, it is them exercising their option after the loan and buying him outright. It seems they want to keep the core that helped them this year instead of selling (in Cavallini's case, it would mean exercise option and sell), so that he will then continue at Puebla this upcoming year in spite of them having received offers for him.

9 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Probably a good move. It is a very good level and he's shown strong chemistry with the team. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The other thing is, the leap between Puebla and Pumas is not that great, it is only slight. I suppose the latter is stronger financially, but you are not talking about a significant leap like the one he did from Uruguay to Mexico. At this stage in his career, he needs to make his next move a big one (like to a European team playing Europa league).

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The other thing is, the leap between Puebla and Pumas is not that great, it is only slight. I suppose the latter is stronger financially, but you are not talking about a significant leap like the one he did from Uruguay to Mexico. At this stage in his career, he needs to make his next move a big one (like to a European team playing Europa league).

Yes, but there's a significant difference in the internationality of both clubs. I mean they're absolutely incomparable when it comes to transfers to/from Europe. If Cavallini would of taken the place of Nico Castillo at Pumas, he would get a lot more attention in the league and abroad. You hardly hear of Cavallini in Mexico, even though he finished 3rd goalscorer of the clausura, just behind Nico Castillo whom many in Mexico consider the best striker in the league, because no one gives a damn about Puebla.

Edited by Shakmur

1 hour ago, Shakmur said:

Yes, but there's a significant difference in the internationality of both clubs. I mean they're absolutely incomparable when it comes to transfers to/from Europe. If Cavallini would of taken the place of Nico Castillo at Pumas, he would get a lot more attention in the league and abroad. You hardly hear of Cavallini in Mexico, even though he finished 3rd goalscorer of the clausura, just behind Nico Castillo whom many in Mexico consider the best striker in the league, because no one gives a damn about Puebla.

You are probably right but I would hope clubs seeking value will look past the name. If he can do it at Puebla he can do it anywhere in Mexico.

6 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Interesting, did not know that, had no appreciation of which clubs have a higher profile in this regard. 

7 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Any word on where Castillo is going? Or might he stay at Pumas?

I’d prefer him just stay at a club where is performing well in Mexico compared to moving right away to a rival Mexican team