Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

7 minutes ago, jordan said:

Transfer is complete,  Penarol received around 500k USD 

I 

Good move...very good move

8 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

Interesting that transfermarkt has the transfer at £1.16m. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jumplist/transfers/spieler/221038/transfer_id/2115634

If it was a loan, maybe Transfermarkt builds the salary cost into the value, not sure. Or other costs, just as signing bonus, etc.

Though it could be financial "management". You don't say the full value to not have to pay tax on it. I am not trying to be prejudiced, but this sort of stuff is common, until maybe 10-15 years ago in Spain it happened habitually, only now are things tighter in terms of good financial practices. Though why would transfermarkt defy the official price?

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, apbsmith said:

I personally, only catch about 8-10 games a year when I go down to Florida for a month on the latino channels. In my opinion, the defending is actually much stronger in compared to MLS and the game is played at a much faster pace, with less "space" and time on the ball. However, my sample size is likely not as big as yours.

Willing to hear your take on the league as a whole.

I'd agree with your impressions of the league, except the defending part. But basically, the thing is I dont like comparing leagues very much, i always feel it falls into simplistic conclusions about the overall strenght. Like back to our defenders; you couldnt just transpose all the Liga MX defenders in MLS and expect them to perform the same, the style is different, strenghts are different.

I think it was in this topic where I mentionned how LigaMX had been going downhill in the last 10 years while MLS has been rising exponetially in quality. One thing I pointed out was the corruption issues plaguing the league to a point where it affects it's quality. For example, they're now eliminating relegation while at the same time having teams in the same division owned by the same interests (which goes against FIFA rules, btw).

But for me in this case, it all comes down to what I'd like Cavallini to get better at, put to the test, develop, etc.. It's great that he's a starter in a decent league and I agree with those who think it could help our concacaf competitions, but eventually I'd like him to go up against bigger and stronger defenders, in a less offensive set up, more consistently. You'll see more of that in MLS, or in SA, imo, or obviously in europe.

I think there are a number of things better in LIGA MX such as passing, technical skill, speed of the game but I would not say the defending is better. The defending is actually pretty poor in comparison to the offensive skills displayed in the league which makes it an exciting league to watch but not really one in which a complete style of game is displayed. It is overall a better league than MLS but the gap is closing. Still would prefer Cavallini to stay in the better league or transfer up so unless there is a good move upwards he should stay in Mexico.

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I think there are a number of things better in LIGA MX such as passing, technical skill, speed of the game but I would not say the defending is better. The defending is actually pretty poor in comparison to the offensive skills displayed in the league which makes it an exciting league to watch but not really one in which a complete style of game is displayed. It is overall a better league than MLS but the gap is closing. Still would prefer Cavallini to stay in the better league or transfer up so unless there is a good move upwards he should stay in Mexico.

Being he's a striker, wouldnt you like him to go against better defenders though? In Mexico they call him a bull, he's bigger and stronger than most players there, it gives him a clear advantage. Would he have the same success againts a hermetic style with bigger and stronger players on the pitch? We wont know as long as he's in LigaMX, imo.

I have to butt in here and say that Liga MX defending is better than MLS.  You don’t have to watch much CCL to figure that out.. watching TFC’s run it wasn’t even close.  Most MLS teams don’t prioritize defence with their budget and while they may have 1/2 good defenders they never have a complete backline (case in point Toronto - we have maybe 2 defenders that would play in Mexico).  You get a ton of average defenders coming here and “starring”.  MLS defending has improved without a doubt but also lags behind MX. 

Edited by Keegan

27 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I have to butt in here and say that Liga MX defending is better than MLS.  You don’t have to watch much CCL to figure that out.. watching TFC’s run it wasn’t even close.  Most MLS teams don’t prioritize defence with their budget and while they may have 1/2 good defenders they never have a complete backline (case in point Toronto - we have maybe 2 defenders that would play in Mexico).  You get a ton of average defenders coming here and “starring”.  MLS defending has improved without a doubt but also lags behind MX. 

Which team in Mexico has that complete backline you speak of? Personally, I'd probaly take SKC's defensive set up before any LigaMX team.

Btw, about the CCL samples... you know that even all the pundits in Mexico admit themselves that they have a real advantage over MLS because they're right in the middle of their season while MLS is starting? I'd be curious to see how Liga MX teams would fare if CCL elimination rounds were at the beginning of august.

Edited by Shakmur

48 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

Which team in Mexico has that complete backline you speak of? Personally, I'd probaly take SKC's defensive set up before any LigaMX team.

Btw, about the CCL samples... you know that even all the pundits in Mexico admit themselves that they have a real advantage over MLS because they're right in the middle of their season while MLS is starting? I'd be curious to see how Liga MX teams would fare if CCL elimination rounds were at the beginning of august.

Tigres for one.. no MLS backline is close.

The fact is that any Liga MX regular could walk onto an MLS roster but not every MLS regular could walk onto a liga MX roster.  Just look at the dozens of names that transfer between leagues for evidence of that.

Edited by Keegan

Just a reminder that 538 publishes club power rankings based on estimated club player transfer value and their ELO/xG based rankings. Correctly identified TFC as one of the best teams in CONCACAF before their big run in CCL this year (they've since fallen a ton due to league form) and which is way better than any half-ass small sample size hot take about league quality:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/

Currently:

139. Monterey

157. Tigres

165. Toluca

166. Santos Laguna

178. Club America

185. Cruz Azul

213. Tijuana

220. Nexaca

227. NYRB

229. Atlanta

253. Pachuca

262. NYCFC

• 4 weeks later...

Rumours are that Rayados are interested in Cavallini.

This article published four days ago by Telemundo, speaks of how Puebla are about to activate their transfer option on Cavallini (from Peñarol) and could then potentially sell Cavallini to Monterrey.

He'd be battling with Funes Mori for the starting spot. Healthy competition. And I wouldnt mind the move to a higher profile club.

http://www.telemundodeportes.com/liga-mx/lucas-cavallini-del-puebla-en-la-mira-del-monterrey

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, Keegan said:

Tigres for one.. no MLS backline is close.

Really? With old Juninho still your man on the backline? Even after watching the CCL?

8 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

Rumours are that Rayados are interested in Cavallini.

This article published four days ago by Telemundo, speaks of how Puebla are about to activate their transfer option on Cavallini (from Peñarol) and could then potentially sell Cavallini to Monterrey.

He'd be battling with Funes Mori for the starting spot. Healthy competition. And I wouldnt mind the move to a higher profile club.

http://www.telemundodeportes.com/liga-mx/lucas-cavallini-del-puebla-en-la-mira-del-monterrey

Really? With old Juninho still your man on the backline? Even after watching the CCL?

Puebla bought him out last month 

Edited by jordan

11 minutes ago, jordan said:

Puebla bought him out two months ago 

"Puebla tiene una opción de compra por el nacido en Toronto, Canadá, la cual hará válida al Peñarol de Uruguay, club propietario de la carta de Cavallini, para a su vez buscar venderlo al equipo del Cerro de la Silla, en caso de presentar una buena oferta por parte de los regios."

Roughly: "Puebla hold an option on the Canadian, which they will validate with Peñarol, owner of Cavallini's rights, to then sell him if they receive a good offer from Monterrey."

Edited by Shakmur

4 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

"Puebla tiene una opción de compra por el nacido en Toronto, Canadá, la cual hará válida al Peñarol de Uruguay, club propietario de la carta de Cavallini, para a su vez buscar venderlo al equipo del Cerro de la Silla, en caso de presentar una buena oferta por parte de los regios."

Roughly: "Puebla hold an option on the Canadian, which they will validate with Peñarol, owner of Cavallini's rights, to then sell him if they receive a good offer from Monterrey."

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lucas-cavallini/profil/spieler/221038

38 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

No doubt, name me an mls team he wouldn’t start on.  That just further proves my point as he’s the weakest link there. 

As for Cavallini a move to Monterrey would be nice, if he plays. Otherwise it would be a really poor choice to move somewhere and kill your time when you’re just becoming prolific in a good league. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Hasn't scored yet since the Liga MX season has started. Puebla in general are looking kind of bleh.

4 Starts up top where he’s gone the full 90’ (360 minutes total) and 0 goals in the Apertura

It’s not super alarming, he scored 13 in 25 games which is a ratio of 0.52 

Of course he has pressure to perform but Puebla are in the lower end of teams in Liga MX and Cavallini needs help too