Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

We don't need a guy with zero international goals acting like a superstar.. I suspect Herdman will weed him out if he suspects he has a bad attitude.  I think if he comes in with the right attitude he would be a player that Herdman would rely heavily on.. I'm just thinking how Cavallini is sort of the men's version of Tancredi.  

Please @keegan, no woman's team comparison. It's a completely different baby.

The beauty that was Oz, was that he didn't come across as a sensitive coach. He recognized who was Canada's best players, and made them appear/commit. We have no time to go backwards, or having a coach with napoleons or Floro complex. 

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

We don't need a guy with zero international goals acting like a superstar.. I suspect Herdman will weed him out if he suspects he has a bad attitude.  I think if he comes in with the right attitude he would be a player that Herdman would rely heavily on.. I'm just thinking how Cavallini is sort of the men's version of Tancredi.  

Unfortunately as our past results have shown we don't have the luxury of an abundance of great talent that we can easily weed out talented players with suspected bad attitudes, as coach of a team that has accomplished diddly squat for so many years you have to also be able to try and bring all the best talent that is out there on board if we are to be able to get some bloody success ! Ya you have to do a selling job to get some players, because if you think we are going to get anywhere with just expecting everyone to just show up because they are picked it's not happening just look at Hoilet and the work that went in to getting him to commit. Or if we are just going to go with players that are always there at every calling and not bother working to get the fence sitters we will never get anywhere, and how have we been doing by the way with all these committed players that are always ready to play without questions? How many Hexes have we made lately or Gold Cups have we had success in? I know we all are proud of the players that play without asking questions and are always there, but in order to have actual success we need to convince the fence sitters too the perceived guys with the bad attitudes, a coach needs to be able to deal with that when you are coaching a national team like Canada. Unless if you would rather just play players that don't need any convincing and would rather take your chances with a national team of only these sort of players that's fine too, but how has that been going so far?  Or maybe you would rather fail with only players that don't need any convincing than maybe having success with a team of guys that needed some arm twisting to play, and that's fine too it's a free country.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:29 PM, soccer.shocker said:

Big assumption that Cavallini comes back on a regular basis tho. The Gold Cup appearance was a mix of OZ influence and to improve his club situation.  That was clear.  Of all the players / personalities / egos in the player pool, he would probably be one of the toughest for Herdman to convince to buy in, especially given the "Herdman is a women's coach" thing and OZ immediately starting Larin ahead of him in the Gold Cup quarter. Unless Lucas wants to hang more often with his boy Osorio, I suspect we may not see him in red and white for a while unless the games are really meaningful as in Hex or he's looking to move to a bigger club. Hope I'm wrong, like way wrong. 

I share your suspicions on his commitment going forward.  OZ made a trip to Uruguay to discuss playing for the CMNT prior to the Gold Cup.  Perhaps the linguistic bond between the two helped in the decision too.   I hope Lucas stays committed to the cause as I feel that we need his quality.  It would be very very poor on his part if he walked away.  Apart from his rapport with Osorio, how did he get along with the rest of the team?  

Edited by sinhaya

9 hours ago, sinhaya said:

I share your suspicions on his commitment going forward.  OZ made a trip to Uruguay to discuss playing for the CMNT prior to the Gold Cup.  Perhaps the linguistic bond between the two helped in the decision too.   I hope Lucas stays committed to the cause as I feel that we need his quality.  It would be very very poor on his part if he walked away.  Apart from his rapport with Osorio, how did he get along with the rest of the team?  

Great question! Not sure how he fit in.

22 hours ago, sinhaya said:

OZ also kicked Cavallini to the bench once  roster opened for the group stages and Larin joined the team. I don't see that leaving a good taste in Cav's mouth after that, so maybe Herdmans letters will re-re-rejuvenate him to play for the CMNT

On 2/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, Keegan said:

Yeesh, I don't like that comparison. Cavallini is a lot better (in a relative sense) than Tancredi. I'm dubious of Herdman's ability but not anti-Herdman, and I thought his reliance on Tancredi was one of his poorer moves (notwithstanding her great ability at crocking opposition defenders).

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

If you are not prepared to fight for your place in the team then you do not belong in the squad. Competition for places makes everybody better.

Just a general observation, I am absolutely not implying that Cav is not willing to fight for his place. On the contrary, now that he is in the picture I expect that he will.

I think the point is that Cavallini was playing well and it was Larin that was gifted the start.  The optics of it certainly made it look like Larin didn't have to compete for a spot.

25 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I think the point is that Cavallini was playing well and it was Larin that was gifted the start.  The optics of it certainly made it look like Larin didn't have to compete for a spot.

I wanted Cavallini to start that game, but I can understand why Larin was gifted the start. He competed for that spot and won it while Cavallini spent most of his time in Uruguay, away from the National team.

22 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I don't think it is fair to say that Larin was "gifted" the start. He committed to the team when Cav did not, had played many more matches for the team than Cav, and had scored goals for the team, which Cav had not. Admittedly Cav had played well in the prior GC matches but Larin had done more than enough to earn a start in any match.

FYI, I thought Cav should have started too. But the eventual selection of Larin was no "gift".

Sure, Larin worked for his spot in the past, but he was not part of the GC camp.  Cav won the spot in camp, and through his play in that tournament.  Larin didn't and his spot was gifted to him.  My point is that IF (because it is all just speculation) Cav was upset by this, I think it would be deserved.  Hopefully in the future we'll see them both working hard for the striker spot and that the competition makes them both better.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

When you use the word "gifted" you make it sound as though Larin did not earn his place in the team. He earned it.

In any case, it is not about individuals, it is about the team. The coach picks the team he thinks is most likely to win. Players who are not in the starting line up must respect that and accept it, as I'm sure both Larin and Cav do.

Larin did not earn his spot in the starting xi in that game. He has always been mediocre for Canada and he wrongfully walked into the starting xi after Cavallini was having a good gold cup so far

Edited by Guest

You could make a very good argument.... if not a fact.  That his Gold Cup performance led to his loan to Liga MX, maybe OZ a bit also, his agent etc. etc.  However, I am certain that most Liga MX scouts were in fact watching that Gold Cup, and recognized his talent, tenacity, passion and high ceiling he has.

I am sure Lucas recognizes and realizes what strong performances on the international stage can do for your career.  I have no reason to doubt he will not remain loyal to putting on the shirt, since he fully recommit when we saw him in the Ghana friendly. 

I know it can be a touchy subject, and maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but can we just drop the topic of his commitment level, at least until he shows us otherwise? :)

Anyways, I hope he keeps baggin goals! It's freakin awesome to watch a Canadian bag goals in Liga MX