Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

If we don’t call up Cavallini for this when the Mexican league is down for the break it would be an idiotic decision. I’m tired of the “let the player settle down” approach. Our team chemistry is God awful because we always want to let our best players “develop” their club careers by staying back. 

19 minutes ago, canta15 said:

If we don’t call up Cavallini for this when the Mexican league is down for the break it would be an idiotic decision. I’m tired of the “let the player settle down” approach. Our team chemistry is God awful because we always want to let our best players “develop” their club careers by staying back. 

Baring in mind he does have a brand new baby too. But I agree and hope he is called and accepts. This is the first camp with a new head coach. You would hope everyone that will make a difference would be there.

Just thinking about this tonight.  And apologies if I am getting some things wrong because I am just looking things up on line.  Not a lot of real knowledge re the Mexican league.

Last year Puebla finished last in Liga MX.  This year, they are in 5th place, on the back of 9 goals by Cav.  That is pretty damn impressive.  And in terms of league scoring, he is right up there. In a league that is pretty much universally considered to be superior to MLS.  

For a guy that is 24 years old, that is pretty exciting - for him and for us.  Yeah, it is cool that Larin moved to Besiktas and I really hope he finds a really good groove with them. But right now we have a guy that is lighting up Liga MX.  That is really encouraging.  

40 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just thinking about this tonight.  And apologies if I am getting some things wrong because I am just looking things up on line.  Not a lot of real knowledge re the Mexican league.

Last year Puebla finished last in Liga MX.  This year, they are in 5th place, on the back of 9 goals by Cav.  That is pretty damn impressive.  And in terms of league scoring, he is right up there. In a league that is pretty much universally considered to be superior to MLS.  

For a guy that is 24 years old, that is pretty exciting - for him and for us.  Yeah, it is cool that Larin moved to Besiktas and I really hope he finds a really good groove with them. But right now we have a guy that is lighting up Liga MX.  That is really encouraging.  

Fantastic!!!.... When was the last time (if ever) when one of our guys was lighting it up in particular league of above average quality ???? ... 

38 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I totally agree. However, the most important thing is depth. Strikers go through more ups and downs than any other position. The best teams have multiple strikers that can play at a high level so if one of them is in a slump, the other can take his place. Canada is finally starting to get that in the attacking positions: Cavallini, Larin, AJH. All three of these guys will be around for a while. We even have some veterans that can pull their weight like Ricketts.  The best part about it, is we have even more coming up like Millar playing for Liverpool, or even perhaps Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I totally agree. However, the most important thing is depth. Strikers go through more ups and downs than any other position. The best teams have multiple strikers that can play at a high level so if one of them is in a slump, the other can take his place. Canada is finally starting to get that in the attacking positions: Cavallini, Larin, AJH. All three of these guys will be around for a while. We even have some veterans that can pull their weight like Ricketts.  The best part about it, is we have even more coming up like Millar playing for Liverpool, or even perhaps Hamilton.

Exactly! I agree 1000 % @BenFisk'sBiggestFan about us finally getting that much-needed depth in the attacking positions, let alone strikers of very fair quality and great conditions to say the least.... As for Ricketts, he has settled down and gotten quite better ever since he came to TFC and was assigned that Super-sub role... I gotta admit he didn't disappoint for most of the time, heck even as a starter he did fairly well whenever one of Jozy or Gio was unavailable.. But before TFC, I honestly thought he was a poor finisher, very poor in fact... I think he used to go too crazy once he had the touch on the ball and would either flip it too high or shoot it to soft, generally resulting in easy saves by goalies... But I'm glad he has improved his finishing touch and develop his position aspect when looking to be in a scoring position... His pace and speed have always been there and still are, no doubt... You are right about some of the guys coming up in the youth ranks that have the potential of being some great finishers once they move to the professional game.. They have already demonstrated it at the youth level (certainly Millar and to an extent Hamilton when with TFC II)... You can also add Mo Baboulli as a solid finisher and in terms of players from the next generation, I have heard a lot about Jonathan David having those qualities (being a consistent goal scorer and a good finisher with a good holdup play)... The only time I saw him, he put away 2 goals in good fashion.. I hope Larin starts playing again soon and wears off that layoff, we need it... And I hope now being in a UEFA league and with some very solid-quality footballers around including in the ST position he can elevate his game to the next level like in his rookie season and be a consistent scorer for club and most importantly country (as he is yet to demonstrate it) and improves in certain aspects of his game (his finishing primarily and little bit his hold-up)  

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

We will find a way to play him that will virtually neutralize his scoring ability.

Unless Herdman can break the tradition!

15 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

The little one looks quite new.  

https://twitter.com/LCavalliniOfi/status/974360359044706305

But the baby is already over a month old. He's already a left footed attacking mid. This is not the reason why Cavallini is not with us in the call-up, sorry to say.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Dont get Canta worked up.  Cavallini wants to spend time with the baby and lets just leave it at that.  

Except we have no evidence to think that and John never even mentioned his absence.

It would have been so easy to say he's out for family reasons, but not saying anything leaves us to speculate.

It is perfectly logical to assume his situation is not straightforward - because if it were we'd have presumably gotten a straight forward explination from Herdman.

Edited by Obinna

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Except we have no evidence to think that and John never even mentioned his absence.

It would have been so easy to say he's out for family reasons, but not saying anything leaves us to speculate.

It is perfectly logical to assume his situation is not straightforward - because if it were we'd have presumably gotten a straight forward explination from Herdman.

I am pretty sure Bigfoot exist too... I mean, there is no evidence that they don’t. 

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes, but did Herdman explain why none of the Caps were called up? I mean, explicitly?  I've the impression that we've filled in the blanks here, not Herdman.

16 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Yes, but did Herdman explain why none of the Caps were called up? I mean, explicitly?  I've the impression that we've filled in the blanks here, not Herdman.

"Herdman said, after discussions with their clubs, he opted to leave Vancouver Whitecaps teenage midfielder Alphonso Davies and Cardiff City winger Junior Hoilett with their teams. Both will feature in the future, he stressed." That's from Neil Davidson's article linked below.

https://www.tsn.ca/herdman-announces-first-roster-as-men-s-soccer-coach-1.1024618

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

thank you 

Look, probably Cavallini will be back, but the fact he wasn't addressed concerns me.

He ought to be a key player moving forward, and thus I expect an explanation about his absence, like I would for any key player.

But maybe he will not be a key player, perhaps that is it. I don't know, I am left to speculate like the rest of you.

I would be happy to be convinced he's in our "plans moving forward", but Herdman never mentioned him in his address of missing players who are in our "plan moving forward".

And John seems like a very detailed, calculated and intentional guy, so i doubt he was overlooked. Nor do I believe he is skipping camp because of his child, because that'd be fair enough and mentioned I would think.

I'm not saying he's done or turned off from the program or anything like that, but I honestly don't know what to think - which is why I am concerned.

We did have a major coaching change and he's been in and out of the team over the years (on his own accord)...so you never know.

The theory I am hanging my hat on right now is that no players from Latin America were called (for whatever reason). There are two other players (Juan Cordova and Marco Bustos) who arguably could have been selected and were not...

Edited by Obinna