Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

55 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Remember when MAK was an MLS all star and being talked about as one of the best CM in MLS in his first 2/3 yrs at LAFC? He was constantly progressing the ball with line splitting passes to Vela et al.  He doesn't look like the same player. Perhaps it's age although he's not old,  so I do wonder why he has lost that ability to progress the ball with the accuracy he had during the early yrs at LAFC.

My theory is that he's had a lot of injuries in his relatively short career and therefore doesn't have the legs he once had.

As @RS noted, he still gets around the field and has (I think) good tackling and interception numbers, but when you get fatigured your passing suffers. Not so much your sideways and backward passing, but your forward line splitting passing. Some of those can be akin to threading the eye of the needle, so you really need to put all your focus into them, and when you're tired on the field your concentration suffers. 

I'm pretty convinced that on a team with better support and spirit all around, he'd look better. Pretty well the entire squad looks like they ball watch, arrive late, get trapped, are being short-circuited. 

Then you could really gauge whether the neurological problems he had last year have caused some permanent damage or maybe if he still needs treatment and has margin to revive his playing form.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm pretty convinced that on a team with better support and spirit all around, he'd look better. Pretty well the entire squad looks like they ball watch, arrive late, get trapped, are being short-circuited. 

Then you could really gauge whether the neurological problems he had last year have caused some permanent damage or maybe if he still needs treatment and has margin to revive his playing form.

I'd buy that. Even with Canada he didn't look nearly as bad in the NL semi and final versus the Gold Cup, just weeks apart. The difference? The players he was surrounded by. He's a glue player so if the pieces around him are weaker his quality doesn't stand out.

The interesting thing is that with his club his best individual seasons have came when the club has struggled, although I think that's moreso to do with him having to be more than a glue guy due to guys being injured or out. I think in 2018 it was he scored like 17 goals in all competitions, but Altidore and Giovinco missed significant time and TFC missed the playoffs. It was a similar story last year - the club hadn't secured their Italian DPs in the first half of the season, so he had to step up and be the guy. He finished the season with 9 MLS goals in 23 games. 

That is what I always wonder when people think he might need a break from the Nats to recharge and reset.  It is entirely possible that time with the Nats IS the opportunity to reset.  UI think Richie did that a while back before the NF move - TFC was (surprise!) playing like shit and he wasn't having the best time of it.  But when he came into the Nat camps, he looked like the Richie we all love - aggressive, fast, crazy-eyed, etc.  Maybe the same thing can happen for Oso, where the time with Canada gives him the clean slate to "right the ship".  

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is what I always wonder when people think he might need a break from the Nats to recharge and reset.  It is entirely possible that time with the Nats IS the opportunity to reset.  UI think Richie did that a while back before the NF move - TFC was (surprise!) playing like shit and he wasn't having the best time of it.  But when he came into the Nat camps, he looked like the Richie we all love - aggressive, fast, crazy-eyed, etc.  Maybe the same thing can happen for Oso, where the time with Canada gives him the clean slate to "right the ship".  

Along with him going up a rung in terms of captaincy--in fact I prefer an outfield captain and he'd be it. 

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

Hmmm not the case if we watched the gold cup.

You could be right but he was obviously fatigued and that wasn't his normal experience playing for Canada. Having all his mates and a high quality team is alot different to being surrounded by a "C" team.  

Its tough to extrapolate too much from an experimental tournament.  

I'm not defending his play but if we are wondering if playing for Canada will "right the ship" then my opinion is the jury is still out on that question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like the Montreal guys (and any other possible squad candidates from non-playoff MLS sides), he's going to be away from competitive football for a considerable stretch of time prior to the next International window, so considering his form, it poses another question for the interim manager to consider with his starters. 

• 3 months later...

Completely wrong decision. Sean Johnson was the correct choice. Osorio has no leadership abilities. He’s either bitching at other players mistakes while making even worse ones. Not a professional either. Constantly misses plenty of time for TFC while always miraculously ready to play for Canada. At the end of the day, Herdman made the wrong decision. Let’s see if Herdman will show the same energy given to MAK and hold Osorio accountable for his performances/professionalism.

Edited by anthony7

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

They should be trading Sean Johnson to free up badly-needed cap space in order to address several roster holes and running with Gavran and/or a traded-for keeper. You can't make someone captain that should be traded asap.

Hmmm, I see what you're saying, yet at the same time weakening one of the few solid spots on your roster to move the money elsewhere isn't really improving the overall team.  I mean if they had an excellent proven backup, ok, but it isn't really the case.

1 hour ago, anthony7 said:

Completely wrong decision. Sean Johnson was the correct choice. Osorio has no leadership abilities. He’s either bitching at other players mistakes while making even worse ones. Not a professional either. Constantly misses plenty of time for TFC while always miraculously ready to play for Canada. At the end of the day, Herdman made the wrong decision. Let’s see if Herdman will show the same energy given to MAK and hold Osorio accountable for his performances/professionalism.

That's a bit much.  I can understand questioning giving him the band after a pretty bad year of football.  However he seems well liked by his team and also shows up for the most important big games for club and country.  It's hard to find someone that doesn't love or at least respect the man and what he's accomplished.  I just hope he's in better shape mentally and physically than what we've seen since the injury.  He looked really bad defensively last year, it was the abandoned defensive runs that stood out for me, that is not a good look for a captain.  I hope and want to believe he'll raise his level and reach expectations.