Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

11 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

There has been a couple of times his defenders cleared away balls for corners when they didnt need to. I wonder if he is not being vocal enough on crosses into the box.

I recall hearing him shout “away” once that was rightly then cleared by a defender, but I wonder if he is hesitant on the “leave it” calls. 

22 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the Whitecaps do with Crepeau after this season.  First instinct is they should keep him, but maybe this is also the time they look to move him on (if there's a team in Europe that's interested) and promote Hasal up to the starting role.  

Hasal didn't do great in their last game.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Hasal didn't do great in their last game.

No, but he was playing behind a defense that consisted of a rookie defensive midfielder playing center back and a poor right back playing left back against one of the best teams in MLS.  I'm not going to penalize him too harshly for that game.  He's been strong in others.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

No, but he was playing behind a defense that consisted of a rookie defensive midfielder playing center back and a poor right back playing left back against one of the best teams in MLS.  I'm not going to penalize him too harshly for that game.  He's been strong in others.

I'm really on the fence with Hasal.  There are games he looks like a world-class shot-stopper, but there are other games where everything looks so shaky  - as in, shot-stopping, handling crosses, distribution, decision-making - literally everything.  Really hope it's just an age thing, but his consistency right now is suspect...

With my Whitecaps shirt on, I'd like Max to stay because I believe that, if he does, he'll be recognized as an elite MLS 'keeper as he enters his prime years. However, with my Canada scarf draped over my shoulders, I'd love to see Max move on to bigger and better while Hasal gets a few years as a regular starter in MLS to see how well he grows into it.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:05 AM, dyslexic nam said:

He may not have had a ton to do last night, but that (literal) last minute fingertip save rescued a point for us and stopped Jamaica from gathering some much needed momentum.  In the two away games he has let in a single goal in Azteca. That is pretty impressive.  

On this day after thanksgiving, I will say that I am thankful Max has stepped up to the point where Borjan going down doesn’t cause me huge concern about our keeping situation (other than reduced depth).  And I don’t mean that in any way to disrespect Milan, but Crepeau has shown he is starter-quality.  

I watched the game on a stream on my laptop sitting behind my desktop monitor while I was trying to get some actual work done. I didn't see who it was who egregiously gave the ball away while we were looking to break on them. That giveaway directly lead to the shot that Max had to save, and, thus, to the last-second corner that we had to defend. Who was that player?

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I watched the game on a stream on my laptop sitting behind my desktop monitor while I was trying to get some actual work done. I didn't see who it was who egregiously gave the ball away while we were looking to break on them. That giveaway directly lead to the shot that Max had to save, and, thus, to the last-second corner that we had to defend. Who was that player?

Pretty sure it was Shaffelburgh that you are referring to. I am sure he was nervous but that was terrible. As you’ve said, that giveaway led to two chances against us when it should have been us putting Jamaica under pressure. 

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Pretty sure it was Shaffelburgh that you are referring to. I am sure he was nervous but that was terrible. As you’ve said, that giveaway led to two chances against us when it should have been us putting Jamaica under pressure. 

I was discussing that in the Jamaica match thread.  On a dodgy pitch, to me that was  a piece of inexperience that almost cost us.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Had a pretty poor game for Vancouver when they needed him the most. That lonh shot from Zusi wasn't a good look for him.

I can see why ultimately Borjan is the #1. Just having a few inches can be massive, especially if you're caught wrong-footed.

No he didn't. 2 in close deflected goals that he had no chance and a great shot that maybe, maybe he could have had. Loss surely wasn't on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but he finished 5th in goalie of the year voting. Turner ran away with the award. There wasn't much difference in voting from 2-5.

I feel like he deserves a bit of recognition in player of the year voting. Tremendous at Vancouver and the Gold Cup. 2 huge games against Mexico, stepping in for Borjan whenever needed.

• 1 month later...