Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

13 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Is Crepeau in the conversation for best goalie in MLS? Honest question, I don't follow too closely. 

Nope!  Blake and Johnson are very good and to be fair St Clair faces more shots than crepeau. 

Kind of ironic St. Clair could be in conversation for best MLS GK and he's probably 3rd on our depth chart.

It's arguable that we've had better keepers (e.g. Forrest), but have we ever had depth at the GK position like we do presently? I don't think so.

I love Milan, but IMO there's not much separating our top three keepers, so he better bring his A game. Maybe Sinclair gets the start vs. Bahrain, Crepeau gets the second half. Then for Japan Milan gets the start and whoever JH thinks is his number two gets the second half.

Edited by A_Gagne

15 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Kind of ironic St. Clair could be in conversation for best MLS GK and he's probably 3rd on our depth chart.

It's arguable that we've had better keepers (e.g. Forrest), but have we ever had depth at the GK position like we do presently? I don't think so.

Hmmm, was there was a little overlap with Forrest and Onstad?? 

2 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

More than a little. They're only four months apart in age. I think they both made their international debut the same year. Paul Dolan was also only a year older. That was a pretty solid trio.

Yeah but Onstad was a late bloomer and Forrest retired early...I think they only were on CMNT for a few years together.  

18 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

I love Milan, but IMO there's not much separating our top three keepers, so he better bring his A game. 

That's the thing, they're all good but very different keepers.  As much as i love Borjan and all that he brings to CANMNT, I still have severe anxiety when he has the ball at his feet and his nonchalant style with strikers close by.

Crepeau seemed to have shortcomings with airballs into the box, but I haven't really watched him in a few years.

Thanks for all the LAFC insight, guys. 

Don't want to make this about Bale, but quick word..

Although I agree he's been overrated by some, he was still a guy who scored tons of goals for Spurs and Real Madrid. I am relatively familiar with all the LAFC players that've been mentioned, but it's still wild to me that Bale cannot get into the team more than he has. Someone mentioned his pace - did he lose it completely? He must have some of it left considering he's still effective for Wales (far as I know).

I remember when Giovinco lost his pace and it basically killed his career. That was around his final season at Toronto, when he laughably wanted 10M, which of course he got from Al Hilal. Then, in Saudi Arabia, he was transitioned to a no. 10 role, which was unsurprising given he had no pace left. Now he's last been seen with Sampdoria, who he could only muster 2 appearances for, and I am pretty sure he's not playing at all now, and he's younger than Michael Bradley who never relied on pace, thus he's been able to push on without it.

All of that is to question whether Bale, another player who relied on pace, has gone through (or is going through) a similar thing to Giovinco, where a lack of pace has seen him fall of drastically to the point he can't get off the bench for a MLS team. OR (which is what I suspect), some of that is true, but his bench status right now is mostly due to 1) he came into a team that was already hot, so he has to wait for his chance, and 2) he's come in cold after not playing, so the adjustment period to MLS is difficult. I am not some big Bale fan or anything, but I do hope he returns to LAFC and puts up some very solid numbers next year. 

That wasn't a quick word. I apologize. Carry on talking about Crepeau :)

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah but Onstad was a late bloomer and Forrest retired early...I think they only were on CMNT for a few years together. 

I think Onstad was in the picture long before Forrest's retirement but he was basically the third string keeper behind Forrest and Dolan so he didn't play much. It's a little like the overlap between St. Clair and Borjan. St. Clair is a regular call-up but he hasn't had much playing time by virtue of the fact that he's the #3 guy. St. Clair only has a single cap today where at the same age Onstad had over a dozen caps, most of which were before he was 21.

BTW, I'm not sure if I would classify Onstad as a late bloomer. He simply never got the opportunity to play at a higher level until he was in his mid-thirties. He was probably the best goalie in the A-League or whatever it was called back then for years.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Crepeau seemed to have shortcomings with airballs into the box, but I haven't really watched him in a few years.

With the Caps, he really commanded the box and cleanly claimed a lot of crosses.  He seems to have been far less certain in that area for the NT and LAFC, from what I have seen.  However, he's a 1000 times better in that department than Count Dracula Westberg, now released by TFC.

I really like DSC's size, presence in the box, shot stopping agility, and overall potential.  The one thing he needs to work on is the concentration/focus side, not dwell on set backs during the match, and stay in the moment.  That should come with age, maturity, and experience.  I really like him and he could supplant Crepeau much sooner than later.

On 10/31/2022 at 9:46 AM, ensco said:

Um, Arango has 34 goals in a season and a half in LAFC. 

Everything else, yeah, it's a debate.

I don't follow Gabon, I saw exactly one of their qualifiers,  I do know they are better than most people think.

Cifuentes, you are probably right. Just pointing out that him going 90 and Bale/Tello not getting in is not as crazy as it looks. He starts for a team that beat out Colombia, Chile etc

I’m not denying that fact. You called him the top scorer in MLS over the past “3 seasons”, which is not true. He’s clearly a top 5 goal scorer in MLS.

2 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I only really saw Dolan towards the end of his career. What I can remember were some really exceptional reflexes. I wonder how his career would have turned out if there were opportunities for him to play at a higher level.

Dolan started in the World Cup as a 20-year old and held the then best team in the world to a single goal. He could certainly play.

Onstad was the 86ers' starting 'keeper in their first season in the old CSL, and was pretty good as a 19-year old. During the first off-season, both Dolan and Sven Habermann, who were one and two for Canada at the time, returned home to Vancouver, so poor Pat had to head off to Winnipeg to get a game.

Forrest was still pretty unknown, since he'd jumped from Metro-Ford in Coquitlam straight to England as a 16-year old. But, he soon burst onto the national team and held the No 1 shirt for the rest of his career.

We were pretty good in the GK position for a long time until the latter Onstad years. We're finally getting back to some sort of position of relative strength now.

16 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Dolan started in the World Cup as a 20-year old and held the then best team in the world to a single goal. He could certainly play.

Onstad was the 86ers' starting 'keeper in their first season in the old CSL, and was pretty good as a 19-year old. During the first off-season, both Dolan and Sven Habermann, who were one and two for Canada at the time, returned home to Vancouver, so poor Pat had to head off to Winnipeg to get a game.

Forrest was still pretty unknown, since he'd jumped from Metro-Ford in Coquitlam straight to England as a 16-year old. But, he soon burst onto the national team and held the No 1 shirt for the rest of his career.

We were pretty good in the GK position for a long time until the latter Onstad years. We're finally getting back to some sort of position of relative strength now.

Dolan was probably my first football hero, I was a really little kid and my memory is hazy but he played in some of the games in 86' for the Brickmen (my dad was a bricklayer, no actual connection but that didn't matter to a person that age).  Got to meet him somehow.  I think it was before the World Cup.

Man City was there at some point as well and my nan made a big deal of it.

Edit: If anyone has better memories of that time, I would love to hear them. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 10/31/2022 at 1:50 PM, PiedPilko said:

image.png.6825aeeef09cee31a65a9ef61fbf66a7.png

🤔

He was fifth in goalkeeper of the year voting a year ago, and starts for the best team in MLS. He may not have had the season he would have liked individually this year, but he’s been comfortably In the upper echelon over the last few seasons. He was also completely solid when called upon in the the October window of WCQ.

54 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Dolan was probably my first football hero, I was a really little kid and my memory is hazy but he played in some of the games in 86' for the Brickmen (my dad was a bricklayer, no actual connection but that didn't matter to a person that age).  Got to meet him somehow.  I think it was before the World Cup.

Man City was there at some point as well and my nan made a big deal of it.

Edit: If anyone has better memories of that time, I would love to hear them. 

If my memory is correct, despite both being from the Lower Mainland, Dolan played the first year of CSL in Edmonton and Habermann played in Calgary. They both came back to Vancouver for the second year, forcing Onstad to move on. Habermann, Dolan, Forrest, Onstad....all came out of the Lower Mainland to play for Canada within a short space of time. That was back when BC actually produced quality players, though.