Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

56 minutes ago, Floortom said:

this makes me think there is a health situation in his family that is better dealt with in LA.

It sounds like it is more than money but a personal situation could still be money. Maybe Crepeau and Whitecaps have had a conversation for a while and he was offered a salary plus the chance to start on a Canadian team but he wanted to pursue the bigger paycheck. That is personal too. Maybe he just didn't want any backlash for Vancouver fans who he still wanted respect from.

12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Surely there has to be more to it than a big contract offer

Why?   When someone is making a salary in the low hundreds of thousands (Google tells me Crepeau made $277k USD last year) an extra $100k (or a lot more than that) represents a very real bump in quality of life.   Not saying the other things being discussed didn’t play a factor, but I wouldn’t discount the significant attraction of padding the bank account a bit.  For a pro at this level, maximizing income during the prime earning years is pretty important.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

I think it is a good thing any time a Canadian player moves from a Canadian team to a US team.  This means that other teams beyond our border are seeing value in Canadian players and it opens a spot/opportunity on the Canadian team for another Canadian to take that spot.

As long as the player is moving from starter on Canadian team to starter on American team, this is great.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Going to a team with big aspirations but undermined by suspect goalkeeping, with a significant pay packet to boot, his performances will be under more close scrutiny there.  

That's how you achieve elite  status. Take on the challenge and push to the next level. Pressure is not always a bad thing. It can be a motivator if handled the right way and methinks Maxime is up to the task based on his performances for Canada. 

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

That's how you achieve elite  status. Take on the challenge and push to the next level. Pressure is not always a bad thing. It can be a motivator if handled the right way and methinks Maxime is up to the task based on his performances for Canada. 

Totally agree.  This is the next level of his development.  This is an excellent challenge for him.

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Why?   When someone is making a salary in the low hundreds of thousands (Google tells me Crepeau made $277k USD last year) an extra $100k (or a lot more than that) represents a very real bump in quality of life.   Not saying the other things being discussed didn’t play a factor, but I wouldn’t discount the significant attraction of padding the bank account a bit.  For a pro at this level, maximizing income during the prime earning years is pretty important.   

I have a very special personal situation as well.  Its called "I need more money!!"  My wife wants new furniture, she wants to redo the bathroom, my kid wants to go to collage and I would like to retire someday.

tenor.gif?itemid=15703632

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I have a very special personal situation as well.  Its called "I need more money!!"  My wife wants new furniture, she wants to redo the bathroom, my kid wants to go to collage and I would like to retire someday.

tenor.gif?itemid=15703632

What a coincidence, my kid loves Dexter and he'd like to go to collage too. 

It's possible he just can't stand Sartini and does not want to play for him, while this signing coincides with MDS going to LA. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I've heard that the reasons are "gossipy" and likely to never come out. That description, plus the citing of "family reasons" leads me to believe it's a WAG issue. 

I sort of wondered if there was an affair involved (by either of them). Fits the bill for "personal issue" as well as "anywhere but back to Vancouver".

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I sort of wondered if there was an affair involved (by either of them). Fits the bill for "personal issue" as well as "anywhere but back to Vancouver".

I hope they are not continuing the Canucks (and certainly, other pro teams) tradition of teammates banging their goalies wives:  Jeff Brown-Kirk McLean, Ryan Kesler-Corey Schneider.

Back to the transaction:  Crepeau will be a big X factor for LAFC.