Marcel De Jong

mausi

We could use both as our wing backs while good on offence have been out of position too much defensively. In Harvey's case I think at 32 he is starting to slow down and can't get back as quick as he used to. In Smith's case he just is positionally unaware and inexperienced.

On July 4, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

This is the most unstable the 'caps have been since Robinson took over. The South/Central American experiments have largely proven to be busts and now Robinson has to re-tool outside his comfort zone (and without his favorite agent, being more cynical).

Have to say, the problem is signing this material from Central or S America, and then having a team with no possession playing counterattack, with no build-ups, and very little savvy to get results. Totally contrary to what they would be better at doing. More this year than last, suggesting that as long as they were playing their way, they were fine. As soon as they learnt Robbo's system (non system), they have dropped. 

I think Robbo does not know what to do with what he signs, if he indeed is involved in signing the S Americans (which I doubt).

The fact that Rivero has gone to a better club, IMO, and will probably start scoring immediately, may or may not demonstrate the point.

I think the problem lies more on defense. I'm not a big fan of the counter-attacking style, but when played well it can be beautiful ('90 Dynamo Kiev comes to mind). And you can't say they don't have the players for it, Manneh is perfect for a fast break, so is Mesquida, so is Morales with his long range. 

Looking at Portugal yesterday you jus get the feeling the opponent won't score. TFC has something similar this season, something stingy. Or FC Edmonton for that matter. 'Caps this season aren't stingy enough, if they are 1-0 up, you're still nervous about what will happen. A lot of that IMO has to do with the leave of Koffie. His physical presence on the midfield made things easier for Laba, and harder for the opponents to get through. 

As for Rivero, that is a mystery to me. He had such a strong start, played so well overall. But he just won't score anymore, so how come? Is he out of form, do the tactics not suit him (they did before) or is he maybe a but one-dimensional so when the defenders know his little trick it won't work anymore. Strangely enough he has never scored more than 10 goals in a season. 

Colo-Colo better than Whitecaps? Maybe, not even sure but surely he could have gone there before he came to Canada, so in no way is this a step up. I bet he had other clubs (leagues) in his mind to go to after MLS. 

20 hours ago, shamrock said:

A lot of that IMO has to do with the leave of Koffie. His physical presence on the midfield made things easier for Laba, and harder for the opponents to get through.  

I believe this has been a major loss.  I think these two complemented each other really well because Koffie is more of a big, rangy presence who allows Laba to pick his spots to press but more often play a deeper destroyer role.  When they have set up with duo holding mids this season, he's been alongside Morales several times so then Laba has to take on even more of the wide range gritty work.  Of the more dedicated d-mid types with whom he's been paired, Tiebert's been hampered mainly by injury but also inconsistency, while Jacobson doesn't have Koffie's engine or presence (he looked kind of lost in the d-mid role vs the Rapids, imo).  The Ghanaian has his faults but I felt he made the best partner for Laba.  The Argentine hasn't helped his cause because he seems to do a lot more running around looking for a tackle and doesn't seem to be reading the play as well.  Gashi drifting in from the left and getting behind him and in front of the back line for the build up play on the first Colorado goal may have simply been a communication break down but those are the kind of things you want your holding mids to be looking for and snuffing out.  And when the guys in front of the back line aren't as solid, the CBs may also get exposed more:  Waston's self discipline has certainly been an issue but he seems to be dealing with more through ball service to the strikers he's marking.  Parker's also getting exposed by good off the ball running but when the mids in front of him are stifling the through and diagonal, on-the-deck service to those forwards, it's makes his and his back line mates' jobs a whole lot easier.   I'm also not sure how defensive support play from the flank midfielders has been but perhaps those playing fullback have been left more exposed than they were last season.  So it seems a lot of factors have come into play contributing to this big increase in goal concession.

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Bit of a rough start for De Jong. Several misplayed passes. Looked very rusty trying to kill off the game. Him and Harvey playing together won't be boring, that's for sure.

Definitely wasn't a debut to write home about.  On the other hand, he was definitely more physical than Techera would have been down the stretch, and I imagine they were thinking about closing out games when they signed him and Edgar.  They certainly weren't thinking offensive output with those two.  I suppose job done then in some respects.  Looking forward to De Jong shaking off the rust and Edgar getting a couple of games in.  As bad as De Jong's debut was, Smith was horrible.  Can't sit him soon enough.

19 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Bit of a rough start for De Jong. Several misplayed passes. Looked very rusty trying to kill off the game. Him and Harvey playing together won't be boring, that's for sure.

Yup, but there are starters who have done dozens of games who misplayed constantly, constantly do, and they are still starters. The entire back line was into give-aways...just saying, at least he has pace and seems to be damn happy to be here. 

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yup, but there are starters who have done dozens of games who misplayed constantly, constantly do, and they are still starters. The entire back line was into give-aways...

This is my issue with the club not giving Sam or Froese more minutes this year; both have been mixed at best but neither have gotten more than a game or two here or there, while, as you mention, a lot of regulars have been poor much more regularly and given so many more chances to rebound.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

On the broadcast didnt the sideline guy say that FLORO was pissed at Dejong for going forward too much in the first half?  Dejong and Ledgerwood seemed to be 2 guys the most fired up and motivated to knock in the needed 4-5 goals.  

If someone finds the point in the game that he says this, or any video evidence to corroborate it, I'd be very appreciative. 

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

On the broadcast didnt the sideline guy say that FLORO was pissed at Dejong for going forward too much in the first half?  Dejong and Ledgerwood seemed to be 2 guys the most fired up and motivated to knock in the needed 4-5 goals.  

I saw this exchange between Floro and de Jong. Floro appeared to be yelling at de Jong to send the long ball up to the forwards instead of playing it around the back. De Jong yelled back and gestured with a dismissive and angry wave.

Floro appeared frustrated all game with the defenders not willing to send up long balls.

11 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

I saw this exchange between Floro and de Jong. Floro appeared to be yelling at de Jong to send the long ball up to the forwards instead of playing it around the back. De Jong yelled back and gestured with a dismissive and angry wave.

Floro appeared frustrated all game with the defenders not willing to send up long balls.

Well if Floro stays thats the end of De Jong. Get ready for Henry at LB