Marcel De Jong

mausi

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

You would take it even though you don't know how much the salary is and for how many years and what other offers he has? Great advice

Sure. Considering he flamed out of SKC, I don't imagine teams of a better caliber are lining up to offer him deals. De Jong isn't as good as you think he is. Dude has regressed a lot since Augsburg.

12 hours ago, shermanator said:

Well, the Fury are apparently announcing a new signing in the next couple days. Would de Jong be considered "new"? 

Never no with this team, go back to how they announced Grobbelar. We all thought we were getting an ex EPL player and we got a goalie coach.

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Never no with this team, go back to how they announced Grobbelar. We all thought we were getting an ex EPL player and we got a goalie coach.

Or like when they announced that they had signed a former Real Madrid and Liverpool player, and it turned out to be a former academy product who couldn't get minutes in League Two.

25 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Based on this article, doesn't sound like he's staying in Ottawa.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/fury-could-lose-canadian-starter-in-next-few-days

“I think he has quite a bit of interest, and (rightly) so from his performances with us,” Dalglish said. 

Sounds to me like he could have offers from other teams in North America. 

Interesting thought. I just took it as Dalglish acknowledging his performances with Ottawa, as if to say "you play well here and you can draw interest elsewhere".

I would be surprised if De Jong is drawing interest in NA and even more surprised if he actually signs another contract here. Let's face it, it's unlikely he leaves Ottawa for another NASL team and MLS is equally unlikely given his reputation and the salary cap. I think it's fair to say his showings at Kansas City were "mixed", as he did find his way on TOTW more than once, but he couldn't hold down a starting role and $200,000 a season is a lot to invest in an occasional starter, so I don't think it makes sense for him going to MLS again.

6 hours ago, SoccerCoach said:

It appears that De Jong may be heading to Holland...FC Groningen is expressing interest for him.

While I am surprised that a good Eresdivisie team would want Dejong, I can't imagine why you would make this up so this is good news 

I don't really get this move. Harvey has been solid for Vancouver and De Jong was middling in MLS with Sporting KC. There is a chance he is a much better fit with Vancouver, but LB doesn't seem to be a place where they really need help at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I don't really get this move. Harvey has been solid for Vancouver and De Jong was middling in MLS with Sporting KC. There is a chance he is a much better fit with Vancouver, but LB doesn't seem to be a place where they really need help at the moment.

De Jong didn't play left back for Ottawa. They could see him more as a left wing player.

7 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

De Jong didn't play left back for Ottawa. They could see him more as a left wing player.

Exactly, plus I think he can provide some healthy competition at LB. He didn't flourish at SKC but he wasn't a complete dud either. He made team of the week one round, scored a goal, was always in the mix for minutes at LB despite going up against an MLS-proven Seth Sinovic (who was on the USMNT radar for a brief period). Not exactly evidence that he can't be a starter in MLS.

Jordan Harvey has been good, obviously. However, he is not irreplaceable and like Vermes, Robinson might consider it wise to bring in a player like De Jong when you have the chance. He is a 45 time capped international and Canadian at that, so I see why there is an incentive for them to bring him in.

Don't think he is coming in to play LB in place of Harvey. He's an option there but also at Left Mid and Holding Mid. They could start him at Left Mid and free up Manneh to play more as a striker (now that Rivero is gone). He gives them quality depth at several positions - something they badly need especially if they are planning to be serious about the CONCACAF Champions League this time.

9 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

This is the most unstable the 'caps have been since Robinson took over. The South/Central American experiments have largely proven to be busts and now Robinson has to re-tool outside his comfort zone (and without his favorite agent, being more cynical).

No question the team has underachieved this season. Had big expectations to be a contender but look nothing like it. Playoff team at best. Defense has been very weak - mostly Waston's recklessness and inconsistency of Aird/Smith at RB. Midfield has been generally soft and uncreative. And the finishing has been appalling.  At this point, DeJong is upgrade anywhere he plays.