Marcel De Jong

mausi

Can't help but feel that he is heading back overseas.  He had a contract for 2019 and an option for 2020.  At 32, he still has a few years left.  Does not seem logical to walk away from a contract at this stage of the game unless he has equivalent options elsewhere.  Even if MDS indicated that he would have a limited role going forward, at 32 I would think he would stay and fight for his spot while still under contract.  I would be surprised if MDS told a versatile player like de Jong that he had no future with the Caps - especially as the team needs experienced players. I would not be surprised that he gets picked up for the remainder of the season at a lower-league Eredivisie side.  

Rumor is that he's joining Pacific FC, as per Duane Rollins (fwiw).

I can see it. Marcel seems very settled in the Lower Mainland - so Vancouver Island is probably a very easy transition.

He could probably make more overseas, but he's probably made decent money already in his career, especially when playing at Augsburg. So to go overseas and work for a little extra, versus being at home with his wife and kid - I can understand if he chose the latter.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Rumor is that he's joining Pacific FC, as per Duane Rollins (fwiw).

I can see it. Marcel seems very settled in the Lower Mainland - so Vancouver Island is probably a very easy transition.

He could probably make more overseas, but he's probably made decent money already in his career, especially when playing at Augsburg. So to go overseas and work for a little extra, versus being at home with his wife and kid - I can understand if he chose the latter.

If he signs with them that'll continue to put Pacific amongst the strongest squads on paper in the league. 

Edit: I just checked and last season he was on 160 thousand US, which is more than double what we'd expect from the top CPL salary. I don't see how Pacific could commit to multiple years even at 80 or a 100 CDN, it'd be risky. 

I personally don't think a footballer should wisely forego a quality salary for any reason whatsoever, make it while you can. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If he signs with them that'll continue to put Pacific amongst the strongest squads on paper in the league. 

Edit: I just checked and last season he was on 160 thousand US, which is more than double what we'd expect from the top CPL salary. I don't see how Pacific could commit to multiple years even at 80 or a 100 CDN, it'd be risky. 

I personally don't think a footballer should wisely forego a quality salary for any reason whatsoever, make it while you can. 

I agree, but there are many factors especially if you have a family and are close to retirement. What if Pacific offers him a coaching chance after retirement?

Consider a normal job. Say someone offered me a project management job in Netherlands for 3 years with a salary of 1.5x what i could make for a regular job where i live. 3 years is a short amount of time for my wife to quit her job and try to find a new one. Plus, if my wife is making a decent salary herself it could end up being less money overall. 3 years is also a long time to live in different countries if we were to live separately. Marcel also has kids which complicates things. 

I hope he just chooses what is best for himself and family. And we honestly don’t inow what that is.

18 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I agree, but there are many factors especially if you have a family and are close to retirement. What if Pacific offers him a coaching chance after retirement?

Consider a normal job. Say someone offered me a project management job in Netherlands for 3 years with a salary of 1.5x what i could make for a regular job where i live. 3 years is a short amount of time for my wife to quit her job and try to find a new one. Plus, if my wife is making a decent salary herself it could end up being less money overall. 3 years is also a long time to live in different countries if we were to live separately. Marcel also has kids which complicates things. 

I hope he just chooses what is best for himself and family. And we honestly don’t inow what that is.

He could also end up taking a pay cut to play in the CPL with the understanding that he will be a coach afterwards.  Then he gets fired as a coach when ownership decides to clean house and "move in a different direction" with their coaching staff.  Neither is without its risk.

Edited by AvroArrow

1 hour ago, AvroArrow said:

He could also end up taking a pay cut to play in the CPL with the understanding that he will be a coach afterwards.  Then he gets fired as a coach when ownership decides to clean house and "move in a different direction" with their coaching staff.  Neither is without its risk.

Depends on what is in the contract. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

vIf he signs with them that'll continue to put Pacific amongst the strongest squads on paper in the league. 

From the article on the Vancouver site " a portion of de Jong’s contract will remain on the club's 2019 Major League Soccer salary budget."    It Seems he will have a portion of his whitecaps salary plus a decent salary from PFC he could make close to what he made last year.

20 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

From the article on the Vancouver site " a portion of de Jong’s contract will remain on the club's 2019 Major League Soccer salary budget."    It Seems he will have a portion of his whitecaps salary plus a decent salary from PFC he could make close to what he made last year.

I could see him not wanting to give up any of his guaranteed salary, but on the Whitecaps side any relief on his salary would give them money to work with under the cap. So if Pacific FC were willing to pay $50K then that is an extra $50K Whitecaps have to work with. De Jong gets his money and he is able to play professional soccer on a team that wants to play him. I hope @BringBackTheBlizzard allows me to call it professional.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/02/04/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-and-defender-marcel-de-jong-mutually-agree-part-ways

The club and de Jong have mutually agreed to a contract termination - a portion of de Jong’s contract will remain on the club's 2019 Major League Soccer salary budget

The wording is pretty clear that the contract was terminated

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/02/04/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-and-defender-marcel-de-jong-mutually-agree-part-ways

The club and de Jong have mutually agreed to a contract termination - a portion of de Jong’s contract will remain on the club's 2019 Major League Soccer salary budget

The wording is pretty clear that the contract was terminated

It is not a loan then, there is no club to club agreement, fine. 

But as often happens in a loan, whoever signs him will pay the agreed upon salary, and another part of his salary will be paid by MLS. Not sure how that really works. 

I think it's probably pretty simple.

Presumably he agrees to take less than the full amount the Whitecaps are contractually obligated to pay him, and in exchange the Whitecaps free from his attachment to them, allowing him to sign with another team.

There's  no way he ends of with less money than he would have if he simply enforced the terms of his contract with the Caps.

2 hours ago, lenny said:

I think it's probably pretty simple.

Presumably he agrees to take less than the full amount the Whitecaps are contractually obligated to pay him, and in exchange the Whitecaps free from his attachment to them, allowing him to sign with another team.

There's  no way he ends of with less money than he would have if he simply enforced the terms of his contract with the Caps.

Not necessarily true. If it was clear that he wouldn't get to see much game time had he stuck out his 'Caps contract, he might have accepted less money in exchange for better playing prospects.

In sports, when a club has a contractual obligation to a player that it no longer has use for and which it's unable to trade or sell,  it's the player that holds the strong bargaining position, as any reduction in that players salary is a win for the club, while the player can sit at home and collect paychecks.

There's no reason for a player in that position to accept a net pay cut.  And at that age and stage of his career, with a family to support and on such a relatively low salary, it's hard to imagine him doing so.

• 4 weeks later...