Marcel De Jong

mausi

On 2016-03-05 at 2:45 PM, Blackdude said:

I'm just wondering people. Are you talking about Marcel de Jong at RB? I only see people talking about RB, so I'm guessing that it's true. de Jong will start at RB for Canada. 

It would be interesting to have MDJ at RB. The crosses would curve towards goal and maybe go in for a score.

13 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

I'd like to see MDJ at RW before I see him at RB. He'd be our slow version of Arjen Robben. 

Does he like to cut inside?

• 2 months later...

Speculation that De Jong will leave Ottawa in the summer.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/canadian-international-likely-moving-on-from-fury-fc-after-spring-season

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa is able to keep him for less than what he would make elsewhere. Seems him and his family are looking for a place to settle. In the last game he was given a lot of freedom in where he plays and he may like this. He could see Ottawa as a good spot to finish his career.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

How big a difference in salary are we talking?

Good question. I've often wondered how much more someone like Straith makes in Norway's second division, compared to the NASL. I can only assume that a longer season (more gate revenue) and presumably better sponsorship contracts (TV?) would make way for better salaries but I have no first hand knowledge on how much that would be (just pondering).

Edited by David C.

I think he was getting 180,000 per season at KC.  Probably getting less in Ottawa.  Looking at FC Augsburg salary now in bunda for a guide, he would have been in the 3-5000 euro a week, so maybe 200-500,000 US dollars.  He wont be going back to the Bunda, prob D-2 in germany, maybe another big D-2 or 3 (England/Germany or a smaller D-1 (Norway Sweden, J-league).  I dont think any of those would pay a guy like him more than the 180000 he was making in mls.   Gack, hard to find a nice spread sheet to compare all this.  We had some conversations about this previously, maybe do a search of the site.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Speculation that De Jong will leave Ottawa in the summer.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/canadian-international-likely-moving-on-from-fury-fc-after-spring-season

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa is able to keep him for less than what he would make elsewhere. Seems him and his family are looking for a place to settle. In the last game he was given a lot of freedom in where he plays and he may like this. He could see Ottawa as a good spot to finish his career.

MDJ is good enough to play in MLS. It's too bad that MLS teams always cheapen out on FBs and won't pay MDJ, esp since MDJ counts as an international player for MLS teams.

NASL is too low of a level for him. I hope MDJ catches on somewhere in 2 Bundesliga or Eredivisie. Even mid table Eredivisie wouldn't be so bad.

3 minutes ago, Yohan said:

MDJ is good enough to play in MLS. It's too bad that MLS teams always cheapen out on FBs and won't pay MDJ, esp since MDJ counts as an international player for MLS teams.

NASL is too low of a level for him. I hope MDJ catches on somewhere in 2 Bundesliga or Eredivisie. Even mid table Eredivisie wouldn't be so bad.

MDJ has been good enough to play everywhere he has gone, he just ended up in situations where the other LB on the team had other advantages like being younger or cheaper. Maybe he will like the fact that he is a leader in Ottawa and they are willing to play him in midfield and forward which he seems to enjoy.

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think he was getting 180,000 per season at KC.  Probably getting less in Ottawa.  Looking at FC Augsburg salary now in bunda for a guide, he would have been in the 3-5000 euro a week, so maybe 200-500,000 US dollars.  He wont be going back to the Bunda, prob D-2 in germany, maybe another big D-2 or 3 (England/Germany or a smaller D-1 (Norway Sweden, J-league).  I dont think any of those would pay a guy like him more than the 180000 he was making in mls.   Gack, hard to find a nice spread sheet to compare all this.  We had some conversations about this previously, maybe do a search of the site.

I assume you mean Spain?  

Oh JEEZ NO.  DeJong wouldn't be fit to carry the waterbottles in the Segunda.  I didn't even look up salaries there.  :rolleyes:

I am hoping Ottawa makes him a nice offer (150000) range and with local endorsements etc he'll be able to bank enough cash  to stay.  Having your family in a nice spot with the local team marketing you as a hometown hero?? That sounds nice to me.  

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Don't understand why one of the Canadian MLS teams wouldn't sign him?...It's not like they are stacked defensively....

Because de Jong wants a certain salary that Canadian MLS clubs can't pay for a unproven MLS starter. He was making more than  the Impact's two starting outside backs last year. He made $191K while Toia & Oyongo made $160K. I don't think that he would be a de facto starter for Montreal. I'm sure Grizzly wrote about it somewhere on this board about it. I don't see how TFC or Montreal would sign him at that salary.  

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Oh JEEZ NO.  DeJong wouldn't be fit to carry the waterbottles in the Segunda.  I didn't even look up salaries there.  :rolleyes:

I am hoping Ottawa makes him a nice offer (150000) range and with local endorsements etc he'll be able to bank enough cash  to stay.  Having your family in a nice spot with the local team marketing you as a hometown hero?? That sounds nice to me.  

I doubt Ottawa is paying anybody on their roster 150,000, including De Guzman.

Fredrikstad is probably the biggest club in the Norwegian Second Division and even then, they would draw about 3,500-4,000 a game.  Even at that, not sure they would pay Straith much more than a decent NASL salary (let's say $60,000) plus the cost of living in Norway is significantly higher.  

7 hours ago, David C. said:

Good question. I've often wondered how much more someone like Straith makes in Norway's second division, compared to the NASL. I can only assume that a longer season (more gate revenue) and presumably better sponsorship contracts (TV?) would make way for better salaries but I have no first hand knowledge on how much that would be (just pondering).

• 1 month later...