Marcel De Jong

mausi

I tore my Achilles ten years ago or so. Not being a pro athlete, I can say I recovered from the pain well, but muscules and strength were very hard: I still do not have a balanced set of calf muscles (I was a cross country runner).  I underestimated how much work is involved. 

I have heard of pro athletes coming back after ten months. It's a moot point regardless. He is gone for the season, feel so sorry for him,  for the guy, not for Pacific, as we'll sort things out.

7 hours ago, KW519 said:

I know Demarcus Cousins in the NBA tore his achilles and returned before a calendar year. Hopefully Marcel can have a similar recovery time and be good to go for pre season next year with PFC!

@Unnamed Trialist did you have the surgery? And how long before you felt 100%?

I didn't, because I had a tear and not a break--still, I think I made a mistake, though I feel fine and well on that foot, I am not sure taking the slow method was the best.

Any athlete has to operate 100%, I often wish I had just thinking about wanting to continue doing basic activity like running. But that may not be my real problem, I have a condition known as Haglund's syndrome, which affects both feet, with one of the consequences bursitis on the heel. So I had pain in the torn heel for years before, and now in the other.

I hope those in the Curva or the Southside appreciate the sacrifice involved for some of us standing and hopping in a supporters section for an entire game.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I didn't, because I had a tear and not a break--still, I think I made a mistake, though I feel fine and well on that foot, I am not sure taking the slow method was the best.

Any athlete has to operate 100%, I often wish I had just thinking about wanting to continue doing basic activity like running. But that may not be my real problem, I have a condition known as Haglund's syndrome, which affects both feet, with one of the consequences bursitis on the heel. So I had pain in the torn heel for years before, and now in the other.

I hope those in the Curva or the Southside appreciate the sacrifice involved for some of us standing and hopping in a supporters section for an entire game.

Sounds like surgery for an athlete is definitely the way to go based on your experices, and what i'm reading online. 

I'm not sure what Haglunds Syndrome is, but i've experienced bursitis around my ankle after spraining the other, and I feel your pain✊?. All the best with getting your feet match fit for 90 minutes of supporting!!

Edited by KW519

3 minutes ago, KW519 said:

I'm not sure what Haglunds Syndrome is, but i've experienced bursitis around my ankle after spraining the other, and I feel your pain✊?. All the best with getting your feet match fit for 90 minutes of supporting!!

This is what happened to me: on one leg because the other was injured, and ended up hurting the good one while hopping around to avoid the injured on. 

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Is it too late to get him in against the USA??

I doubt he would be fit enough, but in the medium term I wonder what this does to our LB situation. The reality is that he was our top choice up until the injury, he is still (presumably) a very capable player, and it isn’t like anyone has definitively stepped up in his absence.  

I am excited to see if De Jong can fight his way back into the NT picture. However, the CPL season is drawing to a close, which works against him for the November window.

I really hope De Jong can give us another year or two. He was good for the Whitecaps last year and great at the GC in 2017.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am excited to see if De Jong can fight his way back into the NT picture. However, the CPL season is drawing to a close, which works against him for the November window.

I really hope De Jong can give us another year or two. He was good for the Whitecaps last year and great at the GC in 2017.

Maybe he can join the November squad just to stay fit, even if his playing time is limited.

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If we are taking Henry this week for leadership and integration, you could certainly make the same argument for De Jong.

I don't think it's quiet the same. Or Edgar, Ledgerwood would be in camp,.

BTW De Jong is 33 in a few days guys. He'll be 36 come Qatar.... We need to progress forward with players we could use at the next WC. 

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

BTW De Jong is 33 in a few days guys. He'll be 36 come Qatar.... We need to progress forward with players we could use at the next WC. 

If he can contribute in this qualifying cycle and help get us to the hex and beyond, I would take that help.  2022 gives us three years to groom a replacement.  But the reality is that no one has outright claimed that spot and the games in the next few months are key.  If he is our best option there at any point, I would back playing him.   

On 10/10/2019 at 2:07 PM, Shway said:

I agree in principal, but against tough teams we cant be trying to game the system for Qatar.  Maybe we can cruise through some teams playing people out of position and experimenting with full backs, but its crunch time.  A win against the USA would be huuuge, luxurious, tremendous  and again,  just huggggeeee (picture the orange face and corn silk hair).