Marcel De Jong

mausi

quote:Originally posted by mausi

De Jong is the last monts the best player from Roda Jc

The offerd him a new tree years contract but Marcel wont sign.

He wants to go to a other club maby outside Holland

Are you insinuating he could become Jimmy B's replacement?

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I sure hope not. Wonder what league in Europe would fit his style and talent level?

Mabye he is hoping for a move to the Bundesliga? Seems like alot of players move there from Eredivise and De Jong is probably good enough to fight for a spot on a mid to lower table squad.

De Jong is the last monts the best player from Roda Jc

The offerd him a new tree years contract but Marcel wont sign.

He wants to go to a other club maby outside Holland

Mausi, what other Dutch clubs have expressed an interest in Marcel?

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

It's not that bad if you think about it. More of our guys playing at home could be beneficial.

I love what they are trying to do at TFC but prefer to see most of our guys getting better coaching, training, and competition than what's happening in Toronto.

I Know that ADO Den Haag,NAC,FC Groningen en fc Twente are interesting in De Jong.

I Know that this wednesday Roda play against PSV for the dutch cup,en there will be scouts from england,en Italie

He is playing this year ferry well,he is not gonna stay with Roda Jc

I Know that ADO Den Haag,NAC,FC Groningen en fc Twente are interesting in De Jong.

I Know that this wednesday Roda play against PSV for the dutch cup,en there will be scouts from england,en Italie

He is playing this year ferry well,he is not gonna stay with Roda Jc

I have been corresponding privately with Mausi who has asked me to post some of the info to further update you on Marcel's situation.

Marcel's time at Roda was the first step in professional football at a high level. However, the club has got too many issues which are not good for his future - no money for players, and a trainer who doesn’t get the potential out of the young players. At 23 he now has to look to move to a higher level, which means leaving for a new, well-functioning team. Roda did offer him a new 3 year contract but he didn’t sign and let them know that he is planning on leaving at the end of the season. They are not happy with him so for the time being they are reacting by sitting him on the bench - it's not a question of his play. Such is football.

I think we will all join in wishing Marcel the best possible resolution to this situation with a move to a better club in the Netherlands or abroad. In the meantime I look forward to seeing him continue to represent Canada.

Lowlander

quote:Originally posted by lowlander

I have been corresponding privately with Mausi who has asked me to post some of the info to further update you on Marcel's situation.

Marcel's time at Roda was the first step in professional football at a high level. However, the club has got too many issues which are not good for his future - no money for players, and a trainer who doesn’t get the potential out of the young players. At 23 he now has to look to move to a higher level, which means leaving for a new, well-functioning team. Roda did offer him a new 3 year contract but he didn’t sign and let them know that he is planning on leaving at the end of the season. They are not happy with him so for the time being they are reacting by sitting him on the bench - it's not a question of his play. Such is football.

I think we will all join in wishing Marcel the best possible resolution to this situation with a move to a better club in the Netherlands or abroad. In the meantime I look forward to seeing him continue to represent Canada.

Lowlander

why would he mention that he is leaving at the end of the season? he should have just stalled on his options this way he does not anger the management and can always return if there are no suitable offers

quote:Originally posted by Vigilante

why would he mention that he is leaving at the end of the season? he should have just stalled on his options this way he does not anger the management and can always return if there are no suitable offers

There's nothing wrong with that, take Mascherano at Liverpool as en example. He did the same thing refusing to sign a new contract with Liverpool but unlike De Jong, his playing time remains the same.

• 6 years later...

I think he's an MLS player  but he's a fullback he's right at replacement level starter or top backup level based on his play last year.  There's no way a team will hold an international spot for a backup player.

Its a good move for Ottawa though.  I expect he's going to be a real star for them and the added prestige of an international player on the team.  Along with JDG he's marketable.

Edited by baulderdash77

49 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Tbh honest this is a major step down for him. I am not confident starting an NASL in world cup qualification games.

I am. De guz and ledgerwood looked fine in wcq so far. Honduras made it to the world cup with half a team from their national league which isnt all that great. 

So ya. Nvm starting one nasl player. Strong possibility we start 3. 

De jong started for us in wcq when he was riding the pine in mls and B1. But now if he plays in NASL you arent confident? 

Rather have a player playing than riding pine. More confident in their abilities with the former

Edited by king1010

I think we need to realize that the level of all these leagues is pretty dynamic as are the players. I bet a few months ago nobody  would have thought that Hume who couldn't get a start in League Two in England and was playing in a fledgling league in India would  now be getting starts in second division Spain. I certainly did not. I thought he was done. Now I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up against Mexico. De Jong will probably use this to springboard somewhere else

Marcel de Jong is a fantastic winger and left back. He was in a very unfortunate situation at FC Augsburg. One season he was starting and in form and he broke his toe. Ended up missing the entire first half of the Bundesliga season. Another season, he had Oszolek in front of him. A player that was bought by HSV for a lot of money. Then he was promised to be a starter, since the LB was sold for a lot of money. They ended up buying Baba from Greuther Fuerth (2. Bundesliga), who was freakishly good. Yeah, the same Baba Chelsea shelled out 20 million pounds or something.

Can't really comment on his Kansas stint. Didn't really watch them all year. Maybe someone else can?

Anyway, he was under contract for two years with a additional benefits activating in second year at Kansas. They negotiated a release for many weeks, by that times the European transfer window had shut.

Would you rather see MDJ play for Ottawa Fury for the Spring season, or have him Unattached until he goes back to Europe? Hell, maybe he likes it and stays. Only 1-2 two more years until Canadian league.

28 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

Would you rather see MDJ play for Ottawa Fury for the Spring season, or have him Unattached until he goes back to Europe? Hell, maybe he likes it and stays. Only 1-2 two more years until Canadian league.

Well, if he leaves for Europe in the summer, I hope he plays for Ottawa until at least mid-August and goes at the end of the window.