Marcel De Jong

mausi

On 10/10/2019 at 8:45 AM, Obinna said:

I really hope De Jong can give us another year or two. He was good for the Whitecaps last year and great at the GC in 2017.

But he was poor in 2018, particularly defensively, and looked like he was on the decline.  He lost his place in the NT as a result.  I hope he has a comeback next year in CPL but the odds of his return to the NT look really long.

20 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

But he was poor in 2018, particularly defensively, and looked like he was on the decline.  He lost his place in the NT as a result.  I hope he has a comeback next year in CPL but the odds of his return to the NT look really long.

I can't agree. He played in 9 of the 13 national team matches before his injury, including the last one. He also played 22 games for the Whitecaps in 2018. We don't have a LB that's staked a real claim on the position since his injury.

55 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I can't agree. He played in 9 of the 13 national team matches before his injury, including the last one. He also played 22 games for the Whitecaps in 2018. We don't have a LB that's staked a real claim on the position since his injury.

The last half of his last season with the Caps he wasn't very good as he and Levis took turns losing the starting LB spot, especially in the second half of the season.  Also, at 33, he's coming back from a pretty serious injury.  It's not pre 2017 anymore.  That needs to be kept in perspective.

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The last half of his last season with the Caps he wasn't very good as he and Levis took turns losing the starting LB spot, especially in the second half of the season.  Also, at 33, he's coming back from a pretty serious injury.  It's not pre 2017 anymore.  That needs to be kept in perspective.

Does it matter? Who has claimed the spot in his absence? He's been our best LB for the last decade

• 1 year later...

great career..was great to see him as a bundesliga starter with augsburg and score one of the most beautiful goals in bundesliga..could have played a few more years..unfortunately got himself far from reality and probably disconnected recently with the comments he made on salaries and other in cpl..best wishes for his next steps

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

I gave his father a DVD recording of his National Team debut (friendly match against South Africa). And in return he sent me the match pennant.

Always felf a connection with him after that.

We had some really great players on that ill fated 2010 WCQ campaign. 

friggin Pat Onstad letting that corner kick in directly 🤢

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

great career..was great to see him as a bundesliga starter with augsburg and score one of the most beautiful goals in bundesliga..could have played a few more years..unfortunately got himself far from reality and probably disconnected recently with the comments he made on salaries and other in cpl..best wishes for his next steps

Lol

He was a good player but unfortunately in the prime of his career he was never a starter for Canada, so we never really saw him at his best. He was behind Jazic/Klukowski. I remember the away match vs Panama in 2012 he was arguably our best player but never got a sniff for the rest of the campaign - those decisions bothered me at the time. 

Marcel "If you're going score,score in style" de Jong. 

Could be an absolute delight to watch when he would go on a raid.  Or take the leather off the ball.  Or come together, rather clumsily more often than not, with an opponent he was closing.  Good or bad, always great fun to watch.

Live long and prosper! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm not sure calling your self "Football Bum" or "Football Ass" is a great marketing strategy. Sure "kids today" may not be familiar with the euphemism but when they get a hold of it, it will bite the academy in the fundament. 😄