New jerseys to drop March 18?

45 minutes ago, frmr said:

God Adidas is so much better than Nike in every way possible. Adidas would be a dream.

I know it's your opinion, but I think this is overstated. To me they are both the same. For every Adidas Mexico kit, there's Nikes Nigeria kit. For every Adidas Argentina kit, there's Nikes Brazil kits.

The article @Treppy2 posted had more Nike kits in it than Adidas.

The reality is, the countries with the most people and football as the main sport get the most attention. 

The Mexico kit looks very interesting, and I get a retro-90s feel from it (apart from the font on the crest, which says 80s lol). I don't know if I like this look - I'm glad kits are trending toward more distinct designs, but Mexico's uniform might be a little too busy for my liking. This is just my personal preference.

Something about the Mexico kit looks cheap, though - it must be the crests and numbers. I wonder if Adidas is outsourcing to Fanatics...

Apart from the incapacity of the self-proclaimed experts to distinguish between a properly done launch and botched hack job, which is what we've seen (aping an overworn presentation style and doing it badly) the real problem with the shirt design is other: the client-designer relationship. 

No one has mentioned this on this thread. There is an overall opinion, entirely mistaken, that the brand foists a shirt on the client, in this case the CSA, and we take what we get. That is only the case if there is a weak contribution from the client's side. Or of course, you can fail if the designer is incompetent or is performing some sort of trickery or scam on the client, which we should rule out. 

In ideal cases, designers will even teach the client how to dialogue meaningfully, they will educate someone, or a team (do we have such a team at the CSA), on how to go through the process of conceiving, and then converting the vision into something marketable and attractive for Canada fans.

I am fairly sure that Macron has done this with the CPL, as a league, and then with the individual teams. You can see it in the results, they make a concerted effort to listen and to have a bit of ethnographic method; and then you can see, for markets that are relatively small, quite good results. I don't know if they send teams to Vancouver Island, say (of if they did once way back when, with Covid I imagine they may not have) but they seek out dialogue. That leads to very specific results where each team has a home and away and even keepers, often with ultra-local motifs, from nature or the city, drawing on those sorts of things because of course, no club has its own history and legacy to draw on. The pattern design is detailed and shows strong criteria, each has a clear identity that can be distinguished from the other 7 teams. For me, sure, VFC looked rushed last year, compare to this where the red is used better on the main shirt and the "eagles" theme is given more play.

If anyone thinks the Raptors merchandising around the time of the championship, and after, did not involve some meaningful dialogue, they are mistaken (We the North, many lesser clients would have vetoed, erroneously forced changes or plain misunderstood a lot of those proposals). 

Most great designers, in fashion, architecture, in furniture, corporate image, who are working on commission, will have weak moments, it is actually quite common. We can cite great architects who have won the Pritzker (the "Nobel Prize" for architects) who have done poor jobs on certain buildings. Same with any other design project. And a reason, in a great many cases, is that the client did not know why they'd hired that team, sent out confusing messages, did not contribute meaningfully, or did not assume an intelligently informed role. That is what I think we are talking about with the CSA. They could do much better. They really should have a team or else hire consultants who are knowledgeable instead of acting like ghost stakeholders.

I don't know what people expect of the CSA. Do people think we have people at the association who are in meaningful dialogue with our shirt producers, who reject proposals, ask for tweaks, have a pride in providing expressions for the team's image? I don't think so.

I think we got a good home or red shirt for the women for the World Cup (the white not so much) but that is because Nike did it on their own accord: they bypassed any dialogue with the CSA and chose to put in that effort. They imagined their potential user-client well and went ahead without us. 

That said, because sales for any shirt producer for the Canadian market, you could understand that the effort might be weaker and the results poorer. If you are designing for a club that will sell millions, and you have paid millions for rights, you might assume more goes into it. But back to Macron: that case proves that even when you are a small client, if you know--or are taught--how to relate meaningfully with the shirt producer, you can get excellent results.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apart from the incapacity of the self-proclaimed experts to distinguish between a properly done launch and botched hack job, which is what we've seen (aping an overworn presentation style and doing it badly)

Quick, you should go tell England they’re doing it wrong. Must be because they’re country bumpkins.

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6540.png

On 3/19/2024 at 4:40 PM, Shway said:

I know it's your opinion, but I think this is overstated. To me they are both the same. For every Adidas Mexico kit, there's Nikes Nigeria kit. For every Adidas Argentina kit, there's Nikes Brazil kits.

The article @Treppy2 posted had more Nike kits in it than Adidas.

The reality is, the countries with the most people and football as the main sport get the most attention. 

Exactly 💯 which is why I said Canada 🇨🇦 in all likelihood will re sign with Nike and stay with Nike as a kit sponsor. Or even if they don't and leave Nike, they will probably go to Adidas anyway. Because like you said countries with the most people and football ️ as one of our main sports, yeah that is why we will get attention from either company as a kit sponsor

1 hour ago, RS said:

Quick, you should go tell England they’re doing it wrong. Must be because they’re country bumpkins.

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6540.png

I don't see the black electrical tape on the ground telling the players to stand here.

Maybe that appears in the behind the behind the scenes reveal. :)

9 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I don't see the black electrical tape on the ground telling the players to stand here.

Maybe that appears in the behind the behind the scenes reveal. :)

True. I guess we can upgrade them from country bumpkins to high class hillbillies.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apart from the incapacity of the self-proclaimed experts to distinguish between a properly done launch and botched hack job, which is what we've seen (aping an overworn presentation style and doing it badly) the real problem with the shirt design is other: the client-designer relationship. 

No one has mentioned this on this thread. There is an overall opinion, entirely mistaken, that the brand foists a shirt on the client, in this case the CSA, and we take what we get. That is only the case if there is a weak contribution from the client's side. Or of course, you can fail if the designer is incompetent or is performing some sort of trickery or scam on the client, which we should rule out. 

In ideal cases, designers will even teach the client how to dialogue meaningfully, they will educate someone, or a team (do we have such a team at the CSA), on how to go through the process of conceiving, and then converting the vision into something marketable and attractive for Canada fans.

I am fairly sure that Macron has done this with the CPL, as a league, and then with the individual teams. You can see it in the results, they make a concerted effort to listen and to have a bit of ethnographic method; and then you can see, for markets that are relatively small, quite good results. I don't know if they send teams to Vancouver Island, say (of if they did once way back when, with Covid I imagine they may not have) but they seek out dialogue. That leads to very specific results where each team has a home and away and even keepers, often with ultra-local motifs, from nature or the city, drawing on those sorts of things because of course, no club has its own history and legacy to draw on. The pattern design is detailed and shows strong criteria, each has a clear identity that can be distinguished from the other 7 teams. For me, sure, VFC looked rushed last year, compare to this where the red is used better on the main shirt and the "eagles" theme is given more play.

If anyone thinks the Raptors merchandising around the time of the championship, and after, did not involve some meaningful dialogue, they are mistaken (We the North, many lesser clients would have vetoed, erroneously forced changes or plain misunderstood a lot of those proposals). 

Most great designers, in fashion, architecture, in furniture, corporate image, who are working on commission, will have weak moments, it is actually quite common. We can cite great architects who have won the Pritzker (the "Nobel Prize" for architects) who have done poor jobs on certain buildings. Same with any other design project. And a reason, in a great many cases, is that the client did not know why they'd hired that team, sent out confusing messages, did not contribute meaningfully, or did not assume an intelligently informed role. That is what I think we are talking about with the CSA. They could do much better. They really should have a team or else hire consultants who are knowledgeable instead of acting like ghost stakeholders.

I don't know what people expect of the CSA. Do people think we have people at the association who are in meaningful dialogue with our shirt producers, who reject proposals, ask for tweaks, have a pride in providing expressions for the team's image? I don't think so.

I think we got a good home or red shirt for the women for the World Cup (the white not so much) but that is because Nike did it on their own accord: they bypassed any dialogue with the CSA and chose to put in that effort. They imagined their potential user-client well and went ahead without us. 

That said, because sales for any shirt producer for the Canadian market, you could understand that the effort might be weaker and the results poorer. If you are designing for a club that will sell millions, and you have paid millions for rights, you might assume more goes into it. But back to Macron: that case proves that even when you are a small client, if you know--or are taught--how to relate meaningfully with the shirt producer, you can get excellent results.

image.png.2f143a185df198af666c671e4fd01fd8.png

46 minutes ago, RJB said:

Interesting to see the new Norway jersey has the crest and makers mark centred, but the crest is above the mark.  Kind how it should be, no?

Looks like the A's are wearing corsets.

On 3/19/2024 at 6:53 PM, TGAA_Star said:

Canada 🇨🇦 will re sign with Nike in all likelihood and even if they don't and go somewhere else, Canada will in all likelihood go to Adidas. Why? Canada 🇨🇦 is a top team in CONCACAF now much like the USA and Mexico so in essence being a top team means you stay with the top kit sponsor brands like Nike, like Adidas and so on 

You're right.  I'm just hoping that we can count on the fact that most of the outside world somehow tends to forget the second biggest country on the planet exists, and we can end up with Puma, Umbro or Macron.

Besides not giving us a new kit for the World Cup, as well as being horrible with their supply chain and overall design, I'm pretty sure that if we renew with Nike, it'll be another bad deal financially for Canada.   

In a shock move, after 77 years with Adidas, Germany is going with Nike from 2027-34. The reason is money. Showing how far down Canada is in the pecking order in the business of world football, Nike offered €100m/yr, a world record. Adidas was paying €50m/year.

Adidas CEO travelled to DFB's Frankfurt headquarters on Wednesday to present a final offer. As a non-profit association and due to the its major financial problems, the DFB couldn't turn down Nike's offer. Nike's proposal was also deemed best for supporting grassroots and women's football. The deal includes success-on-the-pitch bonuses along with the usual sales royalties and supplying kits for all DFB teams. 

Germany's men's team is still using Adidas' headquarters in Herzogenaurach, as its team base for the Euros. Germany is the world's biggest association with more than 7m registered members, 2.2m players and 24k+ clubs.

Adidas just launched Germany's Euro kits which included a pink version that they say has already become a top seller despite gnashing of teeth by some.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2024/03/21/german-football-association-announces-nike-kit-deal-ending-decades-long-partnership-with-adidas/soccer/

On 3/21/2024 at 12:06 AM, RS said:

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6540.png

Thanks for using England to demonstrate the high standard of shirt design and presentation. Today the failure of the design is front page in both left and right wing papers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13227463/Rishi-Sunak-England-flag-kit-row-warns-Nike-St-Georges-football-Peter-Shilton.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/21/keir-starmer-calls-for-england-to-scrap-euros-kit-with-new-st-georges-cross-design-football

Outraged fans demand Nike recalls England's official kit for Euro 2024  after it changed St George's Cross from red to light blue and purple - as  manufacturer claims 'playful update' will 'unite

Both the leader of Labour Starmer, and the PM, Sunak, have called for the shirt to be recalled, rejecting it as an insult to the country. Starmer, from the left, even mocks it as the worst example of false woke. Over 90% of fans in surveys reject it because it alters the cross of St George. 

Says Sunak, a Southhampton fan: "When it comes to our national flags, we shouldn't mess with them".

Along with the trash level, amateur presentation that just aped the worst of social media cliches (loved by RS, of course, in his usual praise ...

On 3/20/2024 at 11:14 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

In ideal cases, designers will even teach the client how to dialogue meaningfully, they will educate someone, or a team, on how to go through the process of conceiving, and then converting the vision into something marketable and attractive.

Most great designers, in fashion, architecture, in furniture, corporate image, who are working on commission, will have weak moments, it is actually quite common. And a reason, in a great many cases, is that the client did not know why they'd hired that team, sent out confusing messages, did not contribute meaningfully, or did not assume an intelligently informed role. 

of low standards in everything), the process of the design was flawed in the ways I posted above. The designer did not have proper consultation with the FA, in this case, who did not filter design decisions with any sensibility, nor defend the basic principles that the FA is supposed to defend as an organization officially representing a nation. Nike overrode national sentiment and were incapable of understanding the shirt is not just a plaything but a meaningful symbol. And the result is a product fans, former players, and politicians from across the board are openly saying the want changed.

Sorry for the long post, appreciating there are guys on the board like @maplebanana who can't handle texts even this long.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist