Kevin Blue named CSA General Secretary and CEO

narduch

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I wish him all the best. We desperately need Kevin to succeed and right the ship. He has a lot on his plate.

In the 2023 5 to Watch Awards video (above) the former AD of Stanford said he is "undaunted by challenges" and "willing to take on difficult things for which you don't have the answers", "Kevin has always been willing to take on those types of tough challenges"

33 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Kevin Blue ushers in new era of leadership at Canada Soccer
Former Stanford, University of California-Davis, and Golf Canada executive appointed as new General Secretary and CE
canadasoccer.com February 29, 2024

Canada Soccer announced today that Kevin Blue has been named its new General Secretary and CEO, bringing with him a range of successful experience in commercial, sport, and chief executive roles.

Blue joins Canada Soccer after serving as Golf Canada’s Chief Sport Officer since 2021, where he oversaw a range of functions for the NSO and helped to drive over $20M in new financial support for the national teams and grass roots programming.

Previously, Blue was a leading college sports executive in the United States, where he held the role of Athletics Director at the University of California, Davis. Blue was the youngest AD in Division I at the time of his hire – age 33 – and led a successful cultural and financial turnaround of the Division I school over the next five years. UC Davis experienced record fundraising and revenue-generating totals along with best-ever competitive performances in several sports. Blue’s tenure was highlighted by the fundraising and construction of a new $52M sports performance and medical center.

Kevin also emerged as a widely read national thought leader on issues related to the financial structure of US college sports. His essay “Rising Expenses in College Sports and the Non-Profit Paradox” appeared as expert testimony in a US Senate hearing about college sports finance.

Prior to UC Davis, Kevin worked in progressively senior commercial roles and eventually led the commercial functions of Stanford’s $120M athletics department. Revenue grew sharply during his seven years at Stanford and the Cardinal football team made three Rose Bowl appearances in a four year stretch. The Stanford soccer teams produced international stars such as Christen Press, Kelly O’Hara, and Jordan Morris.

“In Kevin, we have a transformational and results oriented leader on our team to help guide us towards a more positive future for soccer in Canada and to capture the incredible opportunities ahead.” said Charmaine Crooks, Canada Soccer President.

Blue holds a Ph.D. in Sport Psychology from Michigan State University and a B.A. in Psychology from Stanford University where he was captain of the golf team. Kevin was named one of Canada’s “Five to Watch” in sports business for 2023.

Kevin and his wife Betsy have four children – Jalen, Baron, Brooklyn, and Maya – and live in Mississauga, Ontario.

Blue will officially begin in his new role on March 14, 2024.

Career Highlights:

Stanford University — oversaw the commercial areas of the NCAA’s most successful athletics department.

University of California, Davis — became the youngest Athletics Director in Division-I at the time of his hire. Drove a cultural and financial turnaround at the Division-I school and emerged as a national thought leader on college sports finance.

Golf Canada — served as the Chief Sport Officer where he made a significant impact programmatically while helping to drive over $20 million in new financial support for the national teams and grassroots programming.

Sports Executive Leadership — named one of Canada’s “Five to Watch” in 2023 and has authored several internationally-recognized white papers on the Business of Sports and Non-Profit Athletics.

I suppose "grass-roots" programming in golf will carry over well for soccer.

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm following the new General Secretary's wife on Instagram. Like oh my god she's wearing that Gucci Bag with that dress 

I'm on this forum because I love Canadian Football

You seem to do more bitching about things you don't care about than making productive posts about things you do. Instead of coming in and making multiple posts attempting to make fun of people discussing a relevant subject to Canada Soccer, if you're not interested in the subject being discussed, don't click on the thread. Seems pretty simple, no?

1 hour ago, red card said:

Aside from NCAA issues, he rarely posts about about sports. But he did one for making it to Qatar.

What an incredible video. It still gives me goosebumps after almost 2 yrs. I really hope we can get back to where we were and punch through higher. Next step: hire a quality coach to lead us to the promised land and Biello can be part of the coaching team.

29 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yes, that was my first thought as well. It makes me wonder if he only recently applied, rather than being a runner-up candidate when they first hired Walker.

I wonder if that is the case especially as they also gave him the CEO title for the first time.  

For what it's worth, Wheeler mentioned on OneSoccer the other day that there was an incredible candidate for the job but they weren't being considered because they weren't in the original round of candidates by the company they were using to recruit. So either this guy was in the original round, or Canada Soccer found a way around the stupidity Wheeler was describing.

28 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Don't worry about @SpursFlu and his poor mood, he just has a case of the Blues.

Nice one. But I'm just pointing out that who cares how this person comes across or if he checks mine or yours personal boxes. I don't care if he's a huge jerk or mister nice guy. Let's judge people on the results and not create any unnecessary drama. As long as our national teams win and the CPL flourishes.. thats all that should matter

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Nice one. But I'm just pointing out that who cares how this person comes across or if he checks mine or yours personal boxes. I don't care if he's a huge jerk or mister nice guy. Let's judge people on the results and not create any unnecessary drama. As long as our national teams win and the CPL flourishes.. thats all that should matter

I think you're really overestimating the power of this forum if you think us discussing our first impressions of the hiring is going to create any drama. I'm sure everyone will agree that his performance is the most important thing, but until those results exist, it's completely reasonable to discuss our first impressions of the new CEO of the whole federation. Are you going to protest people discussing the hiring of the new manager as well?

Anyways, enough about this. The moral of the story is that you don't find something interesting, ignore it like everyone else does. Don't barge in and loudly proclaim multiple times that you don't find it interesting. That's some attention whore shit.