Kevin Blue named CSA General Secretary and CEO

narduch

1 hour ago, CanSoccfan11 said:

...The simple fact of the matter is expenses have skyrocketed with inflation the last number of years and the CSA has been blocked from raising fees...

Grassroots amateur and youth level soccer gets very little back in exchange for those player registration fees. National team related revenue streams such as the CIBC sponsorship deal are what should be funding the national teams rather than trying to drain even more money out of clubs at the grassroots level.

Newsflash, when you try to increase registration fees clubs can always try to find ways not to register house or recreational league sort of level with their local district association so more of the money they charge players to participate stays with them at the local level.

There was a reason why the provincial association chiefs turned on Nick Bontis in a big way when a large registration fee increase was first suggested. They are closer to the backlash that will happen.

10 minutes ago, Vasi said:

I had an actual nightmare about tomorrows game. 

I dreamt we were down 2-0 in the 40th minute. Borjan let the 2nd one through his legs. 

Then I woke up!

If you could see his legs, skin, hair and dirty knees, it was definitely a dream. 

27 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Grassroots amateur and youth level soccer gets very little back in exchange for those player registration fees. National team related revenue streams such as the CIBC sponsorship deal are what should be funding the national teams rather than trying to drain even more money out of clubs at the grassroots level.

Newsflash, when you try to increase registration fees clubs can always try to find ways not to register house or recreational league sort of level with their local district association so more of the money they charge players to participate stays with them at the local level.

There was a reason why the provincial association chiefs turned on Nick Bontis in a big way when a large registration fee increase was first suggested. They are closer to the backlash that will happen.

I'm sure glad that is only an option when they increase player fees. For a second I thought that, if true, clubs could be finding ways of not paying their current fees. Thank goodness that hypothetical scenario only occurs in a world where fees increase. 

Im obviously kidding around but its a bit wild to suggest that: 
1. Clubs charge players these fees currently and give it to CSA and theres no issues. 
2. If CSA increases fees, the clubs will charge the players these increased fees BUT will now create some weird system so that the club can maintain all of these fees (both original amounts and increased amounts). 
3. To suggest CSA wouldnt notice that all the fees they used to get are now magically gone. 
4. That its more cost effective and practical to create an entirely new league thats not CSA sanctioned. Compared with just giving CSA the fee.  
5. That parents would rather save $4.00 per year and give their child a much lower quality experience. 

If clubs want to leave the association and do their own thing, go ahead. Save $4.00 per child per year.  But thats not what you are implying. What your suggesting is soooo impractical for so many reasons. 

BTW the dates of the proposed player fee increase started after bontis resigned and will be voted on in may this year. Bontis has nothing to do with this currently. 

Edited by Bigandy

33 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It can cost as much as roughly $40 million per year to run our national teams.  No corporate entity is giving the association anywhere near that amount to run those teams.   Even when we made the world cup it was reported that CSB got around $8 million in total advertising revenue.   That is a drop in the bucket.

The CSA gets the vast majority of its revenue through various grant funding.   They seem to have correctly identified the need to maximize the grant/donation revenue stream by bringing in a CEO that has a long history of building robust philanthropic revenue streams.

There is very little to be gained through corporate sponsorship, deal or no deal.  

10 hours ago, narduch said:

And your last point is also wrong. I was laughing at how the only topic you are interested in on this forum is CSB. It's basically the only topic you post about.

Don't you find that weird?

That's completely unfair, and I have to defend OP here.  He also squaks on incessantly about bus leagues and paid vs. actual attendance.

Any massive financial gain for Canada Soccer from co-hosting 2026 isn't  because there is a CSB deal or there is no CSB deal.

Without CSB, other media haven't shown they're likely to pay up for Canada Soccer rights. At best, TSN will take care of production for a couple of high profile home friendlies to show before the World Cup. Canada Soccer will get some bucks for for international rights. But CSB has passed through Qatar WCQ international rights monies to Canada Soccer.

For sponsors, there aren't too many major category sponsors left to sign up. Canada Soccer wants CSB to sign up airline, hotel & logistics sponsors but these don't typically pay tier 1 sponsor monies. Gambling & hard liquor sponsors are up to Canada Soccer to monetize. Nike deal won't likely expire till after 2026.

Just over half of Canada Soccer' s sponsors are also CPL sponsors. Some may leave Canada Soccer without CPL linkage or renew at a lower tier especially post 2026. Ex CIBC, sponsor commitment hasn't been high as majority didn't buy tv ad time for Qatar/Australia World Cups. Only a few have spent money on brand activation activities linked with Canada Soccer.

After hosting WWC 15, about 80% of sponsors didn't renew their deal with Canada Soccer. CSB's added value will be seen if they manage to keep sponsor turnover low and/or find replacement sponsors in short order.

Based on WWC 15, the big windfall coming in 2026 will be Canada Soccer's share of the tournament revenues. This was $82m in revenues or net $10.1m after share of tournament expenses. Sponsor/donor money only accounted for 8% ($8.5m) of Canada Soccer's revenues in 2015. Media revenue was zero since TSN wasn't paying for rights.

11 hours ago, Vasi said:

I had an actual nightmare about tomorrows game. 

I dreamt we were down 2-0 in the 40th minute. Borjan let the 2nd one through his legs. 

Then I woke up!

And when you woke up did Borjan curse out you and Biello for not having faith in him?

I dreamt last night I was at a fancy reception for the players and I was sitting on a white couch talking to Kamal and Tajon about playing college ball in Syracuse.  And I literally shit my pants....shit all over the couch and it was horrific....Herdman was even there to laugh at me.  Once I woke up and the wife explained the dream to me (lots of psych in college) it made sense and now I am more worried about todays game.  

Edited by Bison44

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 7:36 PM, Club Linesman said:

Love it. Love this guy!  He looks like he may be the answer to our issues.  Also love the family on the background wondering what the f is going on and did we time travel to Moose Jaw when we walked in here?

If that family knew about Moose Jaw then obviously they were Canucks. There for the game.