Kevin Blue named CSA General Secretary and CEO

narduch

Okay, for starters, yes he's cute! (My wife agrees 😉). And, second, I like the profile, experience, pedigree, and youthfulness of this hire. He seems ambitious, which is good, and he should be able to put all that high-powered psych education to good use, too.  The big question:  Will the board let him do the job that needs to be done?  Unless he utterly craps the bed--not likely--then I see the first phase as a three-year plan. 

I wish him well!! 

3 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Okay, for starters, yes he's cute! (My wife agrees 😉). And, second, I like the profile, experience, pedigree, and youthfulness of this hire. He seems ambitious, which is good, and he should be able to put all that high-powered psych education to good use, too.  The big question:  Will the board let him do the job that needs to be done?  Unless he utterly craps the bed--not likely--then I see the first phase as a three-year plan. 

I wish him well!! 

Can he choose a new coach in 4 weeks?

No country in the world does what we are doing, dicking around for months. It's shameful. Every soccer federation in the world have candidates in line and thought of, they all have a short list and manage it in real time. In most European countries, in S America, anywhere pretty well, they choose a coach in 10 days to 3 weeks. Or have a caretaker while they wait for their man to come free of his contract. 

If the guy is starting from scratch and needs to do a CSA meditation course to get up to speed we're screwed.

We are slowly getting close to being "a soccer nation", in many ways, we have a Cup thanks to the Voyageurs, a league, we are in Concacaf competitions, we are starting to build a club pyramid, but we lag with the national programs, the kids, camps, scouting, coaching, the technical structure is crappy. We don't have decent youth coaches. Bev is good, thankfully, seems she can put a bad WC behind her and rebuild, credit to her. But the overall system of coaching is weak. Which is partially on Herdman who was hired to fix it, it was in his job description in fact. 

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't think so, he has a better profile than the person who bailed on us, I agree. 

I agree as well, it was a lame joke. I'm actually very excited about this hiring.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Can he choose a new coach in 4 weeks?

No country in the world does what we are doing, dicking around for months. It's shameful. Every soccer federation in the world have candidates in line and thought of, they all have a short list and manage it in real time. In most European countries, in S America, anywhere pretty well, they choose a coach in 10 days to 3 weeks. Or have a caretaker while they wait for their man to come free of his contract. 

If the guy is starting from scratch and needs to do a CSA meditation course to get up to speed we're screwed.

We are slowly getting close to being "a soccer nation", in many ways, we have a Cup thanks to the Voyageurs, a league, we are in Concacaf competitions, we are starting to build a club pyramid, but we lag with the national programs, the kids, camps, scouting, coaching, the technical structure is crappy. We don't have decent youth coaches. Bev is good, thankfully, seems she can put a bad WC behind her and rebuild, credit to her. But the overall system of coaching is weak. Which is partially on Herdman who was hired to fix it, it was in his job description in fact. 

Yeah, fundamental infrastructure is sorely lagging. Somehow we've been punching above our weight despite real systemic liabilities, but over performance is not sustainable over the longer term without proper structures and supports, including the development of quality coaches throughout the program.  Incredible amount of work for Blue to do: where does one start?

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yeah, fundamental infrastructure is sorely lagging. Somehow we've been punching above our weight despite real systemic liabilities, but over performance is not sustainable over the longer term without proper structures and supports, including the development of quality coaches throughout the program.  Incredible amount of work for Blue to do: where does one start?

Finding funding. Which he seems to have been good at at his previous stops.

I'll echo the sentiment that his age, experience, and lack of previous CSA ties seem to be exactly what we needed for that position.  

I gotta admit though, it might take me a while to get used to the name, as Kevin Blue sounds more like the way we used to talk about Kevin Pipe's time at the CSA, than a proper name.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Finding funding. Which he seems to have been good at at his previous stops.

To state the obvious, it would have to be "funding" that is not Corp sponsorships or other cashflows that fall within the  CSA/CSB deal by definition. Its going to be a challenge.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'd like to echo what a few others have said. How the fuck was this guy passed over in the original search when he's a far better candidate, on paper, than the other one?

I don't think he was. I think he came in to the picture after the initial recruiting process. Someone mentioned earlier that Wheeler had said there was some red tape holding back  a great candidate for that reason.

2 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

I don't think he was. I think he came in to the picture after the initial recruiting process. Someone mentioned earlier that Wheeler had said there was some red tape holding back  a great candidate for that reason.

If that's true, then it's very bureaucratic and an example of why decisions/actions  take so long with the CSA. Unless Kevin came along after the decision had been made re the GS hire and talks were already under way,  but I doubt that. As CEO & GS, I'm hoping that he can cut to the chase and get results/move things forward expediently.

Pulling from the Golf Canada release:

”Since returning to Canada in January of 2021, Blue was a driving force to Golf Canada’s vision and impact on Canadian golf. He was instrumental in many of the areas of Golf Canada’s strategic priorities and helped drive several initiatives including First Tee – Canada, National Golf League (NGL), She Plays Golf, Junior Golf Facility Awards, and the evolution of Golf Canada’s Amateur Championships. 

A strong proponent of municipal and accessible golf, Blue played a key role in Golf Canada’s attention to diversity, equity, inclusion, and safe sport. He also had a significant impact with the Golf Canada Foundation, helping to recruit, build and collaborate with critical program donors.”

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Nice one. But I'm just pointing out that who cares how this person comes across or if he checks mine or yours personal boxes. I don't care if he's a huge jerk or mister nice guy. Let's judge people on the results and not create any unnecessary drama. As long as our national teams win and the CPL flourishes.. thats all that should matter

I see.

6 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Yeah don't be naive.  It was clearly affirmative action.  How else can you explain how after she left we ended up with *checks notes* a 40 year old straight white guy with a young family. Wait.... 

Yah and hopefully it does the trick because I don't care who does this job as long as it keeps the Whiteheads of the world off their back. Hire Michelle Obama for all I care. Lets just keep the brutal headlines and frivolous lawsuits in the past

Nothing but the best wishes for the man, for all our sakes.  It doesn't read as though he's the sort of person who doesn't know what he'd be getting himself into so, a glimmer of hope, maybe, for the future.

What am I writting?

He knows what he's getting himself into.

Oh boy.  There's a string of famous last words for you.  Right up there with "Hold my beer and watch this!".  "Floor it!  We can make it!" and "Does this taste funny to you?"

Good luck there, buddy.  Here's hoping you don't get a stern reality check.  Seriously.   

Edited by Cheeta

2 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Yeah don't be naive.  It was clearly affirmative action.  How else can you explain how after she left we ended up with *checks notes* a 40 year old straight white guy with a young family. Wait.... 

The women's NT hammered away at Crooks from day one, calling her a Bontis yes-girl, and publicly, so they clearly proved they have no concern for such stuff.

Hope they tell Westhead that.

13 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

...We will work with determination to unite all stakeholders behind the common objective of making sure soccer in Canada is successful and growing — from grassroots up through the National Teams. This work includes collaborating across stakeholders to build a stronger commercial and philanthropic structure to support our sport nationally...

Found the bolded part a slightly odd way to phrase things. Possible workaround where the CSB deal is concerned, or maybe it's just his NCAA background because that would tend to be more of a factor in that context where donations from alumni are concerned?