CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

9 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I'm not saying that Buchanan had a great game, but to say that Davies did is revisionist history.  Davies was 80% in terms of passing.  He lost possession 26 times on 96 touches.  Those aren't great numbers.

You let Buchanan have a free role under the striker for 20 minutes, and he'd have a ton more dribbles and shots too.

Davies was a big part of our offence despite not having a great game.

Buchanan, again, had a poor game.

Davies had a better game than Buchanan.

All I am saying.

Both them and the system they play in, can be better.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Davies was big part of our offence despite not having a great game.

Buchanan, again, had a poor game.

Davies had a better game than Buchanan.

All I am saying.

Both them and the system they play in, can be better.

Yeah, and you're wrong.  That's all I'm saying. 😎

Hah, in the follow-up match, Costa Rica just scored against Honduras and celebrated in front of Honduran fans. They were showered with cups, beer, ice, etc. The referee made the Honduran players go and clean up the mess their fans made on the field before he would restart the match. That was awesome!

Edited by Treppy2

3 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Hah, in the follow-up match, Costa Rica just scored against Honduras and celebrated in front Honduran fans. They were showered with cups, beer, ice, etc. The referee made the Honduran players go and clean up the mess their fans made on the field before he would restart the match. That was awesome!

The etc. is doing a lot of work here.

7 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I am still nervous with how we play with the lead.  Keep getting caught on the counter when we aren't the ones needing a goal.  We got burned against Jamaica but luckily not today.

Funny, I worry about every phase of the game depending on what's going on; who the opposition is, the score, time of the match etc. I dream for the day I'm only nervous about playing with a lead.

Not wanting to get into a Davies/Buchanon..who had a bad game debate, but Davies did have multiple defenders running at him a lot of the time.  T+T gamed it out and made sure the defense was covering his side of things and Davies still managed to create on his side....just saying.

Overall it was touch and go, harder than it should have been even if T+T were bunkering most of the time.  We had top 5 league guys out there against Ramperstad and a lot of USL guys.  They should have been able to crack that defense, I hate to see what happens when we come up against Netherlands and Argentina this summer!!      

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Even though I run him down sometimes I think we were missing Osorio a bit tonight. He's pretty good in those tight spaces around the box

I think we were definitely missing a third midfielder. Personally I'm ready to move forward with a Choiniere or Ahmed or whomever, but I agree there was a lot of work left undone where Oso would normally play.

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Even though I run him down sometimes I think we were missing Osorio a bit tonight. He's pretty good in those tight spaces around the box

Healthy enough to play for TFC, but not for CMNT.  Hmmm.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I'm sorry but the comments about Davies don't reflect the reality of the game.

He beat 4 men and fed Buchanan who skied it.  He fed David who missed. After a run no one else makes, he would have had a hockey assist via Eustaquio if Larin finishes better. He picks the right pass on the break and does get an assist on Shaffellburg's.

He had poor moments but he also still contributed to the majority of our chances.

Of course he has to be told to play a two way game (and we need a coach that can instill that) but he can do that and continue to be a huge part of the offence.

Perhaps I have to watch the game on replay in a more relaxed state, but Davies based on the club he plays at and what he has achieved at Bayern is our most talented player and he has to be our best player if we are to move to the next level. I didn't see that today. His touches were generally poor and his passing was not sharp. Wasn't able to use his speed to torch the T&T defenders. Yes he created a few chances but is that all that we expect from him? I think that's a low bar for a player that is generally considered the best in Concacaf.  Compare that to David who I thought was clearly MoM, and who is considered 2nd best to Davies. I'm sure (or at least I am hoping) he as well as the team will have a bounce back performance vs Argentina

19 minutes ago, red card said:

Original tweet by the new vibes CANMNT account below. Did create engagement off the scale for Canada Soccer.

Then pulled and reposted.

GJZAiTAXwAE6fP1.jpg

Man, LDF plays a total of six minutes for his country, qualifies for a major tournament, and gets a prime position position on the QUALIFIED graphic. Pssst, kid -very glad that you joined us, but it's only downhill from here.

(Please prove me wrong.)

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If Oso was there, I think he would have been playing CAM, David would have been a true striker, and Ugbo would have been on the bench.  I think that is a much more balanced team. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Perhaps I have to watch the game on replay in a more relaxed state, but Davies based on the club he plays at and what he has achieved at Bayern is our most talented player and he has to be our best player if we are to move to the next level. I didn't see that today. His touches were generally poor and his passing was not sharp. Wasn't able to use his speed to torch the T&T defenders. Yes he created a few chances but is that all that we expect from him? I think that's a low bar for a player that is generally considered the best in Concacaf.  Compare that to David who I thought was clearly MoM, and who is considered 2nd best to Davies. I'm sure (or at least I am hoping) he as well as the team will have a bounce back performance vs Argentina

He has set some high standards for club and for country and he didn't reach them today. Very true. 

But I think that can blind us to the postitive contributions even if they are more meagre. A not great game for him  is still a pretty decent level.   

He did not just create a few chances (he created the most chance in the game along with Kone and David in the stats I am looking at).  He contributed defensively - demonstrated by the fact he led the game in tackles and ground duels won.  What I noticed is that he didn't let us down, when something went wrong, including what he did , he fought hard to make sure that didn't hurt us. 

I just can't see it being one of his poorest games.

David worked so hard and was very neat and tidy for most of it.  He did  what he does incredibly well beyond scoring: pass in transition.  But I actually think the formation hamstrung him a fair bit until the game opened up.  I look at his passing, which was very accurate but very few were in the final third.  And I look at where he got his shots, not in locations where Jonathan David normally scores his goals. He played a role for the team and did it valiantly because that's him. But he can be used better.  In my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It depends on the opponent. In a game like this then yes but in the copa or world cup he can be a LWB.LM.

Honestly, we need to stop switching formations and positions.  We need to use these games to create familiar partnerships, identify backups for the starting roles as well as develop a solid identity.  

We know we need to beef up the middle, 2 does not cut it.  We know Johnston is not a CB, Davies is the best LB in the world for one of the best clubs in the world.  CB's should not be bombing up the field.

Canada does not play often enough to reinvent the wheel every match, it's holding us back and not bringing the best out of the players and team as a whole.  Need to stick to one formation and play people in their regular club positions.  Going from back 3 to back 4 and then back again is not helping.  It was a mess out there, we need to keep it simple, we have the quality to play better than we are if we just keep it simple.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Honestly, we need to stop switching formations and positions.  We need to use these games to create familiar partnerships, identify backups for the starting roles as well as develop a solid identity.  

We know we need to beef up the middle, 2 does not cut it.  We know Johnston is not a CB, Davies is the best LB in the world for one of the best clubs in the world.  CB's should not be bombing up the field.

Canada does not play often enough to reinvent the wheel every match, it's holding us back and not bringing the best out of the players and team as a whole.  Need to stick to one formation and play people in their regular club positions.  Going from back 3 to back 4 and then back again is not helping.  It was a mess out there, we need to keep it simple, we have the quality to play better than we are if we just keep it simple.

I agree with so much of that again.

But if you don't think CBs bomb up in a well run three at the back ("Underlapping runs", is the normal term) you haven't watched a creative version of that formation.  

Since you love tactics, I would recommend looking into it.

"When facing a deeper block, the wider centre-backs can also provide crosses from narrow positions or make overlapping or underlapping forward runs. They can work with the wing-back and wide attacker to create overloads in wide areas and try to progress around the opposition block."