CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

5 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

We need a coach that tells Davies to play within his capabilities. He's a left-back. Let's stop pretending he is something he is not. No more corners and no more LWB.

Yet, even after repeated performances like this, people still think he's a world class winger. 

He just gets double teamed and completely shutdown.  The solution is playing him at LB with a tricky winger instead of isolating him at RWB to work his way through double teams.

Edited by costarg

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Yet, even after repeated performances like this, people still think he's a world class winger. 

He just gets double teamed and completely shutdown.  The solution is playing him at LB with a tricky winger instead of isolating him at RWB to work his way through double teams.

It depends on the opponent. In a game like this then yes but in the copa or world cup he can be a LWB.LM.

18 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Ugbo was a part of the set up for Larin's goal

I like Ugbo too, I think three strikers in general was probably excessive. Sliding doors though. Ugbo was part of the set up. Nothing to say Bair wouldn't have scored or done the same. We will never know!

I do think his physicality might have helped more opening up space than the others though.

18 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Ugbo was a part of the set up for Larin's goal

I like Ugbo too, I think three strikers in general was probably excessive. Sliding doors though. Ugbo was part of the set up. Nothing to say Bair wouldn't have scored or done the same. We will never know!

I do think his physicality might have helped more opening up space than the others though.

I like the ambition of trying the three striker lineup, even though it didn’t work. I think Choiniere looked really solid and if he started in place of Ugbo (or Larin), I think we wrap this up quicker. I did like seeing JD play as more of a playmaker- he might be my POTM and it’s great seeing him play a different role that might come in handy wherever he ends up next.

Shaffelburg looks awesome too- looks like he’s breaking out before our eyes. Between him, Ahmed, Millar, Corbeanu, chances are we’ll have at least one very in form winger, if not multiple, for the next few years to come. 

11 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I agree with every point you made and I would add that Buchanan was excellent. He helped set up the goal and most of the chances were coming from his side of the field.

We need a coach that tells Davies to play within his capabilities. He's a left-back. Let's stop pretending he is something he is not. No more corners and no more LWB.

I don't agree at all.  I thought in the first half in particular, Davies was the only one making anything happen at all - Tajon had a a couple decent runs, but most of the time the play died at his feet.  He routinely cut back into the middle with the ball and turned it over, when he should've been driving the touchline.

Second half that changed a bit - once Tajon finally started driving to the touchline it opened up the inside for the cutback, and that led to the first goal (the defender was cheating to the outside).  So that was well done.  But overall he didn't have a great game (Davies wasn't great either, but he was generally more dangerous and more likely to create a chance)

Also not sure why you say no more corners for Davies either - his corners were no worse than Staq's and frankly they led to the better chances.  (Though that's not saying a lot.)

Wonder if Davies not getting the armband impacted his game. Not in a sulking way but perhaps playing on his mind? cause I'm struggling to recall a game where he was so poor. Cream rises to the top and although not great games for Larin & probably a bit game rusty Tajon they combine for the winning goal 💪. We didn't concede, but that 3 man combo at the back were  scary at times. They lack pace and height. Even when they were at CFM, the club's defence was the Achilles heel and cost them the playoff round under Nancy. 3 or 4 at the back we have to get Bombito into the setup.

38 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

That will only happen if we get a coach that has a CV at a level of our top players or close to it🤞. Even JH whom Davies said he would run through a brick wall, wasn't able to convince Davies. Btw I'm not saying he should or shouldn't play LB.

I'm sorry but the comments about Davies don't reflect the reality of the game.

He beat 4 men and fed Buchanan who skied it.  He fed David who missed. After a run no one else makes, he would have had a hockey assist via Eustaquio if Larin finishes better. He picks the right pass on the break and does get an assist on Shaffellburg's.

He had poor moments but he also still contributed to the majority of our chances.

Of course he has to be told to play a two way game (and we need a coach that can instill that) but he can do that and continue to be a huge part of the offence.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I'm sorry but the comments about Davies don't reflect the reality of the game.

He beat 4 men and fed Buchanan who skied it.  He fed David who missed. After a run no one else makes, he would have had a hockey assist via Eustaquio if Larin finishes better. He picks the right pass on the break and does get an assist on Shaffellburg's.

He had poor moments but he also still contributed to the majority of our chances.

Of course he has to be told to play a two way game (and we need a coach that can instill that) but he can do that and continue to be a huge part of the offence.

I agree. I think the problem is Davies is often our best player when he plays…but other players seem to have their best games when Davies isn’t playing. Ie team is tighter.

14 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

But I could point out all the good things Buchanan did and it would read the same as the above.  Buchanan put in a perfect cross, but no one made a front post run and it went straight to the keeper.  Buchanan laid off to Davies who missed it etc. etc.

Davies was no better or no worse than the rest of the team.  To elevate him doesn't reflect the "reality of the game".  He had some moments that were good, but he also had others where he ran into the double team and lost the ball.

2 minutes ago, Cadeau said:

I agree. I think the problem is Davies is often our best player when he plays…but other players seem to have their best games when Davies isn’t playing. Ie team is tighter.

I can agree with that.  

He needs a coach that will sit him down at say: you need to play like the wingbacks at Inter ( for example.)

You have a role that you need to play but we will unleash you in moments and you can bring those amazing contributions.  But the rest of the team needs to be flexible enough and have enough cover to make that happen.

4 hours ago, kacbru said:

By nature I lean towards cynicism and pessimism for all things CMNT. But I feel like we are going to smack them early and often. 

4-0 win. 

Well - f' my feelings.

I just finished watching the game on delay.  It's almost like we are a team that battles in the 4-8th best teams in Concacaf.

Bayern is right - Davies is not a winger, he belongs at LB.  Maybe that's because Bayern have squeezed it out of him, but I don't think he is a better player today than he was 3 years ago.  Maybe he is a better defender, which will come in handy in Copa.  Still has the heavy touch, still struggles with decent crosses into the box.  Needs space to maximize his skills.

David is pure class, all the time.

Larin seemed better on the ball - La Liga has been good for him.  Great goal, nicely worked.

Loved Shaf's directness and simplicity when he came on.  He and Kone seem to be the only ones willing to have a go from outside the 18.

We got extremely lucky with the back 3.  T&T was able to expose that pretty easily.

Still feels like a team with a sense of entitlement - players stopping to throw their hands up in the air while T&T just kept playing the other way.

Johnston with an embarrassingly stupid yellow and some poor decisions to press way up field with no cover.  But solid 1v1 defending and ball winner.

Thrilled to see LDF get on.  Quite happy if that is Biello's legacy.

I will be approaching the Copa with similar expectations to the 22WC - a point would be a good result, a win would be unbelievable and getting out of the group, a pipe dream.

15 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

But I could point out all the good things Buchanan did and it would read the same as the above.  Buchanan put in a perfect cross, but no one made a front post run and it went straight to the keeper.  Buchanan laid off to Davies who missed it etc. etc.

Davies was no better or no worse than the rest of the team.  To elevate him doesn't reflect the "reality of the game".  He had some moments that were good, but he also had others where he ran into the double team and lost the ball.

I'm sorry that's not true. 

Davies created at least 3 chances to Buchanan's none. 

He had more tackles and dribbles and shots.

Buchanan got caught on the ball for one chance against and didn't cover Johnston's run or even try to get back on their biggest one.

He improved in the second half but he had a poor game.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Bayern is right - Davies is not a winger, he belongs at LB.  Maybe that's because Bayern have squeezed it out of him, but I don't think he is a better player today than he was 3 years ago.  Maybe he is a better defender, which will come in handy in Copa.  Still has the heavy touch, still struggles with decent crosses into the box.  Needs space to maximize his skills.

This is 100% true.

We need a top coach to put him in the right spot to benefit the team. In the right position he can be huge for us. Other wise his hero ball tendencies will cost us dearly. 

Well, job done I suppose but, yikes… this game is just another major warning sign. We very easily could have been Concacafed into an upset in this one. The boys just did enough but not a performance worth celebrating.

What concerns me is we’re really struggling to break down inferior teams that are predictably set up to bunker and counter. There has to be more nuanced attacking patterns beyond simply getting the ball wide to Phonsy/Tajon/Laryea and hoping they produce some magic. When you pair this with the fact that when facing higher ranking nations, we’ve been simply outclassed, this team has a ton of work to do.

Hiring a head coach is mission critical at this point. Biello, much appreciated as a custodian and I hope he sticks with the program in some capacity. Just no tactical growth under his tenure. I do applaud his decision to go with a front 3 of inform strikers. Aggressive and could have been effective, even in a game like this, if we were prepared to play more direct and vertical.

Defensively, our back line didn’t shower themselves in glory. T&T’s one threat was dangerous and a better side would have punished us.

Set pieces—I appreciate the effort on the botched set play attempt, but again we remain far from imposing. Defensively they were resilient enough but not threatening in the least offensively. Would have liked Bombito involved for this reason. 

Rough day at the office for Tajon. Felt like he was fighting the game all night and was a turnover machine. Looked like a player that needs minutes. 

Would have liked Shaffelburg to come on sooner when, after the hour mark, it was clear half time adjustments weren’t happening. Things were so static and his attacking movements maybe could have opening things up earlier.

Nonetheless, what a wonderful opportunity lays ahead for this team. Great frendlies scheduled and a major tournament with some incredible opponents. Good start and best of luck to the new CEO.

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I'm sorry that's not true. 

Davies created at least 3 chances to Buchanan's none. 

He had more tackles and dribbles and shots.

Buchanan got caught on the ball for one chance against and didn't cover Johnston's run or even try to get back on their biggest one.

He improved in the second half but he had a poor game.

I'm not saying that Buchanan had a great game, but to say that Davies did is revisionist history.  Davies was 80% in terms of passing.  He lost possession 26 times on 96 touches.  Those aren't great numbers.

You let Buchanan have a free role under the striker for 20 minutes, and he'd have a ton more dribbles and shots too.