CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

The thread for us to talk (or nervously obsess) about the Play-In (aka the repechaje) for the Copa America over the next 4 months.

It is only a single match that will be played at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, (the home of FC Dallas).
This do or die match in Texas will be played on Saturday, March 23, 2024.
The seeding will work as follows:
"The two CNL Play-In pairings will be determined based on the Concacaf Men's Senior National Team Rankings published after November's FIFA Match Window, with the highest-ranked team facing the lowest-ranked team (1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3)."
https://www.concacaf.com/nations-league/news/dallas-metropolitan-area-to-host-a-decisive-week-of-concacaf-nations-league-matches-in-march-2024/

The CONCACAF Ranking Index (as of October 31st)
(1) Canada   1729
(2) Costa Rica   1676
(3) Honduras   1409
(4) Trinidad & Tobago   1326

Although the rankings above are not those that will be used, from what I can gather, no team will have moved enough during the month of November to switch places with any other team; they are all ranked too far away from one another.
The rankings of the 4 teams that have to play in this "Play-In" will hold.

The matchups will therefore be:
(1) Canada vs (4) Trinidad & Tobago
(2) Costa Rica vs (3) Honduras

Canada vs Trinidad and Tobago it is!

11 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

How did Trinidad hold on for so long vs USA? The leagues most their players play in are shocking. I’m also surprised USA werent able to beat them with 10 men. I guess in the second leg USA didn’t really care but still.

The USA played far too slow in the first half and couldn't break down the Trini bunker. 

In the second half it didn't get much better but then Pepi got his foot on a cross and the ball went in, then the flood gates opened.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

GK: Crepeau, St. Clair, Sirois

😧 Johnston, Laryea, LDF, Miller, Cornelius, McGraw, Adekugbe

M: Eustaquio, Kone, Ahmed, Choniere, Paton, Loturi, Saliba

F: Buchanan, Davies, David, Larin, Millar, Nelson

Never too early for roster predictions, is it?

What’s happened to Kennedy? I’ve generally liked what I’ve seen from him when he’s played.

Just now, cornerkick said:

Are there opportunities for Canada to get a friendly or two in before this game? 

There's usually Caribbean nations available to play in that window, and I'd imagine they probably won't cost a ton.  But man, if they'd only been able to organize themselves fast enough to accept that Saudi Arabia/South Korea combo back in September, they'd have had that extra window to prepare for this series and we might not be in this spot.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

GK: Crepeau, St. Clair, Sirois

😧 Johnston, Laryea, LDF, Miller, Cornelius, McGraw, Adekugbe

M: Eustaquio, Kone, Ahmed, Choniere, Paton, Loturi, Saliba

F: Buchanan, Davies, David, Larin, Millar, Nelson

Never too early for roster predictions, is it?

You know, the sad thing is, 5 months out, it might be too early. Plenty of time for someone we aren’t thinking of to come in, plenty of time for a regular to completely lose form. Knight Lebel has 5 months to start getting regular minutes and Vitoria has 5 months to lose what little minutes he’s getting. Less wishful thinking and more lamenting the fact that we’ve got 5 months between competitive matches.