Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

Lots of coaches will be tempted by our gold generation. It’s an excellent opportunity. Salary might not be great but the potential acclaim would be infinite. 

Poor salary and no resources aren’t  going to attract a good coach. I think we’ll end up worse off. 

1 minute ago, Colonel Green said:

I mean, with his group of players you need a coach who can spur much of the team to perform above its actual talent level, if we want real results in 2026. Herdman was good at that, at least for a while.

I don't think Canada under Herdman every played significantly above its talent level.

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

Lots of coaches will be tempted by our gold generation. Its an excellent opportunity. Salary might not be great but the potential acclaim would be infinite. 

Salary will mean we get someone like BS from Forge. Not a bad solution. That or we convince Neville to take the reigns? It's logical he is the assistant to Biello at the moment, he just joined earlier in the year, but as far as name recognition goes Neville is ahead of Biello. Not sure name recognition matters though...

I guess not bad for what amounts to a part time job but international managers actually don't make as much you might think

https://sportsest.com/fifa-world-cup-national-team-coaches-salaries-2022/?expand_article=1

As an example it looks like a solid manager like Chris Hughton gets paid less to coach Ghana than Herdman got to coach Canada 

Depending on the direction Canada might save money and upgrade all at the same time

Edited by SpursFlu

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

For me the US were ripped for the picking at the Nations League with the drama and everything going on down there but to let the interim coach soundly outcoach you was very very bad.

Heck, all he had to do was watching the tapes on how Croatia and Morocco neutralized his cherished 3-5-2 and predictably, he didn't respect the US interim coach enough to make adjustments. 

We needed change because our 3-5-2 has been figured out since the the WCQ because we actually didn't look that great in the last few games during those either

I agree with getting figured out, but I am not sure the issue is the 3-5-2. Or rather, regardelss of the formation we play, I think we would still run into the same challenges. We are a transition and speed based team. When teams sit with a low block, we have a terrible time trying to break them down. Say we go with a 4-3-3. We still have buchanan, laryea and davies speed all neutralized against a low block. David is great on transition too and he would still be isolated. Hoilett and an in form oso are really our best bet at trying to break open a low block. 

I think the biggest issue we have (against the low block) is that we need a creative link up man. 

Edited by Bigandy

2 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

I really hope they just hand it to Neville and be done with it. I don't trust the CSA for a second to find a good outside replacement moving forward. I don't think Biello has much to offer, and it would be such a CSA move to go on the cheap and just run with him and drop the intern tile. All about the cheap..

If he coaches like his brother than no thank you.

21 minutes ago, RojitoTO said:

I love this answer. He's never coached international soccer and I'm sure it's something that he would like to try. Canada is an interesting project folks.  I don't think this is so far fetched. 

I was joking, but with Herdman gone someone should get the Arfield thread going again 

2 minutes ago, baxtefer said:

It's been a while, but any chance Jesse Marsch is still interested in the job?

He could be.

Based on the fact his agent was sort of cold with the statement about him not being named US coach, he could be interested to try his luck with us.

I wouldn't hate Marsch as coach, but he would need to adapt to the international game.

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Do you think Canada has (or had at the time) significantly less talent than USA and Mexico and Costa Rica?

Yes compared to the USA and Mexico.  Our great claim to fame is davies and he was injured for the second half of the octo. 

Alot of our guys have developed alot since the start of WCQ but we far exceeded our xp goals for and against, with david our only player playing on a decent team at a decent level during most of WCQ (davies injury excludes him).

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I was joking, but with Herdman gone someone should get the Arfield thread going again 

Hey, sometimes it's not about money. You get the best bargains when you recruit players/coaches when they're in the daybreak or twilight of their careers. In this case Arsene has made his money and maybe he'd like to have a unique coaching experience before he knows he can't coach anymore.

Just now, Bigandy said:

Yes compared to the USA and Mexico.  Our great claim to fame is davies and he was injured for the second half of the octo. 

Alot of our guys have developed alot since the start of WCQ but we far exceeded our xp goals for and against, with david our only player playing on a decent team at a decent level during most of WCQ (davies injury excludes him).

Exceeding your xG is a sign of luck as much as anything else.

Bobby Smryniotis would be an intetesting choice. A gamble for sure. If thats where we are looking we could do worse than tryint to get Nancy involved. Think he had his fill of boardroom politics at CF Montreal though.

Ideally we bring in someone with experience and credibility. Not holding my breath on that.

I can see Biello taking it for longer than we want. 

1 minute ago, ADP10 said:

I can’t see us having a lot of good options because no one wants to join the shit show that is the CSA. Where we only have 1 scheduled friendly in two windows

All that said, the prospect of working with the young talent coming out of this country and the guaranteed world cup spot will be very attractive. It's going to come down to money as to how high the quality of the eventual hire is. That likely isn't positive for where the CSA is at.