Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

3 hours ago, Cadeau said:

I expect there'll be a new coach for Copa. Its kinda too rude to Biello-who's applied for the job- to say to him: do this interim thing again and then we'll replace you. 

It's rude to let someone trying to be our coach, coach? And not like a friendly in honduras, but Copa America?  Biello should be hoping hard that that's the case, as if he gets hired or not, it's a massive resume builder

5 hours ago, Cadeau said:

I expect there'll be a new coach for Copa. Its kinda too rude to Biello-who's applied for the job- to say to him: do this interim thing again and then we'll replace you. 

And the best part of all this is if Biello does stick around a little while longer, he has no choice but to roll the dice and play who ever is hottest now.  No more brotherhood or starts cause of what you did 3 years ago.  He might actually tell Davies to stick to his position and not take corners, etc...  Larin does not start, Bombito does. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Why? Like you stated re the potential mgr, I'm sure the new Pres was given an opportunity to review CSA financials etc and has been keeping up to date re developments on the coaching hire. It's a critical period for the program and he must know that.

Because he's a provincial president and is voted in by the main voting block, provincial SAs. They are mired in their provincial soccer mindsets, more concerned about kids, local clubs, fees, local politics, and don't come into power because of any sort of NT agenda, male or female, senior or youth. That just comes after, if at all. You are right that he should be up on things, just that he may not put our new coach at the top of the pile.

In fact, there is really no substantial voting block in the current CSA statutes that could be called the "national team" block. No one is pushing from amongst those who voted him in, don't think.

Then there is the other question: he'll have to get up to speed with the new hire Blue at the CSA, with those on the hiring committee for the new coach, with a ton of other interests pulling in this or that direction, and I personally doubt he'll move fast at all. 

Just hope he proves me wrong.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because he's a provincial president and is voted in by the main voting block, provincial SAs. They are mired in their provincial soccer mindsets, more concerned about kids, local clubs, fees, local politics, and don't come into power because of any sort of NT agenda, male or female, senior or youth. That just comes after, if at all. You are right that he should be up on things, just that he may not put our new coach at the top of the pile.

In fact, there is really no substantial voting block in the current CSA statutes that could be called the "national team" block. No one is pushing from amongst those who voted him in, don't think.

Then there is the other question: he'll have to get up to speed with the new hire Blue at the CSA, with those on the hiring committee for the new coach, with a ton of other interests pulling in this or that direction, and I personally doubt he'll move fast at all. 

Just hope he proves me wrong.

I have to think that Blue as CEO & GS will be doing the heavy lifting when it comes to operational stuff. He is the paid full time employee. The Pres doesn't have to get into the trenches. It should be high level stuff only i.e. approve the final selection by Blue. Should be easier than dealing with  inter- provincial politics.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I totally understand this feeling.

But for me the coach never inspires me, it's always been the players who decide fates. 

Carlo Ancelotti isn't going to bring in 3 more Davies. 

The coach doesn’t have to inspire you.  But it is good if he can inspire the players.  

And Ancelotti won’t bring in more Davies.  But maybe he can bring out more from Davies.   

14 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Okay but let's say Biello is with our squad for Copa America, then if we do end up with a new manager it will probably be after Copa America now in all likelihood 

It would be ironic if Biello leads the NT to a surprising finish. Let's say to the semis or even the quarters. How will that look? Mauro you did great and your reward is the front door. I know it's unlikely but why live dangerously.? 

39 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

It would be ironic if Biello leads the NT to a surprising finish. Let's say to the semis or even the quarters. How will that look? Mauro you did great and your reward is the front door. I know it's unlikely but why live dangerously.? 

We are likely on a hiding to nothing in the Copa too, so it's an easy out for the new coach. Lack of prep time etc. It's win win, providing they can get someone within the next two weeks or so.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

With this said, I wonder with the assumption that Biello won’t be our next coach, what his next move is gonna be. CPL? Could a decent Copa showing get him some offers somewhere in Europe? He’s too good of a coach to retire. Maybe assistant for TFC next season, I’m sure Herdman would welcome him. 

44 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

With this said, I wonder with the assumption that Biello won’t be our next coach, what his next move is gonna be. CPL? Could a decent Copa showing get him some offers somewhere in Europe? He’s too good of a coach to retire. Maybe assistant for TFC next season, I’m sure Herdman would welcome him. 

I guess it all depends on how ambitious he is and how low he's willing to start.  Maybe he stays in the Canada U program picture?  Assistant something with CANMNT?  How settled and attached is he in Montreal?   

11 hours ago, costarg said:

I guess it all depends on how ambitious he is and how low he's willing to start.  Maybe he stays in the Canada U program picture?  Assistant something with CANMNT?  How settled and attached is he in Montreal?   

I would think he’d be done with the CANMNT set up if he doesn’t get the job, because if he doesn’t, it’ll be because he was rejected, and I doubt the pay for an assistant is worth having to work with the guy who your bosses told you was better then you. I think the most likely outcome is as an assistant on an MLS squad, hoping he becomes the interim manager when the HC gets fired, and he builds up his career that way. No clue how attached he is to Montreal, however, I’m sure there would be quite the market if he just decided to open up the Mauro Biello Centre for Excellence and built up an elite youth academy in the city or something. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It might be cheesy but it is exactly what we need.

We aren't going to beat teams at the top of or beyond Concacaf on depth, we need our best to play lights out. 

Agreed. I think we have seen that we have guys who seem to find another level in the biggest games for their club. Davies, Eustaquio, Johnston, Crepeau, Shaff all come to mind. And we have small game performers, who can destroy it in general league play and in the right league for them but not so much under the biggest lights when the biggest pressure is on. Johnny David  and a whole list others come to mind.

I hope the new manager can work some sorcery level magic.

Edited by nolando

They may as well give Biello the job at this point especially if they aren't making it a priority to name a more permanent manager because where is the urgency? Just take the interim tag off and make it more permanent.

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

They may as well give Biello the job at this point especially if they aren't making it a priority to name a more permanent manager because where is the urgency? Just take the interim tag off and make it more permanent.

The vote for the new president was a week and a half ago. We almost literally just had a new name emerge with strong credentials in Kuntz, and all indications are they've been working on interviews.  I have no idea where you're getting the "it's not a priority", other than that you're impatient and they aren't sticking to whatever artificial deadline you've made up.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The vote for the new president was a week and a half ago. We almost literally just had a new name emerge with strong credentials in Kuntz, and all indications are they've been working on interviews.  I have no idea where you're getting the "it's not a priority", other than that you're impatient and they aren't sticking to whatever artificial deadline you've made up.

Is Copa America and the June Camp/Friendlies not a soft deadline?

Kevin Blue made it very clear that COPA is a priority and recognized it significance. Its ok for us to expect that the process should adhere to a short time frame. Canada has little to no room for error in that tournament on all fronts. Including and especially managing. Getting this wrapped up is the goal. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JBR said:

Kevin Blue made it very clear that COPA is a priority and recognized it significance. Its ok for us to expect that the process should adhere to a short time frame. Canada has little to no room for error in that tournament on all fronts. Including and especially managing. Getting this wrapped up is the goal. 

How late can they make the announcement? Feels like they have one more week. At most.

Edited by narduch

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

How late can they make the announcement? Feels like they have one more week. At most.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Somewhat related. The Copa America preliminary rosters were due May 5.

Quite possible the new coach won't pick the final squad at this stage. I don't think that's the be all end all either. Most new coaches rely on previous staff as they come into setups.

Really depends on the managers knowledge base of the teams at Copa and what they have pre-made for coming in to give to players. 

Adjusting tactics, vision etc. Likely isn't going to happen even if they are hired tomorrow. Not in a major way. I'd also expect Biello to be assistant for the tournament whether he is staying or going after it.

I think they have another two weeks, maybe three, depending on the candidate and how prepared they are. Top managers interested should already have vision and a dossier prepared for how they envision the Copa and future. They know the fixtures and should know the player pool basically at least. Having preferred backroom staff could be a wrinkle too but I'd imagine that's another thing that could just be put on the backburner until after the Copa. 

44 minutes ago, JBR said:

I think there's plenty of room for error at the Copa. I'm less concerned about the results at it, and more concerned about the process. It's the start of building for 2026, so even if it's last minute I'd rather have the expected 2026 manager in charge and starting to implement his ideas than have Biello manage the team and change to a permit manager after. That would be a wasted tournament to me, even if they pulled off some sort of minimal result.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I think there's plenty of room for error at the Copa. I'm less concerned about the results at it, and more concerned about the process. It's the start of building for 2026, so even if it's last minute I'd rather have the expected 2026 manager in charge and starting to implement his ideas than have Biello manage the team and change to a permit manager after. That would be a wasted tournament to me, even if they pulled off some sort of minimal result.

I fully agree with your take on a new manager and needing to start the 2026 process/cycle now. 

I disagree about there being plenty of room for error. Success is a meaningful tournament, which contributes to the 2026 prep process. It would be an 'error to not have your 2026 manager in place for June 1.