Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

6 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Biello will end up being the full time hire.

Let's be real, with the money the CSA have to offer and the amount of public bullshit there is between the federation and the players, it's not the most attractive job offer for strong coaching candidates (and prospective dual nationals for that matter)

I wonder what the players think of Biello. That will be telling. Also, Herdman will not have his contract paid out to him since he resigned. Correct?

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have mentioned this on the other thread but doing very welll by getting the best out of a limited talent pool is not what we need, in my opinon. That's what I see from Christiansen's history.  

We can do okay on our depth but we to progress.  And to progress we need better from our elite talent.  Someone who can talk to our elite on a level that they are at, someone who has coached elite players before.

Whether we can afford anyone like that I don't know. 

I would argue we have some top notch players but after that, it’s about getting the most out of the rest; and building a system that works as a unit.  I think Herdman did that really well in qualifying and Christiansen could do the same.  But realism also says, we probably couldn’t afford to pay the Panamanians a fee to get him out of his contract.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

In the next 3 years you get to coach in the Copa America and the World Cup.

If anyone is at all interested in coaching international football it sounds pretty sweet to me

This makes the job a much more appealing proposition than it was when Herdman took the reins as someone will want the profile that comes with leading a side into a home World Cup with some decent talent. They will come in knowing the current situation so won’t have the baggage of being unrealistic in their expectations. Best case, is players and CSA both realise the damage the ongoing dispute is causing the program when  you are in the market for a new manager and settle very quickly so it gives a platform for the new hire (rather than one side trying to leverage or worse both). 
I suspect we will get a more high profile manager than when Herdman got the role. Whether that turns out to be a better manager is anyone’s guess 

17 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I wonder what the players think of Biello. That will be telling. Also, Herdman will not have his contract paid out to him since he resigned. Correct?

Assuming so. CSA should also get compensation for him too, unless they had whomever negotiated with CSB handling things, I'm which case we might owe TFC money.

8 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Not too worried, we will end up with a better coach at a better cost.

Would the players have any opportunity to give input about the type of coach they want? Would they indicate what went well under Herdman and what needed attention (i.e. we need a tactician, or we need manager who manages substitutions better, or . . .)?

7 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Would the players have any opportunity to give input about the type of coach they want? Would they indicate what went well under Herdman and what needed attention (i.e. we need a tactician, or we need manager who manages substitutions better, or . . .)?

i would hope that is part of the hiring process, but this is the CSA, and who knows how they go about it

52 minutes ago, NVsoccer said:

What about Pa-Modou Kah?

Won the CPL with Pacific FC in 2021, and was coaching at Whitecaps 2 when Davies was there. He is currently the Charlotte FC assistant manager. He was also linked with the TFC job.

Pa Modou Kah lost his job in Texas because he treated his players like shit. His methods won't fly for long.

1 hour ago, NVsoccer said:

What about Pa-Modou Kah?

Won the CPL with Pacific FC in 2021, and was coaching at Whitecaps 2 when Davies was there. He is currently the Charlotte FC assistant manager. He was also linked with the TFC job.

Don't think that we should be going for a dude who's career benchmark was winning a CPL title and an MLS assistant. 

We  need someone who has SA or European experience in top leagues. We are not Canada 10 or 20 years ago. We actually have players that play in some of the top leagues.  

Lets not sell oir selves short.

1 hour ago, Wilfrid Laurier said:

I would say the most  successful current Canadian manager internationally would be John Van't Schip. Currently managing Greece. I would try to get him.

And while I'm at it I would also get Ralph Krueger (former chairman of Southampton) to head the CSA.

FFS - Robert's back!

The pool of quality coaches that are Canadian or have Canadian roots is very slim. Why create slim pickings for ourselves and seek and appoint a manager with that criteria? At this point in time in our history that would be a disadvantage to us. I can care less if the coach is Canadian. I just want a quality coach.

12 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The coach I’d love for us to get is Thomas Christiansen, the Panama coach.  I think he’s an excellent tactician and would probably come in at a similar salary to Herdman.

Always fun looking back at old quotes:

"Panama coach Thomas Christiansen was equally complimentary of Canada.

"We do know that they're a great team," the Dane said through an interpreter.

"They have players for all strategies on the field," he added, referencing Canada's ability to change formations. "That's why they're a very complicated team in terms of understanding what they are going to do ... That's why they are so dangerous. And not only that, but also the individual quality of some players.""

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I would argue we have some top notch players but after that, it’s about getting the most out of the rest; and building a system that works as a unit.  I think Herdman did that really well in qualifying and Christiansen could do the same.  But realism also says, we probably couldn’t afford to pay the Panamanians a fee to get him out of his contract.

Honest question: does TFC have to pay us for Herdman leaving before the term of his contract?   If so, we could reinvest that cash in the equivalent (?) fee.  And if not - presumably because many contracts allow you to leave them with a certain amount of notice - maybe the same would apply to Christiansen.